New TV Contract for NRL

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Over $400m a year for 5 years. A fabulous amount of finance!

I did note that SOO will always be on a Wednesday. Not sure what that means for the mid-season Pacific Tests I had become fond of…

How does this compare to the usual FTA deal? 

44 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I did note that SOO will always be on a Wednesday. Not sure what that means for the mid-season Pacific Tests I had become fond of…

I thought we'd been spared of that second sentence when they announced Origin was on Sunday again this year, should've known better given what V'landys has done so far. 

Massive step backwards and frankly an unforgivable decision unless there's a massive expansion of the Oceanic Cup post-season.

49 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The NRL have been alluding to scrapping mid season internationals for some time. Unfortunately this seems to now be the confirmation.

It's great news about the increase in TV rights. The more money in the game the better. 

53 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

It will be a real shame if the mid season Pacific Tests do go, but the Oceania Cup is a great addition to the calendar for those Nations.

10 minutes ago, UTK said:

I thought we'd been spared of that second sentence when they announced Origin was on Sunday again this year, should've known better given what V'landys has done so far. 

Massive step backwards and frankly an unforgivable decision unless there's a massive expansion of the Oceanic Cup post-season.

A World Cup in 2022 followed by no internationals worldwide for 11 months is so Rugby League

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

How does this compare to the usual FTA deal? 

Cash the same as pre-pandemic levels -  $115m per annum, contra increased from $10m to $15m per annum.

Not mentioned is Telstra forking out $90m over six years for naming rights and mobile streaming rights and it can now be revealed that Foxtel are tipping in about $300m per annum for their pay TV rights, that`s way more than the $250m I had them down for.

The total deal now when all broadcast deals are included( not including naming rights ) is over $2 billion for the five years ( 2023 - 2027 ) compared to the $1.8b negotiated in the 2015 deal.

One other thing; Abdo said an 18th team is a definite possibility before this deal expires.

21 minutes ago, UTK said:

No matter your views on State of Origin it is insane to suggest the games, the biggest rating events we have, should be played on anything other than the proven peak timeslot. To call it unforgivable is ludicrous.

Whenever they get played on anything other than Wednesday nights the ratings go down. Given how much Nine are paying it would be crazy to insist on a different scheduling pattern against the broadcaster's very clearly expressed wishes. 

A little more here:

The ARLC has secured a record broadcast deal for the game after  reaching a new free-to-air broadcast agreement with Nine Entertainment until the end of the 2027 season.

The deal, which includes coverage of the Telstra Premiership, Telstra NRLW Premiership and Ampol State of Origin series, ensures that Nine, Fox Sports and Sky TV New Zealand have now all agreed to new partnerships and increased commitments.

The overall value of the NRL broadcast rights is an increase on the current five-year deal, which expires at the end of next season and was reported to be worth $1.8 billion when finalised in 2015.

The total media rights revenue for game under the new deal is now valued at more than $400m per annum for five years, from 2023 to 2027.

NRL 2021: NRL, Nine, Fox Sports, Sky NZ, ARLC secures record broadcast deal - NRL

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

No matter your views on State of Origin it is insane to suggest the games, the biggest rating events we have, should be played on anything other than the proven peak timeslot. To call it unforgivable is ludicrous.

Whenever they get played on anything other than Wednesday nights the ratings go down. Given how much Nine are paying it would be crazy to insist on a different scheduling pattern against the broadcaster's very clearly expressed wishes. 

You can still play Origin on Wednesdays without cutting the Pacific tests. 

Ratings for NRL games around Origin also begin to fall off a cliff due to the disruption it causes to the competition. There's no reason we couldn't transition toward representative weeks that are filled with international fixtures in slots where NRL games usually occur.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

OK so what are you complaining about exactly?

The NRL cutting the Pacific Tests? Not sure how I can spell that one out any clearer.

As Damien mentioned above, the NRL have been suggesting the removal of the mid-season tests in favour of wholly post-season Internationals for the last 12 months. There was some hope this wasn't the case when the 2022 fixtures were announced recently but this confirms what they've been discussing for the past year.

I know it will be no doubt extremely difficult, but shouldn't the International board be scheduling these tests anyway?, while working with the NRL/RLPA to ensure players are available. Recent history suggests such a thing is unrealistic, on many levels. But an NRL TV deal shouldn't signal the end of such tests.

Cue laugh emojis.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

55 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Cash the same as pre-pandemic levels -  $115m per annum, contra increased from $10m to $15m per annum.

Not mentioned is Telstra forking out $90m over six years for naming rights and mobile streaming rights and it can now be revealed that Foxtel are tipping in about $300m per annum for their pay TV rights, that`s way more than the $250m I had them down for.

The total deal now when all broadcast deals are included( not including naming rights ) is over $2 billion for the five years ( 2023 - 2027 ) compared to the $1.8b negotiated in the 2015 deal.

One other thing; Abdo said an 18th team is a definite possibility before this deal expires.

A ‘definite possibility’ isn’t that committal to be fair. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A ‘definite possibility’ isn’t that committal to be fair. 

Yes I totally agree but for me it shows the mindset is there. Which on a little more reflection I suppose is hardly surprising, there is no point hanging around on 17 and they will be looking for 18 to drive the next broadcast deal. Just a matter now of who will put their hand up.

42 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

This is a great financial win for the Aussies. What about Triple M coverage though? Has that been lost now to 2GB etc?  I love the triple M weekend podcasts 😔

I wouldn’t say so. Triple M is an FM broadcaster and 2GB AM

35 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Are we inferring this kills the mid season international window, or is that confirmed somewhere? 

Just inferring. Although a quick check of the season draw for a blank weekend will give us the answer

The financial returns of the new broadcast deal (other than NZ increase) aren't particularly noteworthy............a number of Australian fans believed the last TV deal undervalued NRL compared to AFL. This deal isn't much more, in spite of record TV viewership.

However, perhaps there's significant value to be had from non-financial parts of the 9 deal:

"We are also looking forward to working closely with Nine to create innovative ways to enhance the viewing experience and take fans watching at home inside our venues to experience the tribalism at our games,’’ Abdo said.

“Part of this deal is ensuring we work together to grow the game and provide greater exposure to all levels of rugby league across a variety of media platforms. That’s an exciting outcome for our fans and our participants.”

One question I do have - do the rights include the Kangaroos matches (as well as Pacific nations) or is that now separate and can be negotiated? That would bring additional value (if they ever played any games)

36 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I know it will be no doubt extremely difficult, but shouldn't the International board be scheduling these tests anyway?, while working with the NRL/RLPA to ensure players are available. Recent history suggests such a thing is unrealistic, on many levels. But an NRL TV deal shouldn't signal the end of such tests.

Cue laugh emojis.

Everything from the NRL recently has indicated they want to scrap mid season internationals. There was also an interview with Troy Grant where he had indicated they were essentially giving up trying to organise mid season internationals because the IRL has no clout. Its quite evident that if the NRL don't leave a place for them in the calendar then they wont happen:

Because the IRL currently does not have enough clout, it means this year’s mid-season international window is likely to be a one-off, with a move to the end of the season likely from 2022.

“We’re targeting the end of the year to have the international window so it doesn’t corrupt the professional leagues,” said Grant, who is hoping to strengthen the IRL’s hand through negotiation.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ashes-series-could-take-place-in-2023-in-10-year-plan-for-international-calendar/

48 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Cue laugh emojis.

It doesn’t matter though. The NRL can put enough financial pressure on any NGB in the pacific to convince them not to play mid season.

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

Everything from the NRL recently has indicated they want to scrap mid season internationals. There was also an interview with Troy Grant where he had indicated they were essentially giving up trying to organise mid season internationals because the IRL has no clout. Its quite evident that if the NRL don't leave a place for them in the calendar then they wont happen:

Because the IRL currently does not have enough clout, it means this year’s mid-season international window is likely to be a one-off, with a move to the end of the season likely from 2022.

“We’re targeting the end of the year to have the international window so it doesn’t corrupt the professional leagues,” said Grant, who is hoping to strengthen the IRL’s hand through negotiation.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ashes-series-could-take-place-in-2023-in-10-year-plan-for-international-calendar/

So mid-season Internationals "corrupt" professional leagues eh?  That doesn't seem to be the case in soccer and RU though!

Archived