40/30 instead of 40/20?

23 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The one thing I hate about rugby league is that everyone is forever wanting to change the rules of the game! This is the culture we've created by tinkering each year: instead of appreciating the sport for what it is, we're always looking at ways to change it to suit our own preferences.

Agreed 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

4 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

To be fair kidda, the real Moses would have more chance in changing the rules to what you suggested..... I'm sure the best hooker in RL, in Roby would love to change the name of his position in the last year of his career...

Roby? 🙄

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

On 30/12/2021 at 20:37, LlanWests said:

I'd like to have seen more 40/20's over the years, also, I haven't seen wingers holding back enough. So I'd like us to go to 40/30. I'd also get rid of the scrum and have the option of a 5 on 5 play after a knock-on. I'd also like us to be stricter on high tackles in order to have more off-loads. Call the hooker a rake, as in the main job of the No.9 is to rake the ball off the floor to a fellow player. 

<sigh>

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

if we go the way of the aussies we won't even have props and second rows they are all known as middles and middle edge now.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

2 hours ago, my missus said:

if we go the way of the aussies we won't even have props and second rows they are all known as middles and middle edge now.

We should call them edge-forwards, and just forwards for 8 and 10. We don't have proper scrums, props and second-row forwards haven't existed for decades. 

There not many rules I would change in our game. I like the act of a ball steal and think its a real skill that should be in the game in one way or another. I like the 40/20 as its an act of skill and precision to make that kick. Really the only thing I can think of that I would change is the rule of how we restart after the ball has been kicked out the dead ball area. For me too many teams are willing to just hoof the ball down field from their own half and get it dead to have a set restart even if it does give an extra tackle.Id have that as a 30m or 40m restart if the ball is kicked from your own half and out the back.

Thinking about it as well, I love the 6 again rule but I would change it where if the penalty is on the 1st or 2nd tackle then its actually a kick for touch. Again too many teams are happy to take this opportunity to get a controlled defensive line set even if it means giving up another set.

13 hours ago, LlanWests said:

We should call them edge-forwards, and just forwards for 8 and 10. We don't have proper scrums, props and second-row forwards haven't existed for decades. 

Correct, same goes for "scrum half" and "stand off". You still see people on forums using these terms as if they are still actual positions, whereas what every team now has is basically a left-side half back and a right-side half back.

On 31/12/2021 at 07:37, LlanWests said:

I'd like to have seen more 40/20's over the years, also, I haven't seen wingers holding back enough. So I'd like us to go to 40/30.

When the 40/20 came in I thought it was a brilliant concept. The part I thought was particularly clever was that it would shorten the defensive line, especially on the last two tackles as the wingers dropped back tp protect against 40/20 attempts. Theoretically this may lead to more teams running the ball on the last as they attempted to take advantage of the overlap, and more running the ball and more overlaps and breaks down the sideline is always a good thing I think most of us would agree.

After a couple of years when the talk back shows were reviewing it most people agreed that it had been a success, but perhaps as you say some thought it may have not had the impact that it may have had. Having said that it can be a momentum changer and attempts certainly do generate excitement.

I remember thinking at the time and even calling into said League Talk back shows why not extend it all sectors of the field i.e. 10/50, 20/40, 30/30, 40/20, 50/10 basically any where the attacking team could make a 40 + metre kick and find touch.

This I thought would have the defending team continually on guard against 40 metre kicks and mean they would almost always have to have their wingers back defending against it, hence a permanently shortened defensive line and more incentive for attacking teams to spin the ball out wide to take advantage of the overlap.

The thing I like about it also is that it breaks up the old rigid 12 man defensive line in League, we start to get into a situation where we are a bit more like other sports with positions all over the field and perhaps encourage a bit more broken field play.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

When the 40/20 came in I thought it was a brilliant concept. The part I thought was particularly clever was that it would shorten the defensive line, especially on the last two tackles as the wingers dropped back tp protect against 40/20 attempts. Theoretically this may lead to more teams running the ball on the last as they attempted to take advantage of the overlap, and more running the ball and more overlaps and breaks down the sideline is always a good thing I think most of us would agree.

After a couple of years when the talk back shows were reviewing it most people agreed that it had been a success, but perhaps as you say some thought it may have not had the impact that it may have had. Having said that it can be a momentum changer and attempts certainly do generate excitement.

I remember thinking at the time and even calling into said League Talk back shows why not extend it all sectors of the field i.e. 10/50, 20/40, 30/30, 40/20, 50/10 basically any where the attacking team could make a 40 + metre kick and find touch.

This I thought would have the defending team continually on guard against 40 metre kicks and mean they would almost always have to have their wingers back defending against it, hence a permanently shortened defensive line and more incentive for attacking teams to spin the ball out wide to take advantage of the overlap.

The thing I like about it also is that it breaks up the old rigid 12 man defensive line in League, we start to get into a situation where we are a bit more like other sports with positions all over the field and perhaps encourage a bit more broken field play.

It would just be so difficult to referee, was it behind the 10 etc. flip. Nah. 

The other thing I would like to see is a ban on kicking in a forwards direction after going past your own 40m line. I detest seeing tries scored from kicks. I would prefer to see a ban on kicking in a forwards direction altogether, but...

I like the 40/20 rule as a reward for skill execution but would not want to see it watered down. 

It surprises me how under-utilised the 40/20 attempt is as a way of winning the territory and possession battle especially if your pack is struggling in the forward battle for the hard yards down the middle.

On 03/01/2022 at 13:06, The Blues Ox said:

There not many rules I would change in our game. I like the act of a ball steal and think its a real skill that should be in the game in one way or another. I like the 40/20 as its an act of skill and precision to make that kick. Really the only thing I can think of that I would change is the rule of how we restart after the ball has been kicked out the dead ball area. For me too many teams are willing to just hoof the ball down field from their own half and get it dead to have a set restart even if it does give an extra tackle.Id have that as a 30m or 40m restart if the ball is kicked from your own half and out the back.

Thinking about it as well, I love the 6 again rule but I would change it where if the penalty is on the 1st or 2nd tackle then its actually a kick for touch. Again too many teams are happy to take this opportunity to get a controlled defensive line set even if it means giving up another set.

I've seen it suggested before that if you kick it over the dead ball line, part restarts from where the kick was taken rather than on the 20m line (a bit like if you kick out of touch on the full).

Think it would stop teams kicking so deep, but then it would also prefer us seeing some great precision kicks to the back of the try area as the risk would be too great.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 30/12/2021 at 22:10, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The one thing I hate about rugby league is that everyone is forever wanting to change the rules of the game! This is the culture we've created by tinkering each year: instead of appreciating the sport for what it is, we're always looking at ways to change it to suit our own preferences.

Totally agree

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

21 hours ago, LlanWests said:

The other thing I would like to see is a ban on kicking in a forwards direction after going past your own 40m line. I detest seeing tries scored from kicks. I would prefer to see a ban on kicking in a forwards direction altogether, but...

Why would you kick the ball backwards in a game that values territory?

11 hours ago, Marauder said:

Why would you kick the ball backwards in a game that values territory?

I think he may have had a few beers before posting that (or something more) as none of it made sense.. 

40/20 is a tough skill but i am surprised how few teams dont utilise it earlier in a count.. even on tackle 3 when they are still struggling to make yards.. you may get another 10 before then having to hand posession back but if you can get the ball back yourself it may be worth the risk, especially as you are making them bring it out of their 20 (or very nearly) if you miss touch. If you find touch but its short your players still get a bit of a break and you are starting your defence down towards their 20 which you wouldnt be doing if you kick open and your chase is not great.

for me its worth the risk if you are struggling in your 40 and its not attempted as much as i would think it would be.. 

4 hours ago, RP London said:

I think he may have had a few beers before posting that (or something more) as none of it made sense.. 

40/20 is a tough skill but i am surprised how few teams dont utilise it earlier in a count.. even on tackle 3 when they are still struggling to make yards.. you may get another 10 before then having to hand posession back but if you can get the ball back yourself it may be worth the risk, especially as you are making them bring it out of their 20 (or very nearly) if you miss touch. If you find touch but its short your players still get a bit of a break and you are starting your defence down towards their 20 which you wouldnt be doing if you kick open and your chase is not great.

for me its worth the risk if you are struggling in your 40 and its not attempted as much as i would think it would be.. 

I'm surprised more teams don't  kick the ball dead (bouncing first) at the back of the opposition's  posts, I remember London doing it to Hull FC a few years ago

Archived