ARMY/NAVY/RAF TRI-FORCES

Morning Everyone,

There will be 1 match in 2022 looking like Sunday October 9th at York RLFC ARMY v RAF followed  hopefully by a Tri-Forces tournament starting in 2023.

* Local schools will be invited to fill both ends of the stadium ARMY/RAF flags goodie bag etc 

* Tickets for the general public will go on sell in the New Year (£ 10 including downloaded programme)

* Each match will have forces displays recruitment etc 

* Sponsorships are looking really good LED/VIP options etc 

* Matches will be LIVE streamed on You Tube (Minimum) however negotiations are going on for TV

* Army/Navy female matches will feature in future as well (RAF I am told at female level struggles a bit)

* 5 year commitment 

* Website coming soon for ticket sales and on-going information (I will post a link here in the new year)

Thats it for now

Paul

On 11/12/2021 at 08:41, ATLANTISMAN said:

Morning Everyone,

There will be 1 match in 2022 looking like Sunday October 9th at York RLFC ARMY v RAF followed  hopefully by a Tri-Forces tournament starting in 2023.

* Local schools will be invited to fill both ends of the stadium ARMY/RAF flags goodie bag etc 

* Tickets for the general public will go on sell in the New Year (£ 10 including downloaded programme)

* Each match will have forces displays recruitment etc 

* Sponsorships are looking really good LED/VIP options etc 

* Matches will be LIVE streamed on You Tube (Minimum) however negotiations are going on for TV

* Army/Navy female matches will feature in future as well (RAF I am told at female level struggles a bit)

* 5 year commitment 

* Website coming soon for ticket sales and on-going information (I will post a link here in the new year)

Thats it for now

Paul

ARMY v RAF CONFIRMED Sunday October 9th at York City Knights RLFC 15-00pm

* TV hopefully confirmed in the New Year

* Website and ticketing also £ 10.00 PP (Inc downloaded programme)

* Both ends will be filled with local schoolchildren Army one end RAF the other

* Displays and recruitment 

* VIP options 

* LED will be installed at the stadium for this match 

I will post a link as soon as they have the website up and running (I expect also that tickets will be available via York and the stadium) 

Cheers 

Paul

We used to have a few armed forces games a few years back,but also the School Teachers put a decent team out too. might go down well if theres lots a school kids in crowd as it says.  all the best and hope its on telly.

The inter services is played every year and has been for 20-30 years. I'm not sure what the big news is.

The Army V RAF has been played at York in the past at Monks Cross around 2003

The Army have played the French military in the past as they have the Aussies and NZ counterparts.

The Army used to play GB Police annually in a comp

The Army women played the RAF for the first time in 2003-4 ish. Seems strange there isn't a regular inter services given the push for equality in the forces etc.

2 hours ago, Stirlin said:

IF the Royal Navy and Army win their first round Challenge cup games they will meet up in the second round.

Problem with the Navy is it doesn't take much for them to be weakened.

Although with this tournament being taken to a new level I have been told that if a top player is needed (Army/Navy) then he will be brought back (As in the Union game) 

There is a lot of thought and effort going into this and I expect it to really take off.

Paul

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFL_President's_Cup

This returns in 2022 following a hiatus for men due to Covid in 2020 and 2021 and there will be a three way women's comp between the Teacherd, Armed Forces and Students.

19 hours ago, Wire quin said:

The Army women played the RAF for the first time in 2003-4 ish. Seems strange there isn't a regular inter services given the push for equality in the forces etc.

I think that's a question of first come first served in ever shrinking forces though. Basically, if you're in the RN/RM, then you will get released for competitive sport if you're an Olympian, pro standard RU, winter sports (skiing, snowboarding, bobsleigh), or boxing - when I say released I mean as in allowed to train professionally. Those, bluntly, are the sports the RN cares about. Otherwise, it comes down to putting together teams from whoever's free in the UK rather than deployed, which means that over time I've seen (and I'm only 40) the standard of services sport drop as the pool of people either good enough, or able to be released to do it, has got smaller.

The army's a bit better, in that I think they will release pro-standard footballers too. Anyway, the issue is that for people to play sport at a decent standard, that takes training, and training takes you away from your day job. This leads (genuinely, I've seen it) to resentment within your unit because they never see you and don't get anyone else to do your job, which means the tasks are covered by people on top of their own jobs. The days when the services were each running large numbers of essentially pro sports teams, who trained together basically as their day job, are (mostly) gone. One of the big reasons the RN was secretly pleased about the decision to ditch the Royal Tournament back at the end of the 1990s was the sheer scale of the manpower tied up for over four months of the year to do Field Gun, once you included triallists and all the other hangers on.

The situation is worse for female sport in one way and better in another. The number of women in the services is so small, comparatively, that it can be difficult to commit to regular sporting fixtures. On the other hand, and no laughing at the back here because this is true as well as funny but it could easily have been RL instead of RU, when I was serving 15 years or so ago a female colleague of mine got her first RNRU full cap within a month of picking up a rugby ball for the first time at the age of 23. If you want to play sport, are female, and in the forces the opportunities are massive, if only because you're a minority of a minority.

My point (sorry, this has got rambly), is that it's probably not a regular thing yet because there's either not the appetite or not the ability to make it so, unfortunately. Hopefully, as time goes on and profile increases, that will change, but there's a queue for that of other sports, including hockey, which used to be a massive inter-services scene and somehow isn't to the same extent - but those involved are keen to put it back - I'd have said they were first in line.

6 hours ago, iffleyox said:

I think that's a question of first come first served in ever shrinking forces though. Basically, if you're in the RN/RM, then you will get released for competitive sport if you're an Olympian, pro standard RU, winter sports (skiing, snowboarding, bobsleigh), or boxing - when I say released I mean as in allowed to train professionally. Those, bluntly, are the sports the RN cares about. Otherwise, it comes down to putting together teams from whoever's free in the UK rather than deployed, which means that over time I've seen (and I'm only 40) the standard of services sport drop as the pool of people either good enough, or able to be released to do it, has got smaller.

The army's a bit better, in that I think they will release pro-standard footballers too. Anyway, the issue is that for people to play sport at a decent standard, that takes training, and training takes you away from your day job. This leads (genuinely, I've seen it) to resentment within your unit because they never see you and don't get anyone else to do your job, which means the tasks are covered by people on top of their own jobs. The days when the services were each running large numbers of essentially pro sports teams, who trained together basically as their day job, are (mostly) gone. One of the big reasons the RN was secretly pleased about the decision to ditch the Royal Tournament back at the end of the 1990s was the sheer scale of the manpower tied up for over four months of the year to do Field Gun, once you included triallists and all the other hangers on.

The situation is worse for female sport in one way and better in another. The number of women in the services is so small, comparatively, that it can be difficult to commit to regular sporting fixtures. On the other hand, and no laughing at the back here because this is true as well as funny but it could easily have been RL instead of RU, when I was serving 15 years or so ago a female colleague of mine got her first RNRU full cap within a month of picking up a rugby ball for the first time at the age of 23. If you want to play sport, are female, and in the forces the opportunities are massive, if only because you're a minority of a minority.

My point (sorry, this has got rambly), is that it's probably not a regular thing yet because there's either not the appetite or not the ability to make it so, unfortunately. Hopefully, as time goes on and profile increases, that will change, but there's a queue for that of other sports, including hockey, which used to be a massive inter-services scene and somehow isn't to the same extent - but those involved are keen to put it back - I'd have said they were first in line.

Ex RN myself , thanks for the forces update.

On 11/12/2021 at 12:59, ATLANTISMAN said:

Already on this:) and suggested to FFR13 FRENCH ARMY v ARMY.

Paul

Do you remember the Battaillon  de Joinville ?

We played them ( not sure if Barla or NCL Eagles ) years ago . Really tough encounter in the best sense.

Elite athletes under  the then French National Service ( finished 2002 ) could elect to go there and over 21000 did just that. A highly  trained  RL squad. 

Recently re-constituted   though as I understand with  maybe Olympics in mind....

Opportunity  for one of our  Forces  Teams ?

On 16/12/2021 at 10:16, iffleyox said:

Some salient points made there.  Speaking as an ex-RNRL player, the demise of Field Gun worked slightly in our favour as our inaugural year coincided with its sad departure, this freed up a lot of dyed-in-the-wool FG types to give RL a try (many were union biased previously) or, particularly for the lads who emanated from the RL heartlands, we were finally given the chance to play the sport we loved and grew up with - which was the perfect compensation for losing the best service competition ever created.   Bitter/sweet really.

PRESS CONFERENCE confirmed for Monday February 7th in York 14-00pm

* Firstly the press will be invited to a local military event 

* Followed by press conference (Which will be streamed LIVE)

* Luncheon with military top brass

Cheers 

Paul

PS/Apologies just edited this to the correct date:)

On 11/12/2021 at 12:59, ATLANTISMAN said:

Already on this:) and suggested to FFR13 FRENCH ARMY v ARMY.

Paul

Remember that as curtain raiser for Paris game on 1994 Australian tour. Surely they've organised something regularly by now?

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Archived