Challenge Cup 1st & 2nd Round Draws

Futtocks

24 minutes ago, langpark said:

Galway are running a fundraiser to help subsidise their trip to Pilkington. They say the trip will cost them 10 grand! Surely that is an exaggeration, right? If it is a squad of 25, that means €400pp!!

Probably not far off the coach alone will be a big chunk of it. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Why can’t they play this at home… surely this rule needs changing. Missed opportunity to gain some profile and column inches in Ireland.

I agree I saw this draw and was already planning a trip over. Having said that teams entering know the rules before they commit. 

17 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Why can’t they play this at home… surely this rule needs changing. Missed opportunity to gain some profile and column inches in Ireland.

As the narrative states, non UK teams have to travel here as part of the conditions of entry. Presumably to avoid UK teams getting lumbered with significant costs.

2 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

As the narrative states, non UK teams have to travel here as part of the conditions of entry. Presumably to avoid UK teams getting lumbered with significant costs.

Yeah I understand the rules and reasoning. Just seems a shame really and quite short sighted. I’m sure a solution could be arranged to cover this eg A (very) small proportion of the cup sponsorship could be ringfenced for this for example.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Galway are running a fundraiser to help subsidise their trip to Pilkington. They say the trip will cost them 10 grand! Surely that is an exaggeration, right? If it is a squad of 25, that means €400pp!!

Sounds about right, with flights, travel to/from airport both sides, sustinence and accommodation, plus probably covid tests. That said they just have known they’d almost certainly have to play in the North of England and why that would cost, so surprised they left it until now to raise the money. 

22 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Yeah I understand the rules and reasoning. Just seems a shame really and quite short sighted. I’m sure a solution could be arranged to cover this eg A (very) small proportion of the cup sponsorship could be ringfenced for this for example.

If Galway were to win (unlikely I know) would they be allowed play at home in the next round? These rules are crazy to be honest, a game in Ireland could really raise the profile of the teams over here.

3 hours ago, Keith989 said:

If Galway were to win (unlikely I know) would they be allowed play at home in the next round? These rules are crazy to be honest, a game in Ireland could really raise the profile of the teams over here.

To be honest, it does make sense.  Teams sign up knowing what the furthest possible match will be and what their budget is.  If you start getting teams from further afield signing up, then there are some teams that may struggle to make the trip.  The last thing you would want to see in a competition like this, is forfeits too.  In 2019, Red Star Belgrade played.  They did so knowing that they would need to play away.  If extra funding or sponsorship can be found, then yes, by all means, start playing matches abroad.  Otherwise, I would say, leave the rules as they are.

As for raising the profile, I am not all that sure it would.  Ireland vs Australia, a World Cup match, barely got 5000 in 2013.  Not sure how much of a drawcard or a household name the Pilkington Recs would be in west Ireland.

12 hours ago, langpark said:

To be honest, it does make sense.  Teams sign up knowing what the furthest possible match will be and what their budget is.  If you start getting teams from further afield signing up, then there are some teams that may struggle to make the trip.  The last thing you would want to see in a competition like this, is forfeits too.  In 2019, Red Star Belgrade played.  They did so knowing that they would need to play away.  If extra funding or sponsorship can be found, then yes, by all means, start playing matches abroad.  Otherwise, I would say, leave the rules as they are.

As for raising the profile, I am not all that sure it would.  Ireland vs Australia, a World Cup match, barely got 5000 in 2013.  Not sure how much of a drawcard or a household name the Pilkington Recs would be in west Ireland.

How can Galway and the longhorns sides find the funding but clubs in the UK can't? You literally can't get smaller clubs than these. it's not like they are getting thousands off the local council or anything.

I'm not saying it it will make the mainstrean sporting headlines, just that it will raise the profile of the club among rugby players of both codes here. Rugby league Ireland had the draw on their facebook page. A popular station like "off the ball" could've potentially covered the game in Galway, they've already given coverage to rugby league in the past. It's the small things that can add up. 

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Further down the line has Toulouse commited or reneged (again) on this year's comp?

Wasn't so long ago that the RFL were trying to get French clubs to place a £500k bond to enter the Challenge Cup. Would you bother?

16 hours ago, Scubby said:

Wasn't so long ago that the RFL were trying to get French clubs to place a £500k bond to enter the Challenge Cup. Would you bother?

Trying is the optimum word, it wasn't carried through, Catalan have continued in the competition and there is no reason why Toulouse shouldn't, I can understand lower League clubs not in the comp but it is very poor showing for a SL team.

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Trying is the optimum word, it wasn't carried through, Catalan have continued in the competition and there is no reason why Toulouse shouldn't, I can understand lower League clubs not in the comp but it is very poor showing for a SL team.

Would they be allowed in on the same terms as every other club? Or would you insist they paid the expenses of every club drawn away at Toulouse in the Challenge Cup? If it is the latter then it is not a level playing field and therefore they can do what they want in terms of the cup.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Would they be allowed in on the same terms as every other club? Or would you insist they paid the expenses of every club drawn away at Toulouse in the Challenge Cup? If it is the latter then it is not a level playing field and therefore they can do what they want in terms of the cup.

Sorry Scubby but I don't hold with this, I have nothing against teams from other countries playing in the British League system - give it any other name you wish but essentially that is what it is - being they applied and were accepted to join they should take part in all it's competitions whatever the circumstance and being they are a SL club the premier form of Rugby League in the Northern Hemisphere, it really doesn't say much to those outside of the sport if one of the 12 elite club's can suit themselves if they can bothered or not with taking part.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry Scubby but I don't hold with this, I have nothing against teams from other countries playing in the British League system - give it any other name you wish but essentially that is what it is - being they applied and were accepted to join they should take part in all it's competitions whatever the circumstance and being they are a SL club the premier form of Rugby League in the Northern Hemisphere, it really doesn't say much to those outside of the sport if one of the 12 elite club's can suit themselves if they can bothered or not with taking part.

Don't apologise. You didn't answer the question about the Challenge Cup you went off on a tangent. They are not members of the RFL. They have been invited into the league competition and have now ascended to SL. 

So if they want to play in the cup, would they be allowed in on the same terms as every other club? Or would you insist they paid the expenses of every club drawn away at Toulouse in the Challenge Cup?

If that is the case then they can politely decline as the cup is a separate competition and they are not RFL members.

Archived