London Broncos Squad 2022

1 hour ago, newbe said:

Chargers n Warriors always have good proportion of players from Os n Nz, so sometimes it gives a false impression of English players. But good press for the Southern based League. 

From the Warriors/Hammersmith games i have watched over the last few years good proportion = vast majority.

Edited by dead man inc

On 09/01/2022 at 17:38, watcherofRL said:

It’s good to hear optimism but I think the sooner the Coleman brothers are kicked to the kerb the better. Skolars didn’t go well under him and now he has brought in 6/7 skolars players, his brother and there seems limited ambition and knowledge.  To be honest I am not sure what appeal there is other than being cheap! The squad looks like it could be promising with a mix of old and young but if the selection and style of play is not right it will create disharmony rather than bringing them together. Thought it was an exciting plan to build a home grown side but needs expertise to nurture these players and can’t help wishing Ward or Langley were still around!

dont think you can say JC & Jymel are inexperienced. what they do have is experience. I suspect given a vastly reduced budget JC is the ideal man for the job, however this isnt the Broncos we have been used to seeing. this is more like a top L1 bottom championship set up and budget now.

the academy and scholarship probably needs to be taken from them now and run centrally. it is the jewel in the crown and cant be risked. it would take an age to get back and a fortune.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, newbe said:

Chargers n Warriors always have good proportion of players from Os n Nz, so sometimes it gives a false impression of English players. But good press for the Southern based League. 

2 Aussies & 1 Kiwi in our 20 man Chargers squad for yesterday’s game

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, IM2 said:

dont think you can say JC & Jymel are inexperienced. what they do have is experience. I suspect given a vastly reduced budget JC is the ideal man for the job, however this isnt the Broncos we have been used to seeing. this is more like a top L1 bottom championship set up and budget now.

the academy and scholarship probably needs to be taken from them now and run centrally. it is the jewel in the crown and cant be risked. it would take an age to get back and a fortune.

A fair & accurate statement of where the Broncos really are currently - how do you think your summarisation of where Broncos are now ties in with their move to Wimbledon? and do you think the Skolars will be able to continue in league one with funding cuts and loss of so many players/staff?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will Holt said:

2 Aussies & 1 Kiwi in our 20 man Chargers squad for yesterday’s game

doesnt matter if there were 20. given you have London in your name then having folk from all over the world simply reflects London. we used to argue to the RFL for a higher overseas quote cos of that. if they live their life here even for a few years they are still valid imo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Templegreen said:

A fair & accurate statement of where the Broncos really are currently - how do you think your summarisation of where Broncos are now ties in with their move to Wimbledon? and do you think the Skolars will be able to continue in league one with funding cuts and loss of so many players/staff?

its going too be tough for both. just the stark reality of the situation foe both clubs. given the funding shrink I think we all have to be patient with both. if they can keep their head above water for a year or two I think they can push on. as I say I think we all need to be patient and get behind them both 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, newbe said:

As I mentioned before have been told by one parent the scholarship has been discontinued, which means I think the academy will follow , but that's a guess. How will that help the younger players?. Also there is a whisper that Hemel Stags will get there U-18's will travel up North to play invitation games. They used to have a mixed  team with Skolars in the Gillette Youth league back in the day.Paid by the club to give them some exposure in playing a tougher game. All paid by Hemel.

I think it's less a case of the scholarship being discontinued as not yet restarted for 2022 - i.e. an absence of activity in the absence of a head of youth. But you're right, it's worrying for players and parents. The academy is moving ahead btw.

If Hemel u18s travel to play invitation games elsewhere, this would be in addition to their LJL commitments. That sounds like something positive - all clubs should try and organise some matches outside their region. 

On 15/01/2022 at 08:33, Archie Gordon said:

Separate to this, it looks as if ticket sales for the Widnes opener are going well. The club seems to have put some effort into this. Good luck to them.

Really?

When I bought my two on Friday there seemed to be a lot of wide open spaces available in the home section.

Maybe the community stand will be a bit busier?

36 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Re. ticket sales for the Widnes game. I think they're up to around 500. Whether this is good/bad is relative to one's expectations. To me, it suggests a 4-figure crowd on the day. I expect some freebies have still to be allocated to schools and Widnes will bring a good number. Plus walk-ups.

Let's hope so - am that a number of curious AFCW fans fancy it on Sunday.

A four figure crowd would surely be the bare minimum expected with the move/ relaunch / whatever you want to call it.

42 minutes ago, RfE said:

Let's hope so - am that a number of curious AFCW fans fancy it on Sunday.

A four figure crowd would surely be the bare minimum expected with the move/ relaunch / whatever you want to call it.

I'm not hopeful crowds will be any better than Ealing....the parking situation sounds horrendous. Say what you like about Ealing it was a doddle to get there if you drive 

The number of games I attend will go from every game to about half 

29 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Sounds like it's time for David Hughes to step aside to someone who can reinvigorate the Broncos. Are there any suitors in the offing though?

What is there to take over? A club that generates little to no income, a League 1 squad of players, minimal staff (who seem to excel only at upsetting people), a short-term rental on a football stadium, short-term rentals on two rugby union training grounds, an alienated and hugely diminished fanbase, a commercial department that is almost non-existent, a general public that doesn't know you exist, and an academy that has its best players taken every year by northern clubs. 

Who in their right mind would want to take over whatever it is that David Hughes leaves behind?

• Like 7

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm not hopeful crowds will be any better than Ealing....the parking situation sounds horrendous. Say what you like about Ealing it was a doddle to get there if you drive 

The number of games I attend will go from every game to about half 

Just checked the kids ticket prices....

I am still shocked/ annoyed about last season when I'd planned to bring my 7 year old and her two mates to Ealing game and found out it would be £45 in total for three of them

For under 16s.....

Fev - free

York - free

Thunder - £5

Broncos     so to bring a kid to a game it is £12!!....

Extradinary..... am now even more committed to being more of SL general fan...doubt I'll make 3 games at plough Lane...and I'll definitely be myself not with family as I used to 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Sounds like it's time for David Hughes to step aside to someone who can reinvigorate the Broncos. Are there any suitors in the offing though?

No. Broncos will die if Hughes goes. It's just not an attractive brand and they have limited assets. It's not like a football club who own their own stadium or have success on the field.

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Re. ticket sales for the Widnes game. I think they're up to around 500. Whether this is good/bad is relative to one's expectations. To me, it suggests a 4-figure crowd on the day. I expect some freebies have still to be allocated to schools and Widnes will bring a good number. Plus walk-ups.

I think they’ve sold around 600

add possibly 100 AFC Wimbledon fans

(AFC season ticket holders can get a ticket for £1) and another 100 to pay on the day

I’d expect some schools/local amateur clubs to have been offered group deals

I think Widnes could bring 100+

I’d say we’ll get 1,200

1500 and a win would be the dream these days

Edited by Twickbronc

1 hour ago, NW10LDN said:

No. Broncos will die if Hughes goes. It's just not an attractive brand and they have limited assets. It's not like a football club who own their own stadium or have success on the field.

For the Long term Broncos fans (I am 22 years supporting, but we have people who have followed the club since it was Fulham back in the day), Hughes is a bit of a riddle wrapped inside an quandry as part of an enigma

• Without him we would not have a club, and we are all grateful for how much funding and effort he has put into the club over the years
  • But he is useless in that he appoints the wrong people to advise him, then takes their advice which is usually wrong, then doubles down on the advice, which is slowly killing the club year on year.

We all think he wants the best for the club, but he seems to always take decisions which harm the club, and drive people away (like this move from a suitable location for Part time team, where all teams (First, acadamy, U19 all based at the same location), to a much more expensive location, with what is basically a League 1 team, having to hire three different locations, once again having to play 5 games away in the May - June timeframe etc).

yes he might get between 1.2K to 1.5K for the Widnes game, but if the team is not competitive your going to be back at 500 people by July \ August.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Hughes is not really the problem as he's putting the money in. He is very poorly advised though and his biggest fault is being continuing to trust people who are bringing the club further and further down. In Danny Ward they had a brilliant coach who was doing a fantastic job. He got the sack unfairly due to poor running of the club by management 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nadera78 said:

What is there to take over? A club that generates little to no income, a League 1 squad of players, minimal staff (who seem to excel only at upsetting people), a short-term rental on a football stadium, short-term rentals on two rugby union training grounds, an alienated and hugely diminished fanbase, a commercial department that is almost non-existent, a general public that doesn't know you exist, and an academy that has its best players taken every year by northern clubs. 

Who in their right mind would want to take over whatever it is that David Hughes leaves behind?

2 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Regardless, that does not mean there isn’t someone interested in taking over, particularly in the capital.
Gateshead Thunder and York were both in worse states when they were taken over by Kurdi and Flatman 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IM2 said:

its going too be tough for both. just the stark reality of the situation foe both clubs. given the funding shrink I think we all have to be patient with both. if they can keep their head above water for a year or two I think they can push on. as I say I think we all need to be patient and get behind them both 

Do you think Skolars or anyone else need to “do a Coventry” and roll the dice and try and do something different in these times? Or is that too much of a risk, do you think? 

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just checked the kids ticket prices....

I am still shocked/ annoyed about last season when I'd planned to bring my 7 year old and her two mates to Ealing game and found out it would be £45 in total for three of them

For under 16s.....

Fev - free

York - free

Thunder - £5

Broncos     so to bring a kid to a game it is £12!!....

Extradinary..... am now even more committed to being more of SL general fan...doubt I'll make 3 games at plough Lane...and I'll definitely be myself not with family as I used to 

Heard that Through community clubs there are lots of tickets and special offers for first game and then promotions throughout the year but yeah you are right - free would be best but £5 is tolerable!!

Nothing to stop them doing offers but a kids ticket is a fiver maximum surely....

We have literally no fans left and there will be thousands of empty seats .... what possible advantage is there to charging £12 instead of a fiver?

Any families are pretty much guaranteed to be put off and of course that means dad might go but not his family of 4 as it could have been

I was at Fev yesterday and there were loads and loads of local kids milling around as always....many seemed to be younger teenagers in groups  ....some of them loitering and annoying but I'd bloody well take it if we could get our local kids into the stadium 

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:
57 minutes ago, watcherofRL said:

Heard that Through community clubs there are lots of tickets and special offers for first game and then promotions throughout the year but yeah you are right - free would be best but £5 is tolerable!!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Nothing to stop them doing offers but a kids ticket is a fiver maximum surely....

We have literally no fans left and there will be thousands of empty seats .... what possible advantage is there to charging £12 instead of a fiver?

Any families are pretty much guaranteed to be put off and of course that means dad might go but not his family of 4 as it could have been

I was at Fev yesterday and there were loads and loads of local kids milling around as always....many seemed to be younger teenagers in groups  ....some of them loitering and annoying but I'd bloody well take it if we could get our local kids into the stadium 

Fiver max. I’d let them go free. They need all the support possible so there’s no harm. Most parents would probably end up getting themselves and their child a burger and drink and spend more than £12 anyway 🤯

Edited by Twickbronc
  • Like 2