Red Bull Rugby League?

It's off season so random thoughts and opinions. Red Bull like to buy into sports clubs rename the club such as Red Bull Salzburg. If them or a similar company investor came along would you want the identity of the club to be stripped and renamed for a cash injection or is a hard pass. Like the Red Bull Rhinos playing out of Red Bull Arena Headingley or similar? 

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Surely even Red Bull wouldn’t be stupid enough to sink any money into that chasm. 

Tbf they picked up a team in the former East Germany and have taken them to the Champions League knock outs so Bradford (Red) Bulls would be a walk in the park...

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf they picked up a team in the former East Germany and have taken them to the Champions League knock outs so Bradford (Red) Bulls would be a walk in the park...

Surely Leipzig can’t have been as much of a basket case as Bradford. 

Not sure about other clubs but I can recall a time when the programme (remember them?) at Saints would make reference to the sponsor ie your McEwans Lager Saints, I think some NRL clubs have done similar.  I thought it was crass and the idea of sports teams seemingly disrespecting their heritage by giving sponsors part of the name just doesn’t sit right with me however it’s got nothing to do with what I think 😂 it would be market forces that dictated such a thing. Hopefully Rugby League is in a healthy state in the next few years where this would be a consideration as that would mean the game was attractive for sponsors. I just hope to God that if it happens it’s not Totally Wicked, Mecca Bingo or Mend a Hose. Whatever though money will dictate.

Most logical would be a new club though. Not even sure if Cornwall have a nickname…so it could fit there

25 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Not sure about other clubs but I can recall a time when the programme (remember them?) at Saints would make reference to the sponsor ie your McEwans Lager Saints, I think some NRL clubs have done similar. 

The clubs did, and no-one else. Money for old rope from the sponsors.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Surely Leipzig can’t have been as much of a basket case as Bradford. 

They were a fifth division club from outside Leipzig who Red Bull bought the footballing license from.

An RL comparison might be taking over Keighley, moving them to Leeds/Bradford and pumping shedloads of money. Though originally Red Bull had wanted to take over a more established club already in a major city.

43 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Not sure about other clubs but I can recall a time when the programme (remember them?) at Saints would make reference to the sponsor ie your McEwans Lager Saints, I think some NRL clubs have done similar.  I thought it was crass and the idea of sports teams seemingly disrespecting their heritage by giving sponsors part of the name just doesn’t sit right with me however it’s got nothing to do with what I think 😂 it would be market forces that dictated such a thing. Hopefully Rugby League is in a healthy state in the next few years where this would be a consideration as that would mean the game was attractive for sponsors. I just hope to God that if it happens it’s not Totally Wicked, Mecca Bingo or Mend a Hose. Whatever though money will dictate.

Most logical would be a new club though. Not even sure if Cornwall have a nickname…so it could fit there

The Totally Wicked Saints would be a fairly amusing name tbf. 

Red Bull picked Leipzig for its infrastructure; an airport, major road connections and a large, modern stadium as well as their not being a top flight club from the city since the early nineties so based on that, you’re probably looking at Newcastle Thunder or London Broncos based on that, though you’d probably say Wigan and Bradford aren’t far behind either. 

That said, while their model in terms of football is pretty admirable and been a big part of some players careers, morally, it’s all wrong how they’ve gone about acquiring clubs and I wouldn’t want any of the teams I support in any sport being picked up by Red Bull and being an “out of the box” copycat of a club, if you will. 

7 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Red Bull picked Leipzig for its infrastructure; an airport, major road connections and a large, modern stadium as well as their not being a top flight club from the city since the early nineties so based on that, you’re probably looking at Newcastle Thunder or London Broncos based on that, though you’d probably say Wigan and Bradford aren’t far behind either. 

That said, while their model in terms of football is pretty admirable and been a big part of some players careers, morally, it’s all wrong how they’ve gone about acquiring clubs and I wouldn’t want any of the teams I support in any sport being picked up by Red Bull and being an “out of the box” copycat of a club, if you will. 

They only settled on Leipzig, and the 5th division side outside Leipzig at that, after trying to get involved with the established teams (Fortuna Dusseldorf for example) or the smaller sides in big cities (St Pauli and 1860 in Hamburg and Munich respectively). Salzburg and New York were also not complete unknowns iirc, and rumour has it they were at one time interested in acquiring Leeds United. RB Leipzig are the exception rather than the rule I suppose.

In broader terms, we're seeing "football groups" with 2 or more clubs becoming more and more popular. Red Bull are the most obvious, but City Football Group have clubs all over and even Brentford have a sister club in Denmark, as do Watford in Italy. It would be interesting to see if an RL club became a part of these, or an RL club set up their own with say Wigan owning Swinton and an elite 1 team.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The Totally Wicked Saints would be a fairly amusing name tbf. 

There was a broadside ballad published in 1690 called The saint turned sinner.  It was a crude attack on the Quakers, as its subtitle, which was The dissenting parson's text under the Quaker's petticoats, implies.  'Saints' and 'Dissenters' were both terms used to describe Quakers.

Here is a link to the excellent City Waites singing it:

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

There was a broadside ballad published in 1690 called The saint turned sinner.  It was a crude attack on the Quakers, as its subtitle, which was The dissenting parson's text under the Quaker's petticoats, implies.  'Saints' and 'Dissenters' were both terms used to describe Quakers.

I’m not being sarcastic here, I reckon you would be an ace person to spend an afternoon in the boozer with. 

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Not the information I expected in this thread, but it turns out every day is a school day. 

Hat tip for this. 

RED BULL was headed up in the UK originally by Harry Drnec the best drinks marketing man ever who came over to the UK  from the USA originally to head up Budweiser in the UK/France/Israel.

Harry was into American football and sponsored the brit league back in around 1984/85 for a while before leaving to set up his own beer importation business where he was a victim of his own success.

Harry would take a couple of holidays every year in some far away place and then do a deal to import the local brew into the UK (Remember the lime in the bottle yes that was him) problem was as soon as a beer was successful the big boys did a deal to brew it under licence in the UK.

Then Harry did the deal for Red Bull and the rest is history.

Without doubt the best marketing man I have ever met and worked with.

Harry once told me to launch a new drink successfully in London all he needed was half a dozen beautiful girls giving out free drinks in a flash bar in the west end invite the press and the rest was history.

The majority of the premium beers we can now buy in the UK are down to him the list is endless.

Paul

55 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Without doubt the best marketing man I have ever met and worked with.

Harry once told me to launch a new drink successfully in London all he needed was half a dozen beautiful girls giving out free drinks in a flash bar in the west end invite the press and the rest was history.

I’ve often wondered if you could make an unfashionable drink such as mild trendy by getting a few good looking celebrities to drink and endorse it, and I think you probably could. In the same way that cider suddenly became popular about 15 years ago, and gin over the last few years. 

Archived