Boxing Day Batley (A)

Wakefield Ram

4 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I know it will probably be the usual full squad getting a game but how do we think we will do?

I will be looking esp at how our half backs go and hopefully we will play some more expansive rugby. 

Well i have already got my ticket for the other place. I hope it is not just a precession of players.The team and lee need show how and what style they are going to play.If it is like last season then he and sykes must go.The home form was very poor,which says it all.

20 minutes ago, silcoates said:

Well i have already got my ticket for the other place. I hope it is not just a precession of players.The team and lee need show how and what style they are going to play.If it is like last season then he and sykes must go.The home form was very poor,which says it all.

Sounds like you have already made your mind up that you don't like the team that you profess to support. 

And a Merry Christmas to you, too.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It's a shame that we seem to start new seasons nowadays with an expectation of a relegation scrap rather than challenging for any honours ......... But, the reality is that we struggle to compete financially and we've probably suffered more than most Championship clubs over the course of the pandemic...... The loss of Royal Suite function hire and Sunday Car Boots must have impacted hugely.......... never the less, there seems to be an air of optimism for the season approaching and, as always, the best we as supporters can do, is get behind the Team and coaches and the backroom people who give so much to keep "our" club afloat AND in the Championship. I've just ordered my season ticket and a couple of (rather large) Replica shirts - home and away - tickets for the Giants & HKR games and, assuming it's 'on', I'll be there on Boxing Day..... I'm looking forward to the Season and hope that we can pick up where we left off just before the first lockdown..... that game at home to Widnes was an excellent performance and I don't recall anyone slagging off LG then. There's one thing certain as a Rams Fan .......... "You never know" !!    Merry Xmas and a Healthy 2022 to all.

8 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sounds like you have already made your mind up that you don't like the team that you profess to support. 

And a Merry Christmas to you, too.

Not at all,if that was the case i wouldn't have already bought a season ticket as a i have done for donkeys. I'm  glad you were happy with the style the coach applied last year.This club can't afford to lose a single fan, but playing like the team did last season drove a few a way,i know that. If the club has sold a few hundred more st tickets than last year then i'll admit i was wrong.

14 hours ago, silcoates said:

Not at all,if that was the case i wouldn't have already bought a season ticket as a i have done for donkeys. I'm  glad you were happy with the style the coach applied last year.This club can't afford to lose a single fan, but playing like the team did last season drove a few a way,i know that. If the club has sold a few hundred more st tickets than last year then i'll admit i was wrong.

Here here. Well said silcoates.  My dad and brother both stopped watching in last two years after supporting the club for donkeys and, as you say, they aren’t the only ones. 

16 hours ago, silcoates said:

So you don't find "sack the coach" just a bit premature?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The way I see the great season ticket debate🤔

While the spectre of covid-19 hangs over us... Again people will not want to commit to something stretching over 10 months when at any point can be shut down, I personally gave the club my season ticket money like many other fans... But the prospect of having to repeat that will put off a number of fans, with the instability of games been played if another lockdown comes... And it could again can put fans off, I simply don't see season ticket numbers rising until covid-19 has done one and the world returns to normal, we got suckered into a false sense of security after the last covid-19 wave died down, now its back in a different variant... This could be the norm for the next few seasons, how we address this impact on our game I don't know... The fans need assurance the season goes ahead, the clubs need the revenue to survive. 

Maybe an idea for season tickets is an half & half system, where you commit to half the season, and if your satisfied games will be played then purchase the second half of your season ticket🤔

This might give fans confidence to stump money up in advance and if the games were pulled mid season fans would only lose a small percentage... Just an idea🤔

I don't know about anyone else but l have been craving a return to 'proper rugby league' for what seems like forever. l believe it will be hard for all players to adapt to having scrums again so there could be some strange results for the first few weeks. Half backs playing behind a decent pack will have the chance to express themselves, unlike last season where the lack of scrums resulted in space and decision making time being at a premium. 

Roll on next week when we will be able to understand how preseason has been going

Going to the club shop tomorrow to buy my season ticket and shirt(s), and hopefully a few other bits and bobs. Bu**ered if I know what the season is going to be like, or if it will even happen. I support my club and I'm playing my part and up for the ride. It's definitely not going to be easy and my expectations aren't high. Clubs always go through ups and downs on and off the field. I agree some of the games last season weren't the most exciting but I don't think we were short-changed in terms of effort and endeavour and we were rewarded with three good wins at the end of the season. I'm pleased with our signings (I reckon we need a fullback though) and like most Dewsbury fans I just want to see the players roll their sleeves up. Roll on Boxing Day (hopefully).

1 hour ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Going to the club shop tomorrow to buy my season ticket and shirt(s), and hopefully a few other bits and bobs. Bu**ered if I know what the season is going to be like, or if it will even happen. I support my club and I'm playing my part and up for the ride. It's definitely not going to be easy and my expectations aren't high. Clubs always go through ups and downs on and off the field. I agree some of the games last season weren't the most exciting but I don't think we were short-changed in terms of effort and endeavour and we were rewarded with three good wins at the end of the season. I'm pleased with our signings (I reckon we need a fullback though) and like most Dewsbury fans I just want to see the players roll their sleeves up. Roll on Boxing Day (hopefully).

Slightly off topic but can the shop put names and numbers on shirts?

On 19/12/2021 at 10:14, Wakefield Ram said:

He's been here two seasons already and last season was dire in terms of tactics. 5 drives and a kick does not beat many teams and was frankly boring to watch.

Tactics are often dictated by the type of half backs that are playing. Given that we now have two relatively young halves I would anticipate a completely different, more expansive style of play. If it isn't then I would be grumbling with the rest but having a go at the coach before a match has been played makes me think that some people have a different agenda.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Tactics are often dictated by the type of half backs that are playing. Given that we now have two relatively young halves I would anticipate a completely different, more expansive style of play. If it isn't then I would be grumbling with the rest but having a go at thee coach before a match has been played makes me think that some people have a different agenda.

I think you’re saying exactly the same BSJ. You’ve just worded it differently.  

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Tactics are often dictated by the type of half backs that are playing. Given that we now have two relatively young halves I would anticipate a completely different, more expansive style of play. If it isn't then I would be grumbling with the rest but having a go at thee coach before a match has been played makes me think that some people have a different agenda.

There's no agenda, I'm hoping that we will play a more expansive style. The other point is this will be LGs 3rd season, so not having a go before a match has been played. He's had 50 plus games already.

On Covid, think the biggest risk is to the players, I think they will try and keep professional sport going and not sure small crowds like we get will be big Covid risks.

Well, I'm just waiting to see who will be the first coming out with "time for a change" straight after the Boxing Day game. All bets are off, I hear.

For the Boxing Day clash, Lee Greenwood suggests (according to “League Express”) that he expects to pick a full strength squad, with the exception of Ferguson and Tomlinson, who ate both suspended, although I expect that most of the registered players will get some game time.

It might be a full strength squad, but it is minus a full back and I reckon LG might try one of the “extra” half backs to play in the no. 1 rôle. We have done this in the past as I recall Bob Hirst and more recently, Don Richardson, were half backs who became successful last line defenders.

I am going to stake a claim that the starting line-up will be:

1 Harry Copley (squad number 25)

2 Andy Gabriel

3 Adam Ryder

4 Davey Dixon

5 Lewis Carr

6 Alex Smith

7 Matty Beharrell

8 Jimmy Beckett

9 Reiss Butterworth 

10 Harry Kidd

11 Chris Annakin (13)

12 Michael Knowles 

13 Jackson Walker (26)

14 Dom Speakman

15 Aaron Hall (20)

16 Jordan Schofield 

17 Ross Peltier

That then leaves the likes of Brad Graham, Ollie Greensmith, Jake Sweeting (another trialist fullback?), Jason Walton and Jon Magrin to be used - or saved (for the next friendly match).

I wonder if there’s a chance Owen Harrison could play in one of the friendlies, as again suggested in “League Express”:

“Owen Harrison, the prop signed from Hull KR, has not been assigned a squad number because his current circumstances mean he can't commit to training.
The 22-year old is registered to the Rams and could yet feature at some stage next year.”

Legs, Dews, Legs.

11 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

For the Boxing Day clash, Lee Greenwood suggests (according to “League Express”) that he expects to pick a full strength squad, with the exception of Ferguson and Tomlinson, who ate both suspended, although I expect that most of the registered players will get some game time.

It might be a full strength squad, but it is minus a full back and I reckon LG might try one of the “extra” half backs to play in the no. 1 rôle. We have done this in the past as I recall Bob Hirst and more recently, Don Richardson, were half backs who became successful last line defenders.

2 Andy Gabriel

3 Adam Ryder

4 Davey Dixon

5 Lewis Carr

6 Alex Smith

7 Matty Beharrell

8 Jimmy Beckett

9 Reiss Butterworth 

10 Harry Kidd

11 Chris Annakin (13)

12 Michael Knowles 

13 Jackson Walker (26)

14 Dom Speakman

15 Aaron Hall (20)

16 Jordan Schofield 

17 Ross Peltier

That then leaves the likes of Brad Graham, Ollie Greensmith, Jake Sweeting (another trialist fullback?), Jason Walton and Jon Magrin to be used - or saved (for the next friendly match).

I wonder if there’s a chance Owen Harrison could play in one of the friendlies, as again suggested in “League Express”:

“Owen Harrison, the prop signed from Hull KR, has not been assigned a squad number because his current circumstances mean he can't commit to training.
The 22-year old is registered to the Rams and could yet feature at some stage next year.”

They’ll be 20/21 players used by both teams 

28 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

2 Andy Gabriel

3 Adam Ryder

4 Davey Dixon

5 Lewis Carr

6 Alex Smith

7 Matty Beharrell

8 Jimmy Beckett

9 Reiss Butterworth 

10 Harry Kidd

11 Chris Annakin (13)

12 Michael Knowles 

13 Jackson Walker (26)

14 Dom Speakman

15 Aaron Hall (20)

16 Jordan Schofield 

17 Ross Peltier

Ollie Green Smith or Brad Graham might be FB.

From t'other perspective I want to see 2 teams going at it properly playing the best/fittest players and giving a show. Like some of you, I hope it's not a procession of 15 minute changes as neither player, coach nor fan can gauge anything a out performance from that. Regarding the manner of the game I'm advised that it will be a game played under 2021 rules i.e. scrums not used. Let's enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Batley Bob said:

Merry Christmas from across the valley , hope to see a few friendly faces on boxing day 

Merry Christmas to you Bob.

Sadly you won't see any Rams fans on Boxing Day at the Mount - the match has just been called off.

Archived