League 1

3 minutes ago, newbe said:

The way to get more teams to compete is to reduce some of the regulations, ie visa restrictions  on players etc. It almost impossible for League 1 teams to compete with the same rules as S/L.

There is no restriction on overseas players in the Championship, this is how Leigh have been able to sign so many overseas players, more than they’d be able to have in Super League. Are there restrictions on League One clubs? I’d of thought paying these players would be the biggest challenge, League One clubs run on a shoestring.

My gripe is visa restriction in League 1. For example you could have an aussie on a visa, NOT a sporting visa could earn £35,000 a year sparking (london rates), but not is allowed to earn £150 match fee. If you draw a amateur team in the cup they could be packed out with Aussies or any overseas players no issues. 

21 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Personally I’d like to see this league expanded with new teams in the Midlands and South, but with most of the season split into a League One North and a League One South. The top 2 sides from each league could compete in a combined play off.

A North and South split would be terrible, the gulf in standard would be huge and the aspiring semi pro Southern clubs need to play Heartlands teams regularly to improve. 

Also L1N would only have 8 clubs in it. 

1 hour ago, newbe said:

The way to get more teams to compete is to reduce some of the regulations, ie visa restrictions  on players etc. It almost impossible for League 1 teams to compete with the same rules as S/L.

I don't think that the restrictive visa regulations are under the control of the RFL.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I don't think that the restrictive visa regulations are under the control of the RFL.

They have some influence though - the visa regulations are specific to rugby league and were drawn up with input from th RFL and the players union.

Great to see a team in Cornwall entering L1. The fact that they only have a few players signed up and it's almost January is worrying. They state they want majority of their team to be Cornish but with their owner I can't see this happening, especially if they are looking for instant success. 

1 hour ago, Twickbronc said:

Great to see a team in Cornwall entering L1. The fact that they only have a few players signed up and it's almost January is worrying. They state they want majority of their team to be Cornish but with their owner I can't see this happening, especially if they are looking for instant success. 

They'll only get Cornish players by converting them from union to League. I think there is one community club in Cornwall but that's not enough.

19 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

As no one else seems to start a thread on the 3rd tier, yes, it does exist.

Can we have your thoughts?

It is derided by some on here, however the people who have been watching for the past ten years will tell you it’s a very competitive league with great entertainment. You’ll love it 

1 hour ago, clwydianrange said:

It is derided by some on here, however the people who have been watching for the past ten years will tell you it’s a very competitive league with great entertainment. You’ll love it 

I can't wait. Hopefully we'll be in the mix at the end, and not the mixer.

18 hours ago, JonM said:

They have some influence though - the visa regulations are specific to rugby league and were drawn up with input from th RFL and the players union.

Yes, though there is a requirement for players to be playing at a high level. The RFL can define the specifics but the government would never allow it to stretch to League 1 players. There is also a minimum salary requirement that's non-negotiable (think it's about £35,000). The rule banning people on other work visas from playing professional sport is a government rule not an RFL one.

1 hour ago, CornwallRL said:

I can't wait. Hopefully we'll be in the mix at the end, and not the mixer.

Its a matter of expectations…most of these blokes have full time jobs and then train in the evenings. They cannot be expected to have the same skills and fitness of the players we see on sky every week. 

If you can accept that and are prepared to watch competitive rugby (both teams making lots of mistakes, particularly late in the game when fitness starts to tell, where honest blokes give it all theyve got, then you will enjoy it.  

You will also have the honour of hosting God’s team….Rochdale Hornets. Now thats something that fans of Saints, Wigan and Leeds are deprived of on an annual basis.

9 minutes ago, bowes said:

Yes, though there is a requirement for players to be playing at a high level. The RFL can define the specifics but the government would never allow it to stretch to League 1 players. There is also a minimum salary requirement that's non-negotiable (think it's about £35,000). The rule banning people on other work visas from playing professional sport is a government rule not an RFL one.

Yes indeed it is a strict government policy not to push British sportsmen aside for overseas players just for individual clubs to try to better their results on the field. It applies to all sports and a full run down of the rules is on You Gov. 

The purpose of a Championship one has always had an element of "expansion" to it and Cornwall is such expansion and looking to develop Cornish sportspersons into RL players is the admirable aim.

Top class overseas stars are another subject altogether.................

From a Swinton point of view it should be an interesting season. Hunslet, Doncaster and Keighley seemed to have strengthed and Oldham and Rochdale are always good derbies for us. North Wales had a cracking run towards the end of the season and seem to have kept the majority of the players. be interesting to see how the other teams have developed as well over the last few years. 

Gutted I cant go to Cornwall, my fiancees Hen Do and for some reason she wont take our 4 year old on it, so I can make the trip down! 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

On 30/12/2021 at 14:12, Eddie said:

A North and South split would be terrible, the gulf in standard would be huge and the aspiring semi pro Southern clubs need to play Heartlands teams regularly to improve. 

Also L1N would only have 8 clubs in it. 

People always suggest a League 1 South but when asked who they would have in it, either can't name them or name a lot of long since defunct clubs like Bristol Sonics and Leicester Storm.

swinton squad for the season, think we have a couple of amateurs on trial 

Full backs - Abram, Ben Hayes

Wingers - Reece Hamlett, Mike Butt, Richard Lepori

Centres Rhodri Lloyd, Mitch Cox. Liam Forsyth 

Half Backs Lewis Else, jack Hanson, Lewis Charnock 

Props - Lewis Hatton, Jack Spencer, Louis Brogan, Paddy Jones, Jose Kenga, Jordan Case, Jordan Brown 

Hookers - Matty Wilkinson, Luke Waterworth 

Back Rowers - Max Roberts, Will Hope, Deane Meadows , Nick Gregson, Billy Brickill

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Alphabetically:

Cornwall: If we get some decent players from local Union sides who fancy trying League, we may surprise some teams who bother to make the journey, and not use Covid as an excuse. We are an untried team, we may well be rubbish in our first games, but we will build.

Doncaster: Still regarded as an expansionist club by some M62'ers, but they have a good stadium, better than some higher divisional teams (Rhubarb triangle take note), although they don't own it they have stability, and could be a force.

Hunslet: I wouldn't call these a sleeping giant anymore, more a sleeping rabbit, living within the shadow of the big boys at Headingly must upset them. They claim to have made some good signings (Haven't they all), but I think 2022 is the year the Myrtles go down in Flames.

Keighley: Always under the shadow of Bradford, I am not sure anymore. I think it is time for a reawakening of COUGARMANIA! Didn't do as well as they would've liked in 21, but with a solid start, they could upset the cart.

London Skolars: Many years ago I lived in London, and travelled to Wood Green, and was always disappointed by the atmosphere, teams, hospitality, facilities, they were always an amateur side, even Hemel were better serviced, they will struggle as Broncos have stolen their better players for 22.

Midlands Hurricanes: Improving year on year, I think this may be their breakthrough season, if the relegated clubs don't get in their way.

North Wales Crusaders: Colwyn Bay, and Rhyl, just down the coast was always considered by my Chester living Nan, as Liverpool-by-the-Sea, and despite the Welsh RU playing some lower National level teams there, RL might have a chance, It is easy enough, and pleasant enough a journey to Erias Park for most M62'ers, who could make a day-trip by rail. Play-offs beckon.

Oldham: Oh dear. What can I say about this fallen giant? Not a lot really, some awful signings last year led to relegation, hopefully in 2022 they can pull their financial strings together, and get a decent, loca, affordable ground share.

Rochdale: We are getting to the point where I repeat my School Report, Could do better. I feel for the Hornets fans, like so many peripheral Manchester Clubs, they had to sell their stadia, without considering an alternative, that didn't include bankruptcy, (See Below), the local community league teams are always very strong, and should provide enough players with pride to return the Hornets to stinging level.

Swinton Lions: Last season, the Lion without the roar, until they sacked their coach, then they picked up points too late. Signed some above average players during the off season, and may make some impact on this League.

West Wales Raiders: Another work in progress. However the work they are doing in the valleys will surely reap some rewards soon. Llanelli, may well see another successful Rugby team in the area, it may take another 10 years, but we are in it for the long term, Yes? 

Yes.

Good Luck, and a Strong and Covid-Safe 2022 to all the teams. Cornwall v Toulouse at Wembley/Old Trafford in 2030

Fully expect Swinton to be a top three side with that squad, it looks good. The rest is very hard to predict. Doncaster, Keighley, Hunslet, Rochdale and Oldham could all be up there but you also have to consider North Wales as outsiders, their form at the end of ‘21 was impressive and there will be more expectation there. As ever, League One is tough to call and I expect some surprises along the way.

Coventry to be in no man’s land. They won’t bother those chasing the play-offs but they won’t be looking back at the wooden spoon. West Wales have improved year on year but their expectations for 2021 were ridiculous so I’m wary of them, London Skolars look very weak having lost their better players and recruited former names from 2012-2014 and Cornwall will likely finish bottom with a squad with a large proportion of amateurs stepping up. 

I'll be happy if we make the playoffs again this year with some cracking performances along the way - last season was our best for a good while, and hope the lads can build on that for this year. One MAJOR issue is good Ol' human turtle Drakeford may have put the mockers on things with the "behind closed doors" policy if it's not lifted by season start, just as we were settling into our new home with much bigger crowds...

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Hurricanes have retained most of the key players from last season and I'm confident we have a squad that can build on the progress made last year. Will be disappointed if we don't finish with four teams below us but we should be aiming to get beyond the 'shock win against Heartland side' era and stay in touch with the play-off places for longer.

Richard Squires has done a fantastic job of developing the League 1 base that Tom Tsang built and the arrival of Mike Lomas as club chairman promises to be a big factor in the club growing beyond its Coventry roots. Alan Robinson has achieved so much since he started this journey but now is the time to take it up to another level. It is essential that we now see more RL fans from the wider Midlands area get on board and the off-field growth matches the playing achievements.

As I live two-or-three stone throws away from the BPA, it will feel like an all-away-game year but having somewhere to watch the game where you feel welcome will help with that particular change.  

Archived