New TV Contract for NRL

32 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

On the contrary I want the sport to grow out of its box, but I'm not naive enough to think that it can do that on the back of tiny island countries.  Re PNG, I see that in the UN's ranking by population it sits between Austria and Serbia, two other countries one hardly ever sees near the top of any major sport.

Australia sits between Cameroon and Taiwan, NZ sits between Ireland and Central African Republic. What's your point.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The NRL aren`t the only ones guilty of mealy-mouthed opportunism. The RFL are set to make a decision on the return of scrums at the end of January. They`ve yet to give a plausible account of why a scrum is more likely to spread Covid than a 3-man tackle.

If last year the RFL had directly asked the NRL why the Aussies and Kiwis had declined to participate in the RLWC, a candid reply could have been - due to the same spurious "player welfare concerns" you played a whole season without scrums.

The way things are going, this could all still be relevant in late 2022. And if the tournament doesn`t happen this year, all bets are off for international RL.

Are you seriously comparing pulling out of an entire competition that had huge financial implications and bringing back scrums, good lord that's ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

Are you seriously comparing pulling out of an entire competition that had huge financial implications and bringing back scrums, good lord that's ridiculous.

I`m making a connection between two examples of narrow-minded thinking. Will it benefit the WC if the RFL give the impression through 2022 that Covid is so dangerous in the UK that we can`t play with scrums? 

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`m making a connection between two examples of narrow-minded thinking. Will it benefit the WC if the RFL give the impression through 2022 that Covid is so dangerous in the UK that we can`t play with scrums? 

Just stop it.

Archived