Jump to content

Older Parenthood.


Recommended Posts

With the news that Boris has just had another child at the age of 57, do we have anyone on here who has had a child later in life? I know a couple of lads who became fathers again in late 40's/early 50's and they loved it.

Having had 3 grown up children, I couldn't imagine going through all that when half of me is knackered. Isn't that what grandchildren are for...ones you can hand back? Not something I'd like to do but each to their own. My namesake Des O'Connor had a child when he was very old... Late 70's? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

With the news that Boris has just had another child at the age of 57, do we have anyone on here who has had a child later in life? I know a couple of lads who became fathers again in late 40's/early 50's and they loved it.

Having had 3 grown up children, I couldn't imagine going through all that when half of me is knackered. Isn't that what grandchildren are for...ones you can hand back? Not something I'd like to do but each to their own. My namesake Des O'Connor had a child when he was very old... Late 70's? 

One of Tiny Ginger's friends has a dad who is now north of 70 - so would have been Johnson's age or older when said friend was born. He (the son) absolutely hates it. He loves his dad but, out of nowhere, he (the dad) had a heart attack a year or so back and has been a lot, lot weaker since. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

One of Tiny Ginger's friends has a dad who is now north of 70 - so would have been Johnson's age or older when said friend was born. He (the son) absolutely hates it. He loves his dad but, out of nowhere, he (the dad) had a heart attack a year or so back and has been a lot, lot weaker since. 

Yes that's the sort of angle that would worry me. It's not an issue of love or anything like that, more a 'would you be around to do X,Y &Z'? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yes that's the sort of angle that would worry me. It's not an issue of love or anything like that, more a 'would you be around to do X,Y &Z'? 

It's an odd one because a lot of the conversations I've been involved with are of the "do you really want to be picking your kid up from gigs when you're 70?" type but the equal reality is, "do you really want your teenager-to-be to be guaranteed to have to sort out a funeral plan for you?"

It does work for a lot of people so I'm almost certainly being unduly harsh but seeing how much Tiny Ginger's friend has been torn apart by it - and it is different to something unexpected like a cancer diagnosis in someone younger - has been a real eye opener.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

With the news that Boris has just had another child at the age of 57, do we have anyone on here who has had a child later in life? I know a couple of lads who became fathers again in late 40's/early 50's and they loved it.

I had kids in my twenties, and was almost always the youngest parent at school, sports clubs etc - maybe that would be different if I'd lived somewhere a bit less middle class 🙂 

I'd be delighted to have more children now, although I don't think my wife would be too impressed. I've got a lot more time and money than I did then, so I think it could even be easier in some respects.

If you're a bloke having children in your late 50s, it pretty much means your other half is 20+ years younger. Certainly for the people I know, that's the case.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, JonM said:

I had kids in my twenties, and was almost always the youngest parent at school, sports clubs etc - maybe that would be different if I'd lived somewhere a bit less middle class 🙂 

I'd be delighted to have more children now, although I don't think my wife would be too impressed. I've got a lot more time and money than I did then, so I think it could even be easier in some respects.

If you're a bloke having children in your late 50s, it pretty much means your other half is 20+ years younger. Certainly for the people I know, that's the case.

 

I have more time (and definitely more money) but I'd rather enjoy it with my OH now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish in a way. I'm 45 my now partner is 49. She's an incredible mum to her two as she's had to bring them up on her own with their and her autism. The clock has struck as it were.

There are 3 or 4 instances locally of 3 mothers of my lads first school friends have had 2 now 2 who are now adults and 15 years later had another 2.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

One of Tiny Ginger's friends has a dad who is now north of 70 - so would have been Johnson's age or older when said friend was born. He (the son) absolutely hates it. He loves his dad but, out of nowhere, he (the dad) had a heart attack a year or so back and has been a lot, lot weaker since. 

My granddad died at 48 from an heart attack.

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

i couldn't imagine having kids now - they would be younger than my grandkids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mother was younger than her niece.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a difficult one if you have a younger wife who yearns to have children.

As grand parents we find it very tiring when our 18month old grand daughter stays with us for part of the day. If she stays overnight we have to call in one of our other daughters to help us.

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

My granddad died at 48 from an heart attack.

Yes. Younger people dying tends to be regarded as noteworthy. Older people dying is more expected.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Gran was almost 48 when she had my uncle. My Mum was around 25 by this time. My grandfather died in his mid 50's so uncle lost his dad at 13.

He had his son in his 40s.

Uncle hated having parents from an era so removed from his (parents born in 1910 he was born in 1950's)

Later age parents have more money and more patience but less energy. 

I can't imagine starting over. My grandkids wear me out if I have them all day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So can I claim the prize

I had my fist child at 35 and now have 6 including a stepdaughter

The youngest was born when I was 59

I cannot argue that is not fair in many ways on the child when the father is my age

When he is 18 I will be 77 if still around

Obviously and thankfully the mother is younger than myself but will still be 57

Even more obviously I am frequently knackered especially as still working 60 hours a week 

Work takes me away frequently which gives me a break

Posted from a hotel in Berwick on Trent whilst visiting houses affected in last weekends storms   

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, groundhopper said:

So can I claim the prize

I had my fist child at 35 and now have 6 including a stepdaughter

The youngest was born when I was 59

I cannot argue that is not fair in many ways on the child when the father is my age

When he is 18 I will be 77 if still around

Obviously and thankfully the mother is younger than myself but will still be 57

Even more obviously I am frequently knackered especially as still working 60 hours a week 

Work takes me away frequently which gives me a break

Posted from a hotel in Berwick on Trent whilst visiting houses affected in last weekends storms   

 

Are you Julio Iglesias? 😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Are you Julio Iglesias? 😬

Is he staying in Berwick in Trent and looking at storm damage to houses then.

I know the wife is a fan but my knowledge of music is limited to the songs not the background to the people and I have as little interest in the lives of ‘celberities’ as they have in mine.

However looking at Wikipedia I see I am a mere amateur in the raising children game even if he denies one of his.

So third prize only for me behind Julio and Boris

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...