New TV Contract for NRL

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

So mid-season Internationals "corrupt" professional leagues eh?  That doesn't seem to be the case in soccer and RU though!

Yeah we all know its nonsense. Those sports unfortunately see the bigger picture where as in RL self interest rules.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

So mid-season Internationals "corrupt" professional leagues eh?  That doesn't seem to be the case in soccer and RU though!

Internationals make significant amounts of money for the governing bodies and clubs in soccer and RU, they don't for the NRL and clubs in RL. Until that changes the NRL is always going to be resistant to playing them as the risk reward ratio is way off.

You should be pushing for increased domestic development and exposure if you are serious about changing those circumstances, because internationals will always be a hard sell in Australia until their are a few pro-competitions of similar standard to the NRL kicking about in the rest of the world.

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah we all know its nonsense. Those sports unfortunately see the bigger picture where as in RL self interest rules.

International RL has no hope of ever growing into what it could be until certain people in the sport realise that internationals aren't popular in those sports simply because they are games between national teams...

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

The financial returns of the new broadcast deal (other than NZ increase) aren't particularly noteworthy............a number of Australian fans believed the last TV deal undervalued NRL compared to AFL. This deal isn't much more, in spite of record TV viewership.

So long as the AFL grants national coverage while the NRL is restricted to the eastern seaboard the AFL's broadcast rights will almost certainly always be more valuable than the NRL's. It just is what it is.

Doesn't look like the NRL will expand west anytime soon either, the NRL/ARLC are too focused on their circle jerk in Sydney and, to a lesser extent, SEQ.   

Whilst this may not be good news for international rugby league as a whole, I see it as a positive for our international calendar.

The chance of England playing a southern hemisphere side mid-season is nil anyway. The obvious move is to invest long term in mid-season England internationals against France and Wales (and dare I say the combined nations if necessary) whilst negotiating annual southern hemisphere series (home or away) with nations who will be more incentivised to seize the one window of opportunity they get each year. 

The NRL shunning mid-season internationals should only provide more clarity and structure to our international schedule, not less.

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I can’t imagine they would as much as SOO does, although corrupt seems to be a little bit strong a description.

3 hours ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Whilst this may not be good news for international rugby league as a whole, I see it as a positive for our international calendar.

The chance of England playing a southern hemisphere side mid-season is nil anyway. The obvious move is to invest long term in mid-season England internationals against France and Wales (and dare I say the combined nations if necessary) whilst negotiating annual southern hemisphere series (home or away) with nations who will be more incentivised to seize the one window of opportunity they get each year. 

The NRL shunning mid-season internationals should only provide more clarity and structure to our international schedule, not less.

I am really really struggling to follow that line of reasoning. There is precisely no evidence that the NRL will allow any end of season games beyond the barest minimum token matches. 

The NRL’s success, and I suspect this TV deal has reinforced that, will be at the expense of the international game. 

That said, we are clearly already the biggest football in the region, by a distance, and the potential to cherry pick all the best athletes from Oz, PNG, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and a lot of the best from NZ is clearly going to increase. Let’s face it, if you could back yourself to play the best code on the planet and be well paid for the privilege, anybody backing themselves would take it. And for those more limited/less ambitious, there will always be union and AFL. 

7 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I am really really struggling to follow that line of reasoning. There is precisely no evidence that the NRL will allow any end of season games beyond the barest minimum token matches. 

The NRL’s success, and I suspect this TV deal has reinforced that, will be at the expense of the international game. 

That said, we are clearly already the biggest football in the region, by a distance, and the potential to cherry pick all the best athletes from Oz, PNG, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and a lot of the best from NZ is clearly going to increase. Let’s face it, if you could back yourself to play the best code on the planet and be well paid for the privilege, anybody backing themselves would take it. And for those more limited/less ambitious, there will always be union and AFL. 

Indeed. The NRL were talking about extending the end of season international break by a week instead of having a mid season break. That really doesn't achieve anything beneficial and is certainly no compensation for having no international rugby at all for 11 months of the year.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed. The NRL were talking about extending the end of season international break by a week instead of having a mid season break. That really doesn't achieve anything beneficial and is certainly no compensation for having no international rugby at all for 11 months of the year.

The NRL wants no competition at all around State of Origin. It is desperate not to dilute its golden goose. You could have a situation next year where Jerome Luai and Brian To'o forgo a NSW shirt by opting to play for Samoa. I'm not saying that will happen but it is a possibility if the games clash. How would that look?

4 hours ago, Ray Cashmere said:

I think we (the NH) have to involve Canada, USA and Jamaica (Brazil too, before long) to really promote Northern Hemisphere expansion and bring some novelty and some measure of equality, to the standard the game is played at. Involving England (too early in the piece) is a mistake, in my opinion. The winners of the NH International Championship should play England at seasons end, in a challenge match, to gauge improvements over time. When the tournament winners can compete with England, England can be drawn into the competition proper. 

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Maybe not, but there are consequences to that:

Who is going to fund the work of the ARLC, NZRL and their southern hemisphere counterparts? It may be the NRL, but that's a lot of cost and resource. 

Will players accept being barred from playing for their country? I'd argue many of the players who switched allegiances to the Tier 2 nations are pretty invested in representing their heritage.

The NRL can do as it wants but the reality is they won't expand their player pool if the sport has zero international presence/visibility. 

Great deal for the NRL clubs, the sport is booming down under and finally getting the kind of TV deal that its viewership in the eastern states warrants.

Can't wait for the new NRL season to begin.

I would say what's not to like about all this, but then trhis ids the TRL Forum....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

7 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Internationals make significant amounts of money for the governing bodies and clubs in soccer and RU, they don't for the NRL and clubs in RL. Until that changes the NRL is always going to be resistant to playing them as the risk reward ratio is way off.

You should be pushing for increased domestic development and exposure if you are serious about changing those circumstances, because internationals will always be a hard sell in Australia until their are a few pro-competitions of similar standard to the NRL kicking about in the rest of the world.

A few other pro competitions like the NRL?  Get serious, I think all of us here know that will never happen.

There isn't even the potential for one such competition within the game now and deep down all of us here know it.

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I think we (the NH) have to involve Canada, USA and Jamaica (Brazil too, before long) to really promote Northern Hemisphere expansion and bring some novelty and some measure of equality, to the standard the game is played at. Involving England (too early in the piece) is a mistake, in my opinion. The winners of the NH International Championship should play England at seasons end, in a challenge match, to gauge improvements over time. When the tournament winners can compete with England, England can be drawn into the competition proper. 

IMO have an Ashes Series every other year. And for Welsh, Scottish and Irish players to play for England. England isn't really Anglo, it hasn't been for centuries, maybe some would argue it never has been that Anglo-Saxon. Anyway, I want to see Brian To'o play for Oz and Taumalolo play for NZ. England could play the Kiwis every other year as well I suppose, use PNG and France as warm-up matches. 

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

11 hours ago, Damien said:

A little more here:

The ARLC has secured a record broadcast deal for the game after  reaching a new free-to-air broadcast agreement with Nine Entertainment until the end of the 2027 season.

The deal, which includes coverage of the Telstra Premiership, Telstra NRLW Premiership and Ampol State of Origin series, ensures that Nine, Fox Sports and Sky TV New Zealand have now all agreed to new partnerships and increased commitments.

The overall value of the NRL broadcast rights is an increase on the current five-year deal, which expires at the end of next season and was reported to be worth $1.8 billion when finalised in 2015.

The total media rights revenue for game under the new deal is now valued at more than $400m per annum for five years, from 2023 to 2027.

NRL 2021: NRL, Nine, Fox Sports, Sky NZ, ARLC secures record broadcast deal - NRL

Some bloke in batley will see some negatives in this 

19 minutes ago, The storm said:

Some bloke in batley will see some negatives in this 

That is an absurd, and offensive, comment. But for places like Batley you’d have no game to watch. The reasons why this good news for the NRL is not good news for the world game are patently obvious. 

On balance, reinforcing our game’s destination as the first port of call for all good athletes in the region outweighs the risks of zero internationals. Who knows, they may even come to see internationals as not causing them harm. If the NH gets its act together and taps into our huge under developed potential, then we could find ourselves competing again in the medium term. Thankfully, we have the greatest game. 

18 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

That is an absurd, and offensive, comment. But for places like Batley you’d have no game to watch. The reasons why this good news for the NRL is not good news for the world game are patently obvious. 

On balance, reinforcing our game’s destination as the first port of call for all good athletes in the region outweighs the risks of zero internationals. Who knows, they may even come to see internationals as not causing them harm. If the NH gets its act together and taps into our huge under developed potential, then we could find ourselves competing again in the medium term. Thankfully, we have the greatest game. 

Just need to get many more people watching SL matches at the stadium. The only way I can see us doing that is by converting soccer watchers. 

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league/womens-origin-pacific-tests-changes-near-c-5034990

Confirmation they're scrapped. 

"We care about the International game" 

Yeah get stuffed. 

At least they're transparent about this being to protect Origin from player defections. V'landys and Abdo are absolutely disastrous for the game outside of NSW/QLD, absolutely pathetic.

10 hours ago, LlanWests said:

IMO have an Ashes Series every other year. And for Welsh, Scottish and Irish players to play for England. England isn't really Anglo, it hasn't been for centuries, maybe some would argue it never has been that Anglo-Saxon. Anyway, I want to see Brian To'o play for Oz and Taumalolo play for NZ. England could play the Kiwis every other year as well I suppose, use PNG and France as warm-up matches. 

The NRL have such a strangle hold (now) on the Southern Hemisphere players (and nations) that your wish is highly unlikely to happen. Moreover, what you're asking for is just more of the same old, same old. What we should be focusing on, is the development of an interesting, captivating NH competition, which will be a driver for development up here, rather than accepting what we are given, by the Australians. It's plain to see where their bread is buttered and naive to think that with the eye-watering television deal they've just secured they will shed a tear, for NH Rugby League. We're on our own taffy, so let's stop wasting time, roll our sleeves up and get on with it.

2 hours ago, UTK said:

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league/womens-origin-pacific-tests-changes-near-c-5034990

Confirmation they're scrapped. 

"We care about the International game" 

Yeah get stuffed. 

At least they're transparent about this being to protect Origin from player defections. V'landys and Abdo are absolutely disastrous for the game outside of NSW/QLD, absolutely pathetic.

Under V'Landys and Abbo we've gone from the real talk that existed previously regarding SOO standalone Origins and having more mid season international breaks to the complete opposite.

This is just setting in stone just 3 or so internationals every year and 11 months with no international RL for Southern hemisphere nations. Unless of course its the year after a World Cup when those precious Aussies need a little rest and a year off. Depressing stuff when the game can achieve so much more.

It is even worse than that for the international game of course. There is also the north to south player drain, so that any mid season tests are likely to be played without NRL players being released. Plus, we can expect the off season surgery/protect the pre season at all costs clubs to dilute the post season international teams. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Under V'Landys and Abbo we've gone from the real talk that existed previously regarding SOO standalone Origins and having more mid season international breaks to the complete opposite.

This is just setting in stone just 3 or so internationals every year and 11 months with no international RL for Southern hemisphere nations. Unless of course its the year after a World Cup when those precious Aussies need a little rest and a year off. Depressing stuff when the game can achieve so much more.

8 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It is even worse than that for the international game of course. There is also the north to south player drain, so that any mid season tests are likely to be played without NRL players being released. Plus, we can expect the off season surgery/protect the pre season at all costs clubs to dilute the post season international teams. 

So what are we waiting for?

On 20/12/2021 at 09:12, Copa said:

With V’landys and Abdo having already streamlined and reduced head office and other administrative costs, this will build some serious coin for the sport.

That streamlining included surrendering the Digital Content arm at the behest of the broadcasters - a disaster for the sport.

Compare and contrast with the NFL, a sport that has always been on the cutting edge of rights monetisation (to a fault) 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 hours ago, UTK said:

V'landys and Abdo are absolutely disastrous for the game outside of NSW/QLD, absolutely pathetic.

That's very unfair.

They're also good for the game in the Australian Capital Territory.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived