London Broncos Squad 2022

15 hours ago, 40yearsatlondon said:

he was on facebook .giving it to someone the other day

Of course he was! Nothing else to do with his time.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

12 hours ago, Twickbronc said:

Wellington Albert will not be available for selection for the Widnes game due to injury. He is should be fit by mid Feb.

How do you know these things? Insider knowledge? Two of young halves spoken about played championship last year and could be a fantastic pairing if given regular game time together. Some of their counterparts who they played against in academy and scholarship (and alongside at origin and beyond) have gone on to be playing super league it’s just that London don’t trust their younger players historically so they get held back by choosing to stay loyal to their home club. Let’s hope this is a turning point for decision making at London and we see this partnership develop and back the plans of Hughes.

The London Junior League is getting set for another year of incremental growth so the supply of players will continue. What is less clear is whether and how Rob Powell (head of youth) will be replaced. 

Separate to this, it looks as if ticket sales for the Widnes opener are going well. The club seems to have put some effort into this. Good luck to them.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

The London Junior League is getting set for another year of incremental growth so the supply of players will continue. What is less clear is whether and how Rob Powell (head of youth) will be replaced. 

Separate to this, it looks as if ticket sales for the Widnes opener are going well. The club seems to have put some effort into this. Good luck to them.

Didn’t realise Rob Powell had left as well. That’s a blow. What’s the background to that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

I think he's now at Richmond RU. I don't know what he was offered to stay on at the Broncos so I'm not sure what's behind the move. But he needs replacing.

He was at Richmond before but I agree there is no one replacing him and no mention of what they are doing to recruit players into the first rung of the ladder at scholarship as no player below u17. Losing Rob is a massive loss

• Like 1

1 minute ago, watcherofRL said:

Another closed door game today and this time skolars - any news on what happened and why it wasn’t a published as a match to watch? 

Wimbledon and Park View (who play at the New River) are at home today, as are Rosslyn Park RU (Broncos train there, I think) so the usual venues probably weren’t available. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jughead said:

Wimbledon and Park View (who play at the New River) are at home today, as are Rosslyn Park RU (Broncos train there, I think) so the usual venues probably weren’t available. 

Anyone hear anything about the game? Be good to know how broncos are looking before facing Widnes? Not hearing anything  other than claiming to be focused on playing London grown

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, watcherofRL said:

Anyone hear anything about the game? Be good to know how broncos are looking before facing Widnes? Not hearing anything  other than claiming to be focused on playing London grown

Broncos were poor. Had a few more experienced players missing, but should have demolished what’s left of Skolars. There was about a 30 min game then a 30 min tactical play section - Broncos won both sections about 4 tries to 2.

More worrying for the game in London was seeing sone other ex Skolars players on the Broncos sideline seemingly going to be used for the Broncos reserve team - it wasn’t young up and coming players, but older more experienced players coming to the end of their playing career - certainly not what reserves was intended for & it seems the complete basket case that is ‘London Broncos’ are now intent on imploding Skolars as well and taking their better players, their older players and their physio etc!

• Sad 1

Just now, Templegreen said:

Broncos were poor. Had a few more experienced players missing, but should have demolished what’s left of Skolars. There was about a 30 min game then a 30 min tactical play section - Broncos won both sections about 4 tries to 2.

More worrying for the game in London was seeing sone other ex Skolars players on the Broncos sideline seemingly going to be used for the Broncos reserve team - it wasn’t young up and coming players, but older more experienced players coming to the end of their playing career - certainly not what reserves was intended for & it seems the complete basket case that is ‘London Broncos’ are now intent on imploding Skolars as well and taking their better players, their older players and their physio etc!

God that’s a worry - did you see the game?broncos fans pinning hopes on the coach selecting  up the right team to compete but heard accounts from the previous training game that not many players were actually in the staring shirts- named 6 and 7 were both playing out of position which doesn’t bode well at all! Not sure but have the other half backs recruited played above league one? As for the older skolars signing for reserves, this is surely a joke? Can’t be anyone else not already taken across surely? Thought there might be open trials for reserves?

8 minutes ago, watcherofRL said:

God that’s a worry - did you see the game?broncos fans pinning hopes on the coach selecting  up the right team to compete but heard accounts from the previous training game that not many players were actually in the staring shirts- named 6 and 7 were both playing out of position which doesn’t bode well at all! Not sure but have the other half backs recruited played above league one? As for the older skolars signing for reserves, this is surely a joke? Can’t be anyone else not already taken across surely? Thought there might be open trials for reserves?

Broncos more experienced signings were not there - no idea why maybe they could be injured/covid rather than non selection. Broncos coach was not happy with performance. Body language gave the impression some Broncos players were not liking the part time set up. 

I don’t begrudge Broncos signing the top few Skolars players & it gives the players an opportunity to play at a higher level. Taking so many that are clearly not championship level and will just be used as fringe/reserves is in very poor taste and very damaging to Skolars survival.

8 minutes ago, Templegreen said:

I don’t begrudge Broncos signing the top few Skolars players & it gives the players an opportunity to play at a higher level. Taking so many that are clearly not championship level and will just be used as fringe/reserves is in very poor taste and very damaging to Skolars survival.

Yes - it weakens both clubs.

If there were such a thing as a 'London Strategy', this wouldn't be it. Not sure how this gets resolved.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As I mentioned before have been told by one parent the scholarship has been discontinued, which means I think the academy will follow , but that's a guess. How will that help the younger players?. Also there is a whisper that Hemel Stags will get there U-18's will travel up North to play invitation games. They used to have a mixed  team with Skolars in the Gillette Youth league back in the day.Paid by the club to give them some exposure in playing a tougher game. All paid by Hemel.

38 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Yes - it weakens both clubs.

If there were such a thing as a 'London Strategy', this wouldn't be it. Not sure how this gets resolved.

I'd say the London strategy needs a complete reset. The junior clubs have been successful and continue to grow. Wests Warriors and London Chargers are solid amatuer outfits. I think a professional club could be successful in London but not sure it will come in the form of the Broncos.

21 minutes ago, newbe said:

As I mentioned before have been told by one parent the scholarship has been discontinued, which means I think the academy will follow , but that's a guess. How will that help the younger players?. Also there is a whisper that Hemel Stags will get there U-18's will travel up North to play invitation games. They used to have a mixed  team with Skolars in the Gillette Youth league back in the day.Paid by the club to give them some exposure in playing a tougher game. All paid by Hemel.

51 minutes ago, Templegreen said:

Broncos more experienced signings were not there - no idea why maybe they could be injured/covid rather than non selection. Broncos coach was not happy with performance. Body language gave the impression some Broncos players were not liking the part time set up. 

Maybe broncos players are dissatisfied with the coach and how he is doing things if the players are not playing in chosen positions and if JC is showing his unhappiness it could be a mutual displeasure with each other! Let’s hope the top brass get involved sooner rather than waiting for the coach to bring the team to the same place he brought Skolars to last year! Car crash waiting to happen