League 1

Funny old sport isn't it? A few seasons ago I was looking forward to a big cash injection into Skolars and pursuing a long term strategy to get us into SL. Now? Much as I am looking forward to the return of RL and obviously hope for the best I think it will be a long hard season. Feels like we have gone back 10 years.

15 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Funny old sport isn't it? A few seasons ago I was looking forward to a big cash injection into Skolars and pursuing a long term strategy to get us into SL. Now? Much as I am looking forward to the return of RL and obviously hope for the best I think it will be a long hard season. Feels like we have gone back 10 years.

Did Hector completely withdraw from Skolars, or is he still a shareholder? 

On 01/01/2022 at 18:22, CornwallRL said:

Alphabetically:

Cornwall: If we get some decent players from local Union sides who fancy trying League, we may surprise some teams who bother to make the journey, and not use Covid as an excuse. We are an untried team, we may well be rubbish in our first games, but we will build.

Doncaster: Still regarded as an expansionist club by some M62'ers, but they have a good stadium, better than some higher divisional teams (Rhubarb triangle take note), although they don't own it they have stability, and could be a force.

Hunslet: I wouldn't call these a sleeping giant anymore, more a sleeping rabbit, living within the shadow of the big boys at Headingly must upset them. They claim to have made some good signings (Haven't they all), but I think 2022 is the year the Myrtles go down in Flames.

Keighley: Always under the shadow of Bradford, I am not sure anymore. I think it is time for a reawakening of COUGARMANIA! Didn't do as well as they would've liked in 21, but with a solid start, they could upset the cart.

London Skolars: Many years ago I lived in London, and travelled to Wood Green, and was always disappointed by the atmosphere, teams, hospitality, facilities, they were always an amateur side, even Hemel were better serviced, they will struggle as Broncos have stolen their better players for 22.

Midlands Hurricanes: Improving year on year, I think this may be their breakthrough season, if the relegated clubs don't get in their way.

North Wales Crusaders: Colwyn Bay, and Rhyl, just down the coast was always considered by my Chester living Nan, as Liverpool-by-the-Sea, and despite the Welsh RU playing some lower National level teams there, RL might have a chance, It is easy enough, and pleasant enough a journey to Erias Park for most M62'ers, who could make a day-trip by rail. Play-offs beckon.

Oldham: Oh dear. What can I say about this fallen giant? Not a lot really, some awful signings last year led to relegation, hopefully in 2022 they can pull their financial strings together, and get a decent, loca, affordable ground share.

Rochdale: We are getting to the point where I repeat my School Report, Could do better. I feel for the Hornets fans, like so many peripheral Manchester Clubs, they had to sell their stadia, without considering an alternative, that didn't include bankruptcy, (See Below), the local community league teams are always very strong, and should provide enough players with pride to return the Hornets to stinging level.

Swinton Lions: Last season, the Lion without the roar, until they sacked their coach, then they picked up points too late. Signed some above average players during the off season, and may make some impact on this League.

West Wales Raiders: Another work in progress. However the work they are doing in the valleys will surely reap some rewards soon. Llanelli, may well see another successful Rugby team in the area, it may take another 10 years, but we are in it for the long term, Yes? 

Yes. 

In fairness you've pretty much sold League One to my shamefully ignorant self here (who happily watches Super League, Championship, National Conference, anything but for some reason not L1!)... Well done sir.

On 31/12/2021 at 06:48, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Nothing wrong with taking players from Union 

Can we not have teams from the Welsh Valley Heartland and Borders as must be boring being closed off and no where higher to go in these Rugby heartbeats ?

Always thought Rugby League missed the trick Hartlepool.

2 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Think it’s going to be very difficult this year (the jump between the london leagues & league 1 is massive & i’m not convinced some of the signings they have made are going to cope, let alone compete!), but now more than ever the club is going to need is supporters & sponsors. While they financially should complete this season, i am really worried about the longer term ability to find the funds needed to play in league 1.

Skolars do some good with in the local schools & the mini/junior teams seem to hold their own & regularly provide lads for the Broncos Academy. Would be a real travesty if the recent central funding cuts end up being a nail in the coffin of a club.

On 31/12/2021 at 06:48, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Nothing wrong with taking players from Union 

Point out where I said there was anything wrong with it.

2 hours ago, EggFace said:

Can we not have teams from the Welsh Valley Heartland and Borders as must be boring being closed off and no where higher to go in these Rugby heartbeats ?

Always thought Rugby League missed the trick Hartlepool.

Hartlepool has a junior club which is a feeder for the Newcastle Thunder.

Seems like a bigger gulf between the top and bottom than in recent years. Swinton, Keighley & Doncaster's squads wouldn't be out of place in the championship. At least West Wales will fancy picking up some wins this year.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Seems like a bigger gulf between the top and bottom than in recent years. Swinton, Keighley & Doncaster's squads wouldn't be out of place in the championship. At least West Wales will fancy picking up some wins this year.

I feel the same. I fear that the comp will be far too lopsided in 2022 - well beyond what we've seen before. Hope I'm wrong!

4 hours ago, JonM said:

Have West Wales signed anyone yet or got a head coach. Think they'll still struggle. Cornwall still got some work to do and Skolars in transition. The rest of the league looks strong though. Will be a very interesting season 

On 05/01/2022 at 00:01, dead man inc said:

Think it’s going to be very difficult this year (the jump between the london leagues & league 1 is massive & i’m not convinced some of the signings they have made are going to cope, let alone compete!), but now more than ever the club is going to need is supporters & sponsors. While they financially should complete this season, i am really worried about the longer term ability to find the funds needed to play in league 1.

Skolars do some good with in the local schools & the mini/junior teams seem to hold their own & regularly provide lads for the Broncos Academy. Would be a real travesty if the recent central funding cuts end up being a nail in the coffin of a club.

I totally agree and I personally will be watching and sponsoring at least one player but the risks you flag are sadly spot on. There was just about enough room for a professional and semi pro team in London but not for two part time ones with less money. The pool of players is just too small.

It’s hard to see how we will compete against many of the teams in L1, which is always a tough competitive league. I can’t say I am very optimistic about the future of RL in London. Given all the hard work Skolars have put into building the profile of the club and sport it makes me very sad.  

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest impact on League 1 this season is the massive cut in central budget from the RFL. Those who have deep pockets will probably end up on the top of the pile, but it will be a big ask of people who love the sport to try and fill the void left by the central budget cut.

On 06/01/2022 at 22:08, EssexRL said:

I totally agree and I personally will be watching and sponsoring at least one player but the risks you flag are sadly spot on. There was just about enough room for a professional and semi pro team in London but not for two part time ones with less money. The pool of players is just too small.

It’s hard to see how we will compete against many of the teams in L1, which is always a tough competitive league. I can’t say I am very optimistic about the future of RL in London. Given all the hard work Skolars have put into building the profile of the club and sport it makes me very sad.  

dont write them off. this season will be about reinventing a new business model but the guys behind it are good guys and will get through it

32 minutes ago, IM2 said:

dont write them off. this season will be about reinventing a new business model but the guys behind it are good guys and will get through it

I certainly hope so and I will be there in a couple of weeks for the CC match. The roots are deep and hopefully there is a model being developed that will work alongside a part time LBs also chasing London RL talent. I think it would be good for the club to share the plan. I can put up with a year of being hammered (although it is not the most exciting sporting spectacle in the world - a one sided RL game, I am still scared from when we lost 6-66 to Newcastle about six years ago), if there is a longer term strategy/plan.

On 30/12/2021 at 13:51, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Personally I’d like to see this league expanded with new teams in the Midlands and South, but with most of the season split into a League One North and a League One South. The top 2 sides from each league could compete in a combined play off.

To improve the in field standards you have to be playing the best week in week out. 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 05/01/2022 at 21:38, OriginalMrC said:

Have West Wales signed anyone yet or got a head coach. Think they'll still struggle. Cornwall still got some work to do and Skolars in transition. The rest of the league looks strong though. Will be a very interesting season 

Just over a week til their first game of the season and Raiders still have no head coach. They have aparently started training but less than 10 turning up. Sacking their coach at the end of last season without a plan in place looks like a really bad decision. They really need to sort this out if they are to continue to progress and grow the game in West Wales. 

Archived