Interesting news from FEV

tms

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

If it wasn’t good for championship clubs they wouldn’t be doing it. You might not like it as fans but the clubs obviously do. 

Because they can ostensibly run skinny squads and get free top full time top ups from SL clubs.

5 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

I'm sure I read/heard somewhere that Featherstone paid £60k a year to Leeds? 

By free I meant full time players on tap to bolster a squad through the season rather than wages. That is what irks other less connected clubs who may suffer injury crisis and suspensions I'd imagine. Sorry if it wasn't clear. 

Just for context on squad sizes as published 

Squads

The following are the squad sizes mentioned in the link.

Barrow – 26

Batley – 29

Bradford – 26

Dewsbury – 23

Fev – 25

Halifax – 26

Leigh – 20

London – 20

Newcastle – 24

Sheffield – 28

Whitehaven – 24

Widnes – 27

Workington – 28

York - 25

The Fev squad doesn't look that skinny to me.

3 hours ago, Fevrover said:

IF Fev go up nothings certain they will.

I don’t think you need to worry Fevrover you’ll walk the league and will win the GF, as well as picking up the “Decks on The Decks” trophy. They might be worth a couple of pound on winning all three. 

18 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Personally I don’t like dr and much preferred it last season without but as other clubs are doing it I don’t see how people can criticise Fev.

Hi Paul, my club is also doing it with Saints, is this season going to turn into which SL club can assist their DR partner best? Basically Fev and Leigh are the two favourites to take the title BUT in this ###### system it could be down to outside influences that can sway the title,how anyone in their right mind can condone that is beyond me.

Has anyone seen any reasoning published by the rule makers why this system is being utilised, I haven't nor I suspect we ever will it could not be substantiated in any debate whatsoever.

14 hours ago, bobbruce said:

If it wasn’t good for championship clubs they wouldn’t be doing it. You might not like it as fans but the clubs obviously do. 

There is obviously an advantage in Championship clubs using DR but its just the typical short term thinking that we are used to in RL.

Taking Leeds they obviously feel they have too many players to just use Fev for DR so link up with Bradford too. It shows what they think of the reserve grade in my opinion and it also tells me they have too many players on their books that could be playing regular RL week in week out and getting better for it.

14 hours ago, bobbruce said:

And what happens if fans start voting with their feet Bob?

I honestly don't care if Leigh fell out with Saints tomorrow and the arrangement was scuppered, I am a fan of Leigh not Saints, that is where my loyalties lie, I honestly don't care about assisting Saints in their quest for another title, they are one of our biggest club's and they should along with all the other SL club's looking after their own affairs as should the Championship and L1 club's, any club who can't should step down.

39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Paul, my club is also doing it with Saints, is this season going to turn into which SL club can assist their DR partner best? Basically Fev and Leigh are the two favourites to take the title BUT in this ###### system it could be down to outside influences that can sway the title,how anyone in their right mind can condone that is beyond me.

Has anyone seen any reasoning published by the rule makers why this system is being utilised, I haven't nor I suspect we ever will it could not be substantiated in any debate whatsoever.

For once we seem to be in agreement on dual registration Harry. Surely a compromised solution to this is no dual registration or loan players to play in the playoffs or grand final?

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

For once we seem to be in agreement on dual registration Harry. Surely a compromised solution to this is no dual registration or loan players to play in the playoffs or grand final?

Does this agreement actually allow for Leeds to send whoever to Fev (or Saints to Leigh) in the play offs? How does this make sense and how is it fair to other less well connected clubs pushing for the play offs?

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Does this agreement actually allow for Leeds to send whoever to Fev (or Saints to Leigh) in the play offs? How does this make sense and how is it fair to other less well connected clubs pushing for the play offs?

AFAIK DR’d players have to have played at least 3 times before the regular season end to qualify for the play offs.  

Loans are different and (I thought) had a 28 day rule.   I read on here that that has been changed but I’ve seen nothing to support it.

We are about due for another ‘we are close to realignment’ media release so that might provide clarification but I won’t hold my breath.

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If by "whoever" you mean "anybody, including high-profile first teamers", there has always been a rule in place that restricts clubs from playing DR players after the signing deadline unless they have played a certain number of games for that club (I think it was at least four games in 2019). So you're not going to get a situation where, say, Alex Walmsley and Tommy Makinson are going to turn up for Leigh in the play-offs, or Aidan Sezer and David Fusitu'a for Fev.

I have to say whilst very few of us actually like DR I think some of the reactions to its actual impact are exaggerated, especially in terms of "distorting the league" and that sort of thing. It's just one small variable along with injuries, suspensions, etc and personally I don't think it has anything like the impact on the league that some people suggest.

For instance, Dane Chisholm has recently been given an 8-game ban for alleged comments to a Swinton physio, as a Fev fan I would definitely rather lose the three potential Leeds DR players than Dane for those three games but I'm not complaining that the decision of the disciplinary panel will "distort the league", it's just one of those things.

As an aside, prior to last season it was widely predicted that the lack of DR would see Fev struggle in comparison to previous seasons. The club lost 10 regular-season league games in the last full Championship season in 2019 whilst using DR and 1 regular season league game last year when there was no DR, so go figure.

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If by "whoever" you mean "anybody, including high-profile first teamers", there has always been a rule in place that restricts clubs from playing DR players after the signing deadline unless they have played a certain number of games for that club (I think it was at least four games in 2019). So you're not going to get a situation where, say, Alex Walmsley and Tommy Makinson are going to turn up for Leigh in the play-offs, or Aidan Sezer and David Fusitu'a for Fev.

I have to say whilst very few of us actually like DR I think some of the reactions to its actual impact are exaggerated, especially in terms of "distorting the league" and that sort of thing. It's just one small variable along with injuries, suspensions, etc and personally I don't think it has anything like the impact on the league that some people suggest.

For instance, Dane Chisholm has recently been given an 8-game ban for alleged comments to a Swinton physio, as a Fev fan I would definitely rather lose the three potential Leeds DR players than Dane for those three games but I'm not complaining that the decision of the disciplinary panel will "distort the league", it's just one of those things.

As an aside, prior to last season it was widely predicted that the lack of DR would see Fev struggle in comparison to previous seasons. The club lost 10 regular-season league games in the last full Championship season in 2019 whilst using DR and 1 regular season league game last year when there was no DR, so go figure.

Again, my main point stems around the ability for these clubs to bolster their squad with full time players on tap in the middle of a season when there may be suspensions or injury crisis. Other clubs without that luxury can fall away and not even make the business end without having that resource. I have no doubt Fev and Leigh have solid Championship squads but this does appear to be an additional insurance arrangement that could skew the Championship over the season.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Again, my main point stems around the ability for these clubs to bolster their squad with full time players on tap in the middle of a season when there may be suspensions or injury crisis. Other clubs without that luxury can fall away and not even make the business end without having that resource. I have no doubt Fev and Leigh have solid Championship squads but this does appear to be an additional insurance arrangement that could skew the Championship over the season.

Bang on,what was promising to be a really exciting comp this year,despite the 2 favourites spending spree is now turning into a farce.

14 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I have to say whilst very few of us actually like DR I think some of the reactions to its actual impact are exaggerated, especially in terms of "distorting the league" and that sort of thing.

I'd agree with that, there's this daft idea that because Leeds (or saints) are a top side then Fev (or Leigh) will be getting access to top players. Some of the Leeds players Fev have had in past years, were not good enough for Superleague, and some were returning from injury, and also how can players gel as a team anyway if they aren't playing regularly as team mates?

Now I understand that as Fev don't have much money they may feel this is the most affordable way to get the best in the circumstances, team out on the pitch every week. But Leigh happen to have two Millionaires behind them whom appear to be worried that some fringe Leeds lads are going to pinch the promotion spot and hand it to Fev.

For me it's an advantage to have a settled squad of quality players, all focussed on playing for Leigh and winning that promotion spot, over a rivals thin squad bulked out by spare, or out of form or returning from injury players from another club who aren't there to win the league.......

I'd like to see Degs and Marwan build a proper Leigh side and back it....... 

21 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What you're describing is really no different to the loan market we've had for years though is it?

For me where DR really needs tightening up is to have some sort of age rule or SL maximum appearances rule.

26 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Again, my main point stems around the ability for these clubs to bolster their squad with full time players on tap in the middle of a season when there may be suspensions or injury crisis.

Derek Beaumont and Marwan Koukash don't seem to have any problems in terms of having the funds to put a very strong and extensive squad together than can dominate the Championship and still have the funds to buy mid season if a crisis did arise??

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

What you're describing is really no different to the loan market we've had for years though is it?

For me where DR really needs tightening up is to have some sort of age rule or SL maximum appearances rule.

No it is completely different. You can have a Leeds or Saints player miss the squad for the first team game on a Friday and rock up at Featherstone or Leigh and turn out on a Sunday. Then back to Leeds or Saints on the Monday for first team training.

14 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Derek Beaumont and Marwan Koukash don't seem to have any problems in terms of having the funds to put a very strong and extensive squad together than can dominate the Championship and still have the funds to buy mid season if a crisis did arise??

Then why are they doing it? It is just an easy on tap insurance policy to give them extra protection. It is also stopping another less resourced club agreeing this with top SL clubs - prevention policy. No DR players should play in any of the business end fixtures at the very least.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

No it is completely different. You can have a Leeds or Saints player miss the squad for the first team game on a Friday and rock up at Featherstone or Leigh and turn out on a Sunday. Then back to Leeds or Saints on the Monday for first team training.

It's really not different at all. You can have a Leeds or Saints player (or Wigan, or Cas, or Warrington etc) rock up on loan anywhere on Sunday if the paperwork's done in time. Yes unlike the DR players in theory they aren't back at the club for training between games but with loans down to an initial 2-week minimum that's the only material difference between loanees and DR. 

Moreover, in this interview with Jarrod O'Connor he seems to be stating that he will still be training with Leeds whilst on loan at Bradford so even that difference might have vanished.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/loan-move-is-vital-stepping-stone-for-leeds-rhinos-youngster-jarrod-oconnor-3516350

"...we are still going to be training at Leeds as well, so it will be good getting the knowledge off both coaches and getting a bit of a different view on the game might help"

Archived