TRL Helpdesk: Cars

49 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Regarding choice of vehicle. Skoda Superb Estate comes highly recommended.

This is pretty much the way I was going to go before I was offered a very good deal on an EV. The current Superb even looks nice too, which I think you couldn’t really say about Skodas of the past. I think there’s a 1.6 petrol hybrid available these days.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

The microchip shortage is sending the motor industry into crisis. The shortage of new cars is sending the used-car prices sky-high.

I could get more for my four-year-old 2018 Spacetourer than the  £16500 I paid when I bought it second-hand two years ago.

https://www.motorpoint.co.uk/vehicle-search/citroen/space tourer/options/-peoplecarrier_bs=on

Buy an old banger till the prices come down. Indulge yourself in an aged prestige motor or van with a diesel engine ... far more reliable than petrol.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

The microchip shortage is sending the motor industry into crisis. The shortage of new cars is sending the used-car prices sky-high.

I could get more for my four-year-old 2018 Spacetourer than the  £16500 I paid when I bought it second-hand two years ago.

https://www.motorpoint.co.uk/vehicle-search/citroen/space tourer/options/-peoplecarrier_bs=on

Buy an old banger till the prices come down. Indulge yourself in an aged prestige motor or van with a diesel engine ... far more reliable than petrol.

It really is crazy. If I could I would sell mine then buy another when prices came down but unfortunately despite working from home still need it for other things, kids taxi mainly.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

It really is crazy. If I could I would sell mine then buy another when prices came down but unfortunately despite working from home still need it for other things, kids taxi mainly.

I am likely to be changing jobs and giving up the company car.

Oddly enough, Gubrats face, an Audi. I changed my key ring recently, from the slight impractical Audi one to a more practical cheaper key ring. It really showed I am not an Audi man and will be going for Skoda or Dacia.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

8 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Again , chatting to a neighbor this morning , a semi retired gas engineer , he has a 6 month too old transit , so will be liable for the tenner , but doubt it'll bother him with what he charges , a mate of his ( same proffession ) has a new electric transit on order but it's now 4 months overdue , they rang him in December to bring in his current van for reassessment of its trade in value , it's gone up by 2 grand 

On 10/01/2022 at 23:20, Desert Skipper said:

This is pretty much the way I was going to go before I was offered a very good deal on an EV. The current Superb even looks nice too, which I think you couldn’t really say about Skodas of the past. I think there’s a 1.6 petrol hybrid available these days.

I bought a brand new Skoda Fabia estate last February. The deal was too good not to even compared to a second hand one. Best car I’ve ever had.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

I bought a brand new Skoda Fabia estate last February. The deal was too good not to even compared to a second hand one. Best car I’ve ever had.

I expect a contract to come through in the next week or two, then hand in two months notice.

With that, I hand in teh company car and will need to have one ready for mid March. New ones are better value right now, because they are not an option for people like me 😞

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Okay, so something practical, green and family-friendly: https://www.aronline.co.uk/concepts/wolfrace-sonic/concepts-and-prototypes-wolfrace-sonic/ 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 29/12/2021 at 14:33, graveyard johnny said:

theres still plenty of diesel cars out there with £30 £20 and even zero£ road tax per year and do plenty of miles to the gallon 

Yep. Our eight year old (Euro 5) Avensis diesel estate gets 40+ on a run, and is £30 per year to tax. I thought about changing it last year, but it just wasn't worth it.

If I need to go into a LEZ-type zone I'll just use the Euro 6 Adblue motorhome 😉

• Like 1

eh?

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

My car is meant to be delivered no later than the 27th Feb. Still not a peep.

Following great thought, I will just be going to the car dealership up the road from me and buying one. Basically, because of this.

• 1 year later...
On 10/01/2022 at 20:18, Dunbar said:

I will buy myself an Aston Martin DB11.  Why?  Because when I was a kid growing up in Wigan the idea of owning an Aston Martin was a fantasy that was never ever going to come true and I simply want one to amaze my 12 year old self.

So, after a year of should I, shouldn't I, I have gone ahead and make the plunge.  I pick it up next Wednesday.

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Rich git 😉

I agree; rare Dinky toys are quite pricey these days.

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson