Boxing Day matches

DoubleD

I’ve always wondered why more clubs don’t play Boxing Day matches? The Leeds vs Wakey game is always well supported and must be a great revenue earner. £25 a ticket, upto 15k fans usually, lots of ancillary revenue on food/drink and in the club shop which was packed with people looking at the new season’s gear

One of my mates said Wigan and Saints used to play on Boxing Day. Why was this stopped?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

I’ve always wondered why more clubs don’t play Boxing Day matches? The Leeds vs Wakey game is always well supported and must be a great revenue earner. £25 a ticket, upto 15k fans usually, lots of ancillary revenue on food/drink and in the club shop which was packed with people looking at the new season’s gear

One of my mates said Wigan and Saints used to play on Boxing Day. Why was this stopped?

My guess would be it’s too early in pre season to be playing for those clubs. Saints have Alex Walmsley testimonial late in January and I think that’s their only friendly. 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

It messes up pre season training schedules and the risk of injury is always there.

For most clubs the potential profit simply wouldn't outweigh those other factors.

It really doesn’t when the season starts in February, and clubs can always use academy players like Wakefield effectively did

7 hours ago, bobbruce said:

My guess would be it’s too early in pre season to be playing for those clubs. Saints have Alex Walmsley testimonial late in January and I think that’s their only friendly. 

With the season starting early in February, that’s seems woefully underprepared with just a single pre season game

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

With the season starting early in February, that’s seems woefully underprepared with just a single pre season game

We've only had a single friendly each of the last three seasons (LMS, Lomax and Makinson testimonials) and they haven't turned out too badly 😉

Won our first eight games after losing our one friendly last season and we've probably had the fittest and least injured squad over the last few years too. Hard to argue that Saints are getting this one wrong tbh even if it means missing out on a few bob.

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Seems to have worked so far.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The season moved to summer.

12 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Aye, they used to play on Christmas Day too. Why do you think this stopped?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, John Rhino said:

And there's me thinking they existed to entertain the fans 😊

The fans turn up because they are entertained. The club puts it on because the fans turn up and they make a chunk of money. It's a virtuous circle but no doubt the head coach would rather not play it. 

21 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

£25 for a friendly? Ridiculous imo.

It's deemed to be a premium game that almost always attracts a 10k crowd. Why would they devalue it? Such a silly mindset.

6 hours ago, Moove said:

We've only had a single friendly each of the last three seasons (LMS, Lomax and Makinson testimonials) and they haven't turned out too badly 😉

Won our first eight games after losing our one friendly last season and we've probably had the fittest and least injured squad over the last few years too. Hard to argue that Saints are getting this one wrong tbh even if it means missing out on a few bob.

In fairness I have always questioned why Wigan seem to have 2 friendlies (one of which they seem not to play the bulk of the more experienced players),while respecting the fact the staff know more than I do. Must be more common than I thought though.

That said, a Wigan-Saints Boxing day game in modern times would be brilliant in my opinion speaking as a (relatively) younger person. Closest I've been was a called off 28/12 friendly a few years ago due to ice/snow.

19 minutes ago, M j M said:

The fans turn up because they are entertained. The club puts it on because the fans turn up and they make a chunk of money. It's a virtuous circle but no doubt the head coach would rather not play it. 

It's deemed to be a premium game that almost always attracts a 10k crowd. Why would they devalue it? Such a silly mindset.

That's your opinion mine differs.

20 minutes ago, M j M said:

Well Wakefield's team wasn't their premium team.

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Didn’t realise February 10th was the summer 

29th January in the Championship.

We shouldn't be starting before March.  Said it many times.

19 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Isn't it because of the world cup ?

😕

What is ?  The two week difference between the Championship starting and Superleague starting ?

Archived