Happy New Year Everyone. What are your hopes for 2022 in Rugby League?

Let us end the year on a cordiale and optimistic mood. First Happy New Year fellow rugby leaguers.

My hopes for next year are:

A successful World Cup, with everyone on board, England doing very well and it forcing itself into the public's consciousness for good reasons.

For the Channel Four FTA games to be a triumph. A modern, contemporary feel to the presentation would be a desire.

RL continues to celebrate its tradition of inclusiveness and diversity.That its trusted force for progressive values is enhanced in 2022.

Perhaps a new name on the Grand Final trophy?

For Salford to have a drama free season and enjoy some stability and maybe a nice cup run. That the move from the AL Bell stade is finalized well. 

Hoping that those big issues that could impact on the season, starting with B- and C-, are managed as well as possible.

And lastly, a renewed spirit of co-operation and fairness grips the game, as opposed the decades of cliques, cronyism and favouritism we have endured.

A bloody successful world cup is the main wish I think. Decent crowds, good TV viewing figures and a new name on the trophy. I would love to see England v Tonga in the final with 74,000 in Old Trafford with the game going to extra time and England winning by charging down a drop goal attempt and running 90 metres with a roaring crowd behind them. It would be an amazing image for the sport.

Hull FC doing the triple ideally but staying up would do me for starters. Certainly a new name on the SL trophy is always gonna be welcome. I hope Toulouse can have a solid first season in the SL as well. 

I want to see the continued growth of the women's and wheelchair games as well. Both are growing at a tremendous rate at the moment and are both very entertaining products with a lot to offer to the general growth of our game. I'm really getting into the wheelchair game in particular. 

I finally want the space lizards that run the NRL to expose themselves to us as well and give us their list of demands so we can start working with them for the greater good of the game rather than just one country. Then they can sod off back to whatever parallel universe they have come from. 

I'm allowed to dream. 

Successful World Cup, primarily someone other than Australia to win but ideally an England win. 

A new name on the SL trophy and someone other than Saints, Wigan or Leeds to win the Challenge Cup (I say that as a Saints fan). 

France to be awarded the 2025 WC and that stimulates growth over there. 

A regular international calendar to be introduced. 

Exciting seasons and growing crowds in the Championship and L1. 

Cornwall to be a success. 

I`d like the World Cup to start making some decent money so that so we`ve got some money to help countries like Turkey and Ghana (and the rest) start realising their potential. And so we don`t have situations like that bloke from Turkey coming on here trying to scrape a few dollars together for their local League.

St. George making the top 4 would be nice as well. 

Good health and a happy new year from the Rocket.

People to stop saying the sport is dying! 

Covid to beggar off.

A great World Cup, with England the final by 40 points.

C4 and Premier to fall in love with RL, leading to more coverage and viewing figures through the roof.

8 minutes ago, doc said:

Covid to beggar off.

C4 and Premier to fall in love with RL, leading to more coverage and viewing figures through the roof.

The first one 😂😂😂

Really looking forward to the games on Channel 4 - let's all do what we can to big them up - and the World Cup(s).

I promise I will genuinely be pleased if the Broncos at Wimbledon draw decent crowds.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Anita Bath said:

Rochdale Hornets to win the challenge cup, 100 years after they won the Northern Union Cup, beating Oldham in the final.

If anyone wants to know what I am drinking, pm me!

Id suggest you are sniffing 😉

A strong York and Cumbria and merger of Rugby League and Rugby Union of getting Touch/Tag/X-League /7's and amateur games join together and NO pro Rugby to be played as the same time as amateur but Rugby League has always had that advantage over Union.

Maybe the Hearns can help a hand with big events.

Hopefully CH4 will be so impressed with the game of RL they want more. Cornwall being a success, the RLWC being the best ever with huge profits. John Dutton remains in the game. Finally a wk before the start of the season the SL scrap the golden point for league games. 

5 hours ago, Josef K said:

Hopefully CH4 will be so impressed with the game of RL they want more. Cornwall being a success, the RLWC being the best ever with huge profits. John Dutton remains in the game. Finally a wk before the start of the season the SL scrap the golden point for league games. 

Agreed, scrapping GP would be excellent. 

14 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Really looking forward to the games on Channel 4 - let's all do what we can to big them up - and the World Cup(s).

I promise I will genuinely be pleased if the Broncos at Wimbledon draw decent crowds.

Based in London a bit next year and I will go to a couple because of the move to Wimbledon. Was never going to go to Ealing which felt like my local hockey club's set up. Don't know if others feel the same and that will be the key.

3 hours ago, Black Country Wire said:

Biggest hope is that the World Cup organisers have a contingency plan just in case the Aussies pull the same stunt again.

Just invite the Australian RU team - they would do anything for money...

Nr1 would be a great WC.

Crowds on the up as they can't go any lower in SL at the moment.

C4 To make a real go of RL and they get some great viewing figures.

Australia and New Zealand to turn up with full strength squads, and we see 16 squads of the best in the world playing for the Premier World Cup.

Someone other the Saints, Leeds or Wigan, winning something. 

An even competitive league, from top to bottom.

32 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

C4 To make a real go of RL and they get some great viewing figures.

ITV used to rival BBC Match of the Day, by broadcasting some lower division games, could some Dave or Quest be persuaded to show Championsip and League 1 games on a Wednesday after all the teams camcorder stuff has been sent in? 

Via YouTube 

I'm quite excited to see the Challenge Cup final at Tottenham this year. I think the difference between a 1/3 empty Wembley and a full house at Tottenham will be stark and the occasion will be far better for it.

Obviously, the World Cup is the big one. It finishes before the football begins, all matches from 3 tournaments live on the BBC, big sponsors - this is a real opportunity that I hope is not sabotaged by NRL self-interest again. For the first time in a good while, we are set to have four semi finalists who have a legitimate shot of winning the tournament outright, rather than one being a blow out, which will help the tournament a lot.

This, combined with the C4 deal means that the sport will be before more eyeballs than it has been for a very long time. Here's hoping we take advantage of the opportunity!

On 30/12/2021 at 20:31, doc said:

Covid to beggar off.

I was listening to some Arsenal fan’s before after their defeat against City and they just sounded like a lot of RL fans. 
The game is corrupt -  #Corrupt, 

The Game is dead - #thegameisdead

Keep it positive kids. I doubt anyone would aspire RL to turn into the EPL. 

Can I add another hope that the Reserve league takes off. There is something old school watching a game Wednesday afternoon and home for tomato soup and cheese butties about it all. 😀

Archived