New TV Contract for NRL

1 minute ago, Damien said:

This is just a self fulfilling prophecy on the part of the NRL. Talk the international game down, say SOO is the pinnacle, make no effort to market or promote the 2017 World Cup, destroy the 2021 World Cup, sabotage things like the Denver Tests, try and replace full blown internationals with 9s etc. Then after all that complain about international RL not working. Well its no wonder. Its almost like they just want it to fail so that it cant possibly usurp SOO.

If we had seen the international game have a proper place and push, things like a proper Pacific Cup with Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and PNG during 3 SOO standalone weekends and Australia playing GB when they toured then yes their could be substance to grievances about 

I’m not defending the NRL. The 2017 WC was a travesty and so was the 9s.

One of the reasons why my interest in SOO has severely declined is because of all the jockeying and shifting rules on what qualifies a player as a New South Welshman or Queenslander. I don’t want to see international players of nations other than Australia playing SOO. It is not without irony that the step the NRL are taking to maximise player availability for SOO is the one thing that makes me less and less interested in it and I know my opinions are shared by many others in my age bracket.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I’m not defending the NRL. The 2017 WC was a travesty and so was the 9s.

One of the reasons why my interest in SOO has severely declined is because of all the jockeying and shifting rules on what qualifies a player as a New South Welshman or Queenslander. I don’t want to see international players of nations other than Australia playing SOO. It is not without irony that the step the NRL are taking to maximise player availability for SOO is the one thing that makes me less and less interested in it and I know my opinions are shared by many others in my age bracket.

The qualification rule changes are part of the process of claiming that New South Wales and Queensland are the best two teams on the planet. You can't confidently claim that if Tonga beat Australia (or anyone else beats them, for that matter) so you have to remove the international matches from sight and finagle the in-form players (from all over) into the Eastern States team to prolong the myth. Ultimately, its unhealthy for the World Game. Short term gain. 

9 hours ago, Copa said:

It says he wants an international window over October and November.

Yep and that's all well and good, if we see a big expansion of the Oceanic Cup post-season (not holding my breath) that will go some of the way to alleviating the problem. 

As Rocket mentioned, the issue with post-season Internationals in the current state of the game is that a large portion of the RL public is done and dusted with the sport for the year. I've got no problem with the major international tournaments like the Oceanic Cup being played in that window, but I feel the mid-season tests are essential in continuing to establish the brand of the Islands/NZ International side in the minds of the general RL viewing public. Playing these matches on standalone rep weeks is the ideal way to engage that public at the height of the season and therefore build or maintain interest in the post-season competitions.

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

@The Rocket you are spot on about interest in Aus falling off the cliff post GF, but I do think the broadcasters are a little bit guilty here and don’t give the international game the exposure it deserves.

I don’t think it reflects well on the sport to outsiders and potential new viewers where the Kangaroos play in front of 18k people at the Stoop (although that was one hell of a game) or England play France in front of 10k at LSV.

Until demand is there for 40k+ international fixtures (for the top nations at least), then the organisers need to do a better job at increasing that demand. Exclusivity is one lever that organisers could pull to ensure sellouts in big stadiums.

This is also a major part of the problem we have in Australia in the lack of promotion of International matches and is indeed further complicated by the broadcast relationship with 9.

For those in the UK that may not know, Channel 7 have held the broadcast rights to the last 2 WCs and recorded some exceptional numbers with the 2017 final reaching 2.7 million viewers. This number occurred despite being in direct competition with a day/night Ashes test and not being on the channel viewed as the "home of RL" in Channel 9. 

Contrast this effort with the historic 2019 Oceanic Cup match between Australia and Tonga where Channel 9 put the game on their 'second channel' 9Gem (A significantly less watched channel that primarily runs lifestyle type shows/movies I believe) and consequentially got 258,000 FTA viewers.

V'landys is best mates with 9 but they in particular have continually shown contempt for International RL, there's no reasonable argument that International RL isn't a viable commercial product here when 7 were able to demonstrate it is, even without cross-promotion to the biggest RL viewer base by 9 throughout the season. International RL is already valuable down here but 9 refuse to make a genuine investment into it and we're now unfortunately locked into this cycle for another 4 years.

8 hours ago, Damien said:

It's really odd how two Aussies on here are doing their best to talk down the international game when in recent years we have seen some great crowds, TV ratings and matches that don't back up the level of disinterest they claim. In 4 years we have gone from the rise of the PI nations in the last World Cup, some great crowds and scenes with Tonga, Australia losing 2 of the last 4 games to this ######. RU couldn't sabotage the international game and hold it back better than V'landys and Abbo have done.

A Super duper World Cup doesn't just magically happen if you just ignore the international game in the 3 years prior. The reverse is more likely. Players want to play for their country in meaningful matches. Players and fans certainly don't want to wait 4 years. If Australia want to go down this road then fine, I couldn't care less. The trouble is as we have seen with the World Cup, Denver Test etc if they don't want to play then they don't want anyone else to either.

One point that I have always though would solve a lot of our international calendar problems which has been raised on this forum before - have the World Cup every 2 years.

Even Football that has the Euro’s and other successful international tournaments between world cups is looking into staging the World Cup every 2 years.

As you insinuate, that 3 years between world cups is a shambles.

On 21/12/2021 at 22:15, fighting irish said:

I'm not suggesting that it will happen overnight.

One thing I'm fairly certain about is the Aussies are not going to help us. (The NH). 

All I'm saying is that we need to get started, (it will take as long as it takes) if we delay 5 years, it will take 5 years longer.

Also, it is happening even without our input, I'm just sure that an international programme featuring the NH international teams is inherently attractive, to people like us, so holds enormous development potential. Organising it and promoting it will accelerate it's growth. 

I would love the game to be played at a high level in as many countries as possible.

In saying that I have been following the game for nearly 50 years and don't think I will see it in my life time.

Look at the Wolfpack experience........

Before that the Welsh Crusaders....

The Australian NRL will invest in what gives them a return in their investment, they are not a charity or benevolent society.

The NRL are a business and they represent their member Clubs I am not sure why many on this site think they are anything else than that.

International games are not part of their business unless they see a benefit from it such as Pacific Island nations showcasing potential players for the NRL.

14 minutes ago, Jonty58 said:

I would love the game to be played at a high level in as many countries as possible.

In saying that I have been following the game for nearly 50 years and don't think I will see it in my life time.

The Australian NRL will invest in what gives them a return in their investment, they are not a charity or benevolent society.

The NRL are a business and they represent their member Clubs I am not sure why many on this site think they are anything else than that.

International games are not part of their business unless they see a benefit from it such as Pacific Island nations showcasing potential players for the NRL.

See this is the trouble. It should be a proper governing body like the ARL in years gone by calling the shots when it comes to the international game, not the NRL. Yes the NRL can dictate when it comes to the NRL but they often go far beyond their remit and this has negative consequences for the game as a whole. The RFL is still the governing body and runs the game in England, not Super League. As powerful as the Premier League is in Football the FA is still the governing body and calls the shots. The setup in Australia is what directly leads to the issues that we see.

2 hours ago, Jonty58 said:

We are not on opposing sides of an argument here Jonty. I think we are in broad agreement.

(I know you haven't asked but) My beliefs about the future of the game are quite optimistic.

I believe that the game suffered in it's first 100 years from a combination of RaRa prejudice (no need to elaborate) and the Northern Union's inward looking and (short term, profiteering attitude) towards themselves. They didn't need to be concerned about RaRa's ostracism because they were making money.

They foolishly believed that the RaRa shamateurs were true to their sophistry and would espouse amateurism for ever, so they could take players from them, whenever they needed to. Hence, why bother to invest in player/Sports development?

Their own (utterly inept or non existent) efforts to spread the game combined with the envious hatred the RaRa brought to bear in every walk of life, kept the game corralled invisible, in the North of England.

It's different now.

Now, I believe, thanks to the internet and the dazzling highly skilled drama, on display in the NRL (and SL), week in week out, the cat's out of the bag. The world is (capable of) looking on. A sleeping giant is awakening and the game is spreading spontaneously all over the globe.

I feel (sense) your frustration at the failures of the past, but I do believe that the existing structures (RFL & SL) are in many ways major contributors to those failures and the game might have better prospects in virgin territory.

My comment that it's happening anyway is true. I also believe (stay with me, on this one) that the rate of growth (from now on) might not be like the linear, stuttering, hesitant, faltering heartbreak of the past, but might accelerate (if given an unhindered course) under the stewardship of newcomers, the world over.

I don't even think, we need to do much to help it on it's way, but it would make sense, to stop undermining it for our own (NRL), narrow short term, local self interest.

It's clear to me, that the NRL circus is blazing a trail of their own with scant regard, (if any) for the rest the world. Moreover, it's reasonable to speculate that they seek to undermine the IRL not because they think they can do it better, but because they don't want it done at all.

Don't you think that multi-coloured, multi-racial, global International competition will inevitably vie with the NRL and S.O.O. as the greatest game on earth. How can our poor antipodean cousins win long term, in that scenario?

No chance, better to strangle it at birth.

So I say, let us get on and do it, encourage the NH nations to get up and grow, and to play international matches and tournaments. Welcome them into the family and share our coaching and refereeing knowledge. Keep raising the profile of these fledgling nations and celebrate their birth and continued existence, because it's quite clear (to me) Bruce and Sheila, aren't going to do it for us.

If we do, you and I might not have to wait another 50 years before there's a whole lot to shout about.  

On 21/12/2021 at 07:38, fighting irish said:

The NRL have such a strangle hold (now) on the Southern Hemisphere players (and nations) that your wish is highly unlikely to happen. Moreover, what you're asking for is just more of the same old, same old. What we should be focusing on, is the development of an interesting, captivating NH competition, which will be a driver for development up here, rather than accepting what we are given, by the Australians. It's plain to see where their bread is buttered and naive to think that with the eye-watering television deal they've just secured they will shed a tear, for NH Rugby League. We're on our own taffy, so let's stop wasting time, roll our sleeves up and get on with it.

I wouldn't call it "eye-watering". Anyway, we're not going to turn non sports watching people to watching RL, the only way we can do it is to get NFL, RU, ice hockey and soccer watchers to switch to being mainly RL watchers, that's unlikely to happen except in parts of England IMO. So just concentrate on Yorkshire, Lancashire, Gr Manchester, Murzeeside and London. Let's up the attendances at SL matches first. 

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

2 hours ago, LlanWests said:

I wouldn't call it "eye-watering". Anyway, we're not going to turn non sports watching people to watching RL, the only way we can do it is to get NFL, RU, ice hockey and soccer watchers to switch to being mainly RL watchers, that's unlikely to happen except in parts of England IMO. So just concentrate on Yorkshire, Lancashire, Gr Manchester, Murzeeside and London. Let's up the attendances at SL matches first. 

Keep reading.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2021 at 21:51, LlanWests said:

Just need to get many more people watching SL matches at the stadium. The only way I can see us doing that is by converting soccer watchers. 

Soccer?? Watchers - are you American or something?

People from the UK would say football fans marra.

On 20/12/2021 at 13:15, LlanWests said:

It's ok i suppose. I would prefer Origin and the NRL to be on different channels. Would like Channel 10 to cover the NRL, have Origin, NRLW and internationals on 9. 

They are on Sky kid- good filler between SL and Championship games.

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Soccer?? Watchers - are you American or something?

People from the UK would say football fans marra.

Not around here. England needs changing, it needs to become more like Wales. 

8 hours ago, LlanWests said:

Not around here. England needs changing, it needs to become more like Wales. 

You forgot to put the words - New and South in front of Wales kid - your obviously an Aussie who knows nothing about British RL......

4 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

You forgot to put the words - New and South in front of Wales kid - your obviously an Aussie who knows nothing about British RL......

Does it matter where I'm from? I know a fair amount about British RL. I live on the global village. 

On 21/12/2021 at 07:57, Damien said:

Under V'Landys and Abbo we've gone from the real talk that existed previously regarding SOO standalone Origins and having more mid season international breaks to the complete opposite.

This is just setting in stone just 3 or so internationals every year and 11 months with no international RL for Southern hemisphere nations. Unless of course its the year after a World Cup when those precious Aussies need a little rest and a year off. Depressing stuff when the game can achieve so much more.

This is the killer quote from the 7 article

"The movement of international games means players will no longer need to pick between playing for their Pacific nation or state."

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

This is the killer quote from the 7 article

"The movement of international games means players will no longer need to pick between playing for their Pacific nation or state."

Not such a bad thing for me.

13 hours ago, The Rocket said:

But it will also mean we have the pick of anyone we deem fit and for optics we will be calling them NSW who qualify for Australia as opposed to All Stars who play for other nations when the NRL is done.

13 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Fewer international opportunities is a bad thing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The sooner everyone gets it into their scone that SOO is going to come first - it`s worth about $30m/annum to the NRL - the sooner we can stop going around in circles on this.

SOO will be beamed live on FTA into NZ this year ( and it will be huge ) and I doubt if the Kiwi or Pacific Islander population will give a hoot if there is a few players from the Pacific Island  national teams in either the NSW or Qld teams. I dare say it will only add interest in seeing how they go and be free promotion for when they turn out for their national team at the end of the year.

It`s only a matter of time before Kiwi cities start bidding to hold SOO as well, that`s only going to make it more lucrative and help the growth of League in NZ and the Pacific as well. 

This is only going to hasten the takeover by League in Australasia and the Pacific.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

The sooner everyone gets it into their scone that SOO is going to come first - it`s worth about $30m/annum to the NRL - the sooner we can stop going around in circles on this.

SOO will be beamed live on FTA into NZ this year ( and it will be huge ) and I doubt if the Kiwi or Pacific Islander population will give a hoot if there is a few players from the Pacific Island  national teams in either the NSW or Qld teams. I dare say it will only add interest in seeing how they go and be free promotion for when they turn out for their national team at the end of the year.

It`s only a matter of time before Kiwi cities start bidding to hold SOO as well, that`s only going to make it more lucrative and help the growth of League in NZ and the Pacific as well. 

This is only going to hasten the takeover by League in Australasia and the Pacific.

And the sooner we all realise that having Australia as our biggest market is a key reason why rugby league's international footprint on a global scale is so insignificant.

Having our biggest games as being a battle between two parts of a small market (globally) obviously isn't fixable quickly, or possibly at all, but until it is then league will remain small time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived