Ref abuse

Ralgex

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who TF do they think they are putting out their negative views on a ref decision from a club account?

Reffing is a combination of art and science played out by a person who always endeavours to do their best and if people can’t handle that, they should choose another sport.

4 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

The RFL/BARLA should come down like a ton of bricks. Ban them from the cup for a season for a start. Would they tweet a video of someone on their team missing a tackle or dropping the ball which may have cost them points in the game?

And the ref has actually got it 100% right if you watch. 

We love to say how much difference there is between football and rugby when it comes to respect. Do we actually mean it? 

1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

I thought it was a penalty - irrelevant really. Behaviour towards refs not good enough alround, at sny age groups. We’ve got to be better. 

I agree with the broad sentiment, but I also think it is relevant whether a call is accurate or balanced. 

In the pro game commentators, coaches, crowds often react to decisions and replays demonstrate that the ref was right. Yet somehow the misconceptions of all these off-field people are glossed over.

If we acknowledge that the officials generally get far more right than we do in real time, then it`s reasonable for us to comment on calls and interpretations. A distinction should be made between constructive criticism and ill-informed abuse.

Looking at this particular incident, I reckon 9 times out of 10 that would be deemed a penalty if the officials had a good view. To put it another way, the defender would have been fortunate to get away with it. That forms part of the context in which the behaviour of the club should be judged.

8 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Just following the lead of pro clubs who've moaned about stuff in the past. Do they ever get punished?

That's a bit of a cop out about the behaviour of the amateur/community clubs who are more than capable of doing things their own way.

But I do agree that more could and should be done with regards to win coaches/commentators distract from poor performances/bad tactical decisions by banging on about a single referee's call.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I agree with the broad sentiment, but I also think it is relevant whether a call is accurate or balanced. 

In the pro game commentators, coaches, crowds often react to decisions and replays demonstrate that the ref was right. Yet somehow the misconceptions of all these off-field people are glossed over.

If we acknowledge that the officials generally get far more right than we do in real time, then it`s reasonable for us to comment on calls and interpretations. A distinction should be made between constructive criticism and ill-informed abuse.

Looking at this particular incident, I reckon 9 times out of 10 that would be deemed a penalty if the officials had a good view. To put it another way, the defender would have been fortunate to get away with it. That forms part of the context in which the behaviour of the club should be judged.

I agree with most of this but would add.

But yelling from the side in real time is never Constructive criticism

One of the things that winds me up about this is the club-to-club, player-to-player solidarity these tweets and replies show. If somebody in charge of Ackworth's twitter account didn't think it was a penalty, did they think the Toll Bar player took a dive? But it's always the ref who is the other. This othering absolutely needs to be met with zero tolerance.

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

Ban both teams, using social media to call out a ref is disgraceful and disrespectful, especially now when the sport is struggling to get people involved in officiating the game.

Under one of the (several) comments someone has called it a disgrace that they didn't have any touch judges for a semi final.

Their inability to connect it to public responses like this is wonderful to behold.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Under one of the (several) comments someone has called it a disgrace that they didn't have any touch judges for a semi final.

Their inability to connect it to public responses like this is wonderful to behold.

Exactly that, theres a very good reason they didnt have touch judges, and abusing them on the pitch, after the match and on social media feeds into all that.

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

One of the things that winds me up about this is the club-to-club, player-to-player solidarity these tweets and replies show. If somebody in charge of Ackworth's twitter account didn't think it was a penalty, did they think the Toll Bar player took a dive? But it's always the ref who is the other. This othering absolutely needs to be met with zero tolerance.

100% agree with this. Across almost all sports, if a player takes a dive or cheats it is the ref's fault for not spotting it and never the players fault for taking the dive.

The players and coaches need to lead on this by calling out the cheats not just laying the blame on the ref's.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

100% agree with this. Across almost all sports, if a player takes a dive or cheats it is the ref's fault for not spotting it and never the players fault for taking the dive.

The players and coaches need to lead on this by calling out the cheats not just laying the blame on the ref's.

Its always wound me up that, players and coaches moaning about a ref missing something when they spend the entire match trying to con the ref. 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Ban both teams, using social media to call out a ref is disgraceful and disrespectful, especially now when the sport is struggling to get people involved in officiating the game.

There's actually a fair amount of that from the Twitter accounts of some pro/semi-pro teams, albeit more from a passive-aggressive style than the above.

One particular serial offender is the Bradford Bulls Twitter account, though they are by no means the only ones...for instance these ones are all from one game (against Toulouse on September 5th) and they are like this most weeks...literally full of "this just happened, but the referee rules otherwise" type comments

9' - TRY - Ben Evans is down needing treatment but the referee waves play on and Toulouse capitalise.

42' - Toulouse lose possession but the referee wipes the tackle count...

65' - Ross Oakes dives over for a try but the referee says knock on!

78' - Toulouse drop the ball but the referee awards them another set.

12 hours ago, Ralgex said:

Is this acceptable? 

Reports on social media of the referee being physically threatened after the game, which is clearly unacceptable. 

Will the RFL or BARLA take action against Ackworth Jaguars for this???

They

12 hours ago, Ralgex said:

Is this acceptable? 

Reports on social media of the referee being physically threatened after the game, which is clearly unacceptable. 

Will the RFL or BARLA take action against Ackworth Jaguars for this???

They should do

It is great to see the reaction of posters on this thread, universal in condemnation for the behaviour demonstrated. Even individuals that don’t agree with each other, agree on this.

However, I think we live in a little bit of denial. Maybe some, moreso than others. Long I have heard supporters claim that the sport is nothing like football and officials are treated with respect.

In reality, you will see significant referee abuse from the sidelines at almost any grass roots venue either side of the Pennines on a weekend for junior games, all the way to seniors. This abhorrent behaviour would go a long way to explain the continual decline in grassroots participation in many sports, including RL.

The call looks right even if the attacker does look to make the most of it. The kick would have been more difficult if after the penalty the players had not abused the ref hence him marching them back 10. I think its fine that people can have an opinion over if it were a penalty or not but I don't think the club Twitter account should be tweeting in that manner especially as they have had the chance to watch the footage and see that it actually were a penalty and was a lazy arm by their defender.

4 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I agree with most of this but would add.

But yelling from the side in real time is never Constructive criticism

Absolutely.

Officials appraise their performances individually and collectively. They are their own constructive critics.

No reason why fans on a forum shouldn`t also contribute to this shared endeavour designed to ensure the rules are applied in the best interests of the game. As you say, the side of the pitch during or after a game is neither the time nor the place.

One of the quotes says:  "Tough losing to a penalty goal in the last seconds of the match, which in our opinion was a very soft penalty at that stage of the game."

So they agree it was a penalty (all-be-it they say soft penalty) but as if the stage of the game should determine the decision.

Like the ref has to decide not only if its a penalty but whether the stage of the game determines whether he gives it.... oh its a close game near the end so best not give that penalty... even though its a penalty...

Archived