London Broncos Squad 2022

On 22/01/2022 at 14:24, ShropshireBull said:

I was on about rent, never been able to get a house, massive crime rates. A terrible place all in all.  Remember going to Enfield and getting a pint for 3 quid but that was at the ground . Sam Smiths if I am ever back in London.

Don´t think bargain basement has much to do with it tbh, RL lacks internationals and problem is that RL is charging people premium prices for a sub standard facility, which is exactly how I´d describe London. Anyway, I wish Broncos well. 

Crime rates much higher in some of the big cities in NW and NE. Just a narrative - agree about living costs although these are creeping up elsewhere too (Durham/York etc)

21 hours ago, RfE said:

First home game in 2017 , home to HKR - first and second favourites for the Championship with the bookies, ended up 1st and 2nd that season.

I remember it being bitterly cold, and had there been another 5 mins we might have levelled the score! Was standing in the corner where we got our two late tries.

Happy to be corrected but I think the crowd that day at TSC was in the region of 1,600.

Would be great if we could pull in that sort of number on Sunday.

Think the ball boys that day were some of the ex academy lads now in the squad. That’s what you call home grown. Watched these lads grow together - shame lost the likes of boafa as could have been a special team living the dream. Let’s hope Jermaine has the same faith as not seen or heard much to support this given the behind closed doors games that have been played. Maybe he doesn’t see  their potential or agree with the signing

15 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Broncos squad for Widnes looks lightweight for the Championship. More than half have recently been at the Skolars. Hadn't fully grasped how many 2021 Skolars had followed Coleman across the city. 

The damage that will cause across both sides is pretty huge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

44 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Broncos squad for Widnes looks lightweight for the Championship. More than half have recently been at the Skolars. Hadn't fully grasped how many 2021 Skolars had followed Coleman across the city. 

When I saw the Skolars squad for today, I had wondered why a couple of players hadn't been named. Now I know. It appears that there are more Skolars juniors in that lot than other Broncos juniors, which makes one wonder about the much vaunted academy. It seems destroying one club isn't enough for them.

• Like 2

Warning bells already as we can't even string 21 players together.  Plus numbers 26) Judd Greenhalgh, 29) Lameck Juma and 30) Adam Vrahmos are not listed on the Broncos website.  Anyone know where they came from?  1) Siti Moceidreke, 2) Paul Ulberg, 4) Paulos Latu and 12) Rhys Curran missing too.

27 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

When I saw the Skolars squad for today, I had wondered why a couple of players hadn't been named. Now I know. It appears that there are more Skolars juniors in that lot than other Broncos juniors, which makes one wonder about the much vaunted academy. It seems destroying one club isn't enough for them.

Unless you think he's purposely leaving out bettter players in order to damage the Skolars, he's just picked the best 17 he has available to him. He's not destroying anything, it's just an inevitable outcome of going part time, and nowt we can do about that unless someone has £500k to chuck in. 

We'll find out in the next couple of months when Skolars start in L1 whether there's enough depth in the London&SE player pool to sustain two p/t teams. Perhaps those Btoncos academy players will turn out for Skolars. I genuinely dont know how it will turn out.

25 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

We'll find out in the next couple of months when Skolars start in L1 whether there's enough depth in the London&SE player pool to sustain two p/t teams. Perhaps those Btoncos academy players will turn out for Skolars. I genuinely dont know how it will turn out.

It's three p/t teams. Which makes it all the crazier. Back to wondering why there is no London Strategy.

1 hour ago, londonbronco said:

Warning bells already as we can't even string 21 players together.  Plus numbers 26) Judd Greenhalgh, 29) Lameck Juma and 30) Adam Vrahmos are not listed on the Broncos website.  Anyone know where they came from?  1) Siti Moceidreke, 2) Paul Ulberg, 4) Paulos Latu and 12) Rhys Curran missing too.

26, 29, 30 & 4 all from Skolars last season.

1 hour ago, Jeff Stein said:

It gets worse as they have signed more Skolars players for the Broncos reserve team.

Current London squad is a bit of a joke and I really fear for the team tomorrow. I really fear for that team vs Widnes, first game at the new home and looking like they going to get a bit of a thrashing.  Hopefully however with some folks getting tickets for a pound, the attendance will be pretty good.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, londonbronco said:

All from Skolars!

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

Current London squad is a bit of a joke and I really fear for the team tomorrow. I really fear for that team vs Widnes, first game at the new home and looking like they going to get a bit of a thrashing.  Hopefully however with some folks getting tickets for a pound, the attendance will be pretty good.

Why do you call it a joke? 

Do I think the Broncos will challenge for promotion to SL this year? No. 

But do I think they'll stay up in the Championship? Yes, and probably with a bit to spare. 

Heading to New Plough Lane tomorrow for my first live rugby match since the pandemic began, a bit nervous but excited! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Why do you call it a joke? 

Do I think the Broncos will challenge for promotion to SL this year? No. 

But do I think they'll stay up in the Championship? Yes, and probably with a bit to spare. 

Heading to New Plough Lane tomorrow for my first live rugby match since the pandemic began, a bit nervous but excited! 

This was our squad in the championship 2018, before we got promotion to SL. I would wager (Apart from Bienek / Lovell of course) not one of the current Broncos squad would get into this squad by a country mile.

1 Elliot Kear
2 Rhys Williams
3 Ben Hellewell
4 Matt Fleming
5 Kieran Dixon
6 Api Pewhairangi
7 Jarrod Sammut
8 Tom Spencer
9 James Cunningham
10 Mark Ioane
11 Daniel Harrison
12 Jay Pitts
13 Matt Davis
14 Alex Walker
15 Eddie Battye
16 Matty Gee
17 Michael Channing
18 Ben Evans
19 Sadiq Adebiyi
20 Lewis Bienek
21 Will Lovell
22 Kam Pearce-Paul
23 Rob Butler
24 Jacob Ogden
25 Matthew Davies
26 Daniel Hindmarsh

If I put up any other championship side, they will probably be stronger or similar to the squad in 2018, not a squad significantly weaker.  So when I look the the current  squad vs what we had as little as four years ago, yes its a Joke

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, crashmon said:

This was our squad in the championship 2018, before we got promotion to SL. I would wager (Apart from Bienek / Lovell of course) not one of the current Broncos squad would get into this squad by a country mile.

1 Elliot Kear
2 Rhys Williams
3 Ben Hellewell
4 Matt Fleming
5 Kieran Dixon
6 Api Pewhairangi
7 Jarrod Sammut
8 Tom Spencer
9 James Cunningham
10 Mark Ioane
11 Daniel Harrison
12 Jay Pitts
13 Matt Davis
14 Alex Walker
15 Eddie Battye
16 Matty Gee
17 Michael Channing
18 Ben Evans
19 Sadiq Adebiyi
20 Lewis Bienek
21 Will Lovell
22 Kam Pearce-Paul
23 Rob Butler
24 Jacob Ogden
25 Matthew Davies
26 Daniel Hindmarsh

If I put up any other championship side, they will probably be stronger or similar to the squad in 2018, not a squad significantly weaker.  So when I look the the current  squad vs what we had as little as four years ago, yes its a Joke

I can't agree. You think Workington, Swinton or Oldham will put up a squad equivalent to Broncos 2018 this year? A team that got promoted to SL and has a load of SL experience in it? 

Unless I've missed something there's a number of championship teams well below the Broncos 2018 level. 

Now, I certainly agree the current Broncos squad is vastly inferior to 2018 but you're comparing apples to oranges. I still think it will comfortably survive in the Championship this year, particularly if the players still to arrive actually turn up. 

It's the Skolars I'd really worry about in L1 to be honest. 

Edited by Toby Chopra

17 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I can't agree. You think Workington, Swinton or Oldham will put up a squad equivalent to Broncos 2018 this year? A team that got promoted to SL and has a load of SL experience in it? 

Unless I've missed something there's a number of championship teams well below the Broncos 2018 level. 

Now, I certainly agree the current Broncos squad is vastly inferior to 2018 but you're comparing apples to oranges. I still think it will comfortably survive in the Championship this year, particularly if the players still to arrive actually turn up. 

It's the Skolars I'd really worry about in L1 to be honest. 

Apologies, thats not what I meant

I meant that the 2022 haven team for instance will be similar /  better than the Haven 2018 team.  Apart from us / possibly Sheffield as well, I would say all the 2022 champ teams are at least equal to the teams they had in 2018. 

2018 London 44 - 24 Fev

2021 London 24 - 48 Fev

I shudder to think of the 2022 result (something like 12 - 72 probably). I really hope I'm proved wrong tomorrow, I really hope I have you and Man of Kent telling me how wrong I am after London beat Widnes, but right now I just cannot see it.  My only hope is that they get between 1.5K to 2K attendance so at least we have good news on the attendance front if not on the field

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Apologies, thats not what I meant

I meant that the 2022 haven team for instance will be similar /  better than the Haven 2018 team.  Apart from us / possibly Sheffield as well, I would say all the 2022 champ teams are at least equal to the teams they had in 2018. 

2018 London 44 - 24 Fev

2021 London 24 - 48 Fev

I shudder to think of the 2022 result (something like 12 - 72 probably). I really hope I'm proved wrong tomorrow, I really hope I have you and Man of Kent telling me how wrong I am after London beat Widnes, but right now I just cannot see it.  My only hope is that they get between 1.5K to 2K attendance so at least we have good news on the attendance front if not on the field

Ah, my misunderstanding, no worries. To be clear, I dont expect the Broncos to beat Widnes and I think there's going to be some uncomfortable scorelines this season vs the top teams. But what can we do, David Hughes doesn't owe us a full time team, so we'll have to do the best we can on the budget and players available.

If Broncos do stay up with a team drawn from London and the Southeast, I actually think that would be great positive achievement for the sport. 

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

Broncos reserves. This team made some sense when the first team was full-time but much less sense now.

I'll probably get shot down for this, but wouldn't it make more sense to simply accept the reality and have Broncos in the Championship with Skolars as their development / 'reserve/ feeder team playing in L1?

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'll probably get shot down for this, but wouldn't it make more sense to simply accept the reality and have Broncos in the Championship with Skolars as their development / 'reserve/ feeder team playing in L1?

Trouble is the level of L1 doesn't really make this viable. When LB were in SL it worked better when we got some of their players and (occasionally) we filled some of their gaps but not now. The truth is (probably) there are not enough players down here to sustain two completive teams and the worse case scenario is neither are viable.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

When Broncos were professional and more so when they were in Super League, yes, I’d agree with you completely. Now Broncos are part-time, have decimated Skolars’ squad to pad theirs out and need to find another 12+ to play in their reserve side, it makes it harder for all involved. 

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Ah, my misunderstanding, no worries. To be clear, I dont expect the Broncos to beat Widnes and I think there's going to be some uncomfortable scorelines this season vs the top teams.

As a Widnes fan who has watched a lot of Skolars games over the last few years, this is the first time in a couple of decades I'm expecting us to go to the Broncos and win. That looks like a squad that is going to struggle in the Championship. Home advantage should get you a few wins I guess.

Quick scroll through the ticketing site - there's currently 371 seats sold in the away stand, and I know a lot of Widnes fans bought seats before the away stand ticketing was made available.  Looks to be getting on for 1500 seats sold in the West Stand too. That's pretty encouraging.

• Like 1