Adverts on Total RL

1 hour ago, meast said:

Don't know if it's been posted anywhere else or not?

But is anyone else using the forums on a mobile browser and having to put up with the massive drop down adverts at the top that are extremely intrusive?

Using a laptop an get extremely annoying pop-up adverts from the task bar end of the screen every time you refresh or change page.

Obviously someone has found a way to get past current pop-up blocker technology.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Padge said:

Using a laptop an get extremely annoying pop-up adverts from the task bar end of the screen every time you refresh or change page.

Obviously someone has found a way to get past current pop-up blocker technology.

I get them coming down from the top on my phone version of the forum too, very annoying as they block the menu. 

7 hours ago, Padge said:

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I get them coming down from the top on my phone version of the forum too, very annoying as they block the menu. 

Yep, I expect we'll get a lecture on this being a free site, but the user experience is terrible. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yep, I expect we'll get a lecture on this being a free site, but the user experience is terrible. 

Yep. Even if 'free' folk will stop using it if/when it becomes more of a struggle or annoyance than it's worth to use. 

I used to be on a gardening forum that was v useful for sharing info and experience, swapping seeds etc but the pop up adverts killed it off within a few months of being introduced. Admittedly they were more intrusive than on here but... 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yep. Even if 'free' folk will stop using it if/when it becomes more of a struggle or annoyance than it's worth to use. 

I used to be on a gardening forum that was v useful for sharing info and experience, swapping seeds etc but the pop up adverts killed it off within a few months of being introduced. Admittedly they were more intrusive than on here but... 

That's what I can never see sense of with the local newspapers on line.

Yes I can understand the rational of having adverts but occasionally I follow someone's link on here to a local newspaper and then quickly give up as its awful awaiting the adverts and especially video clips.

Is it any wonder readership plummets on local newspapers or even main stream online news.  

Balance being the key...

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Would you guys rather pay a subscription fee for the forum with no ads?

It’s either/or, I’m afraid. It costs money to keep this thing online. 

And there's the dismissive lecture foreseen earlier in the thread.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 hours ago, Padge said:

I turn my ad blocker off on TRL for the reason John has explained.

Most of the ads are fairly unobtrusive but those ones that have started popping up from the bottom of the screen are really annoying. They cover up a lot of the forum links.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I have a distant memory of paying a tenner to stay on here. I don't know when that happened or why but it was evidently an absolute bargain.

Thanks to all who keep it free to use and to those who contribute; it's fantastic and has been for many years. 

Waking up in the morning to put my phone on snooze, it's usually BBC, Guardian, Twitter, Total RL .... 

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

While I understand that viewpoint do you not think this forum generates more business for League Express and RL World than would be the case without it? A loss leader so to speak.

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

I would pay a few quid a month personally, though it would obviously stop new contributors and would become (even more of) a community of sadsacks slowly getting old. 

11 hours ago, John Drake said:

People aren't complaining about advertising, it's the intrusive pop up or down annoying ones which spoil the experience of using the site as you have to continually shunt them off to read posts.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

21 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Stop it Les, you are going to dig a hole for yourself with the admins!

29 minutes ago, Jack Russell said:

Nothing too intrusive on my phone here. I have one ad at the top of page and one as I scroll past the comments. I have no problem. Maybe I just don't visit sites some of you guys go on 🤔

It's when you are clicking the notification icon, you have to click to remove the banner to use that link. 

The reply link can also be covered at times, but that seems a bit random for me. 

I appreciate the adds here aren’t too obtrusive here. I leave websites if bombarded by advertising that is popping up. The ones that feature movement do my head in. 

One add I do keep getting is requests to join Mensa. As some contributors here are clearly members already, any suggestions about the organisation would be welcome.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

4 hours ago, RayCee said:

I appreciate the adds here aren’t too obtrusive here. I leave websites if bombarded by advertising that is popping up. The ones that feature movement do my head in. 

One add I do keep getting is requests to join Mensa. As some contributors here are clearly members already, any suggestions about the organisation would be welcome.

All you have to do is fill a form in and pay the fee and you're in. 

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

Has it been worth it for you being a member?

Not really. I let it lapse.

It was a bit of an ego boost at first to get the score I needed to get in, but it didn't amount to any more than that.

I never put it on a c.v. in the hope that it would help me get a job, it struck me as a little bit pretentious and oafishly self aggrandising.

Most people I meet seem interesting to me, even if they turn out to be of below average intelligence, they usually have some capacity to amuse, intrigue, enchant or delight me in some way. Being clever is just one aspect of the multi-facetted human condition.

Also, in my experience high IQ doesn't automatically translate to ''nice to be with'' (not often, in truth), and many times exhibits arrogant and aloof, anti-social behaviours.

My mother (a very intelligent woman) would have said ''So you're in Mensa, big deal!''

I'd much rather have had a big willy, or a million quid in the bank. 

My advice is, if you're drawn to it, go alone and suck it and see. 

Archived