Fev and Leigh to join SL 2022

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

That's a lot of words.

What I would expect to happen is, if there are issues, that we revert back to the percentage and minimum game approach with the line-up as it is now.

I agree with you about the Championship. It should be a good competition this year.

Revert to 10 teams?

The percentage for COVID affected postponements is greatly increased by having fewer teams, which in turn reduces Sky's chances of rescheduling their broadcasts.

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

This is an excellent hypothetical that simply won't play out 😂

Something to talk about though isn't it Tommy, and it does raise a few opinions those that are worth consideration should it come to pass that there is a travel ban - never say never - and also those not worth the time and effort.

14 minutes ago, M j M said:

I know, I know and we all regretted allowing them in all season. The lesson has been learned.

But as was said last season the reason to promote a club was the void being left by Toronto's exit and the effect on SL in maintaining the SKY commitment to the number of agreed games, the error would be double should the two French teams be unable to commit to the season.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Something to talk about though isn't it Tommy, and it does raise a few opinions those that are worth consideration should it come to pass that there is a travel ban - never say never - and also those not worth the time and effort.

There won't be a travel ban. There wasn't when we had no vaccines.

I'd have thought you'd have been the first to dismiss this as wishful thinking, much like if someone suggested Newcastle and York coming in instead.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

But as was said last season the reason to promote a club was the void being left by Toronto's exit and the effect on SL in maintaining the SKY commitment to the number of agreed games, the error would be double should the two French teams be unable to commit to the season.

I think most would rather forego some Sky money than have to endure yet another season of Leigh dragging down the standards of Super League.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I'd have thought you'd have been the first to dismiss this as wishful thinking, much like if someone suggested Newcastle and York coming in instead.

Naaah those two wouldn’t have hooked the RL knownowts 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Apparently with the vaccine programs that are available we are seeing record numbers of infections both here and in France, will either country want regular visits either way, I don't know the answer but apparently you do.

5 minutes ago, M j M said:

I think most would rather forego some Sky money than have to endure yet another season of Leigh dragging down the standards of Super League.

Then in my opinion you are totally wrong, tight fisted wanting every available penny and protection from being the bottom club are two very big reasons that SL club's would not vote to give a promoted club more funding, we know from last season that 11 teams is not the optimum number for SKY, so two more teams would require more financing.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And will the two French teams then have their records expunged and be banned for life from the comp as Toronto was?....just wondering...you know blind standards and all.

Keep stirring that pot Harry and once this is all over I haven't forgotten your promise...I'll be having that free meal with a nice bottle of French wine and a game day at Leigh....I will be there; take it to the bank!

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes of course it was but it was also fabricated to be that way.

Also would you expect if a ban on travel to France came about and SL would be 2 club's short that SKY would not insist on the number's being raised for the TV schedules.

I would not want my team or any other contender for the Championship crown to be promoted, they have the makings of a very vibrant competition next season. If the numbers did have to be made up to suit SKY then take two of the expected bottom dwellers from the Championship to make up the number's, after all in popular opinion anyone at this late stage who got promoted would be in a hiding to nothing, wouldn't they? Leigh in my opinion were stupid in accepting the conditions they did last season, they should have demanded more funding than any other SL club or told them to stick it, and so should any other Championship club for what is in all purpose just helping SL out of a problem.

Just out of interest, what percentage of their additional funding did Leigh spend?

3 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Leigh were embarrassing on and off the field last year, one would expect exactly the same the next time they come up for another 12 month spell….

Has there been a season in SL where they haven't been an embarrassment on and off the field? They really must have reached the point that only desperate players and coaches will sign for them now.

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Apparently with the vaccine programs that are available we are seeing record numbers of infections both here and in France, will either country want regular visits either way, I don't know the answer but apparently you do.

Elite Sports Harry, don't kid yourself.

Archived