I think we need to see the full rules on this before getting the pitchforks out/praising them on high. I would expect it will be a lore more nuanced than just "if you have covid and cant play, 48 points battering" and will have a set criteria to judge each case against. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, dkw said:

I think we need to see the full rules on this before getting the pitchforks out/praising them on high. I would expect it will be a lore more nuanced than just "if you have covid and cant play, 48 points battering" and will have a set criteria to judge each case against. 

too late, i've already posted.. 

2 hours ago, giasf said:

It completely ignores the fact that Super League players are not in a position to live in a bubble. If I'm a Premier League footballer, my missus (or fella...) can afford not to work, and I can afford to pay whatever I need to do (or the club will do it for me) so that I don't really have to interact with the general population - drastically reducing the chance of catching COVID.

There are very few Super League players who can afford to not have their family work, or relatives assist with childcare or even in many cases not run their own business on the side. There will be outbreaks, in many instances that won't be the fault of the players and some teams are going to be very unjustly punished. Total nonsense IMO.

Are you forgetting or overlooking that these rules also apply to the Championship and L1, apart from what you say effect's Full Time SL player's those other club's playing personnel also have other jobs they have to partake in.

4 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

With reserve grades and academies teams should have ample players to put out a full team.

Thirty years ago, I'd've agreed with you.

Superleague clubs will be grand.  It remains to be seen how it pans out for the clubs below that level.

I applaud the principle but it may prove impractical.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes quite, totally agree and it may just make SL think twice about commuting to sending player's out on DR jaunts.

Well, that's the upside, obviously.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are you forgetting or overlooking that these rules also apply to the Championship and L1, apart from what you say effect's Full Time SL player's those other club's playing personnel also have other jobs they have to partake in.

Yes but they can fill out their squads with dual reg players so shouldn’t have an issue fulfilling all their fixtures 

Might work if everyone was under the same umbrella 🤔

With the different rules between England & France🤔

Might make it easier for Catalans & Toulouse to get higher in the league 🤔

I suspect the RFL won't want to lose the French Derby after only one season 🤔

47 minutes ago, coolie said:

Might work if everyone was under the same umbrella 🤔

With the different rules between England & France🤔

Might make it easier for Catalans & Toulouse to get higher in the league 🤔

I suspect the RFL won't want to lose the French Derby after only one season 🤔

Isn't it still the case that professional athletes (or at the very least, vaccinated ones) are exempt from travel quarantines? 

As far as the COVID security procedures are concerned, the RFL/SLE can set whatever policies they like as long as they are within the laws of England & Wales/France at the time - as other sports governing bodies have done. 

31 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Isn't it still the case that professional athletes (or at the very least, vaccinated ones) are exempt from travel quarantines? 

As far as the COVID security procedures are concerned, the RFL/SLE can set whatever policies they like as long as they are within the laws of England & Wales/France at the time - as other sports governing bodies have done. 

Goalposts- moved-RFL-short notice

Think a few of the above have been strung together in a sentence a few times 🤔🤔

3 minutes ago, coolie said:

Goalposts- moved-RFL-short notice

Think a few of the above have been strung together in a sentence a few times 🤔🤔

If strict but appropriate COVID policies are set from the outset (and I think the 48-0 announcement is setting that particular stall out), then we shouldn't have any issues. 

Again, I think we're probably jumping the gun with the praise/outrage a little as the announcement doesn't really have a lot of substantial detail to it. 

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

If strict but appropriate COVID policies are set from the outset (and I think the 48-0 announcement is setting that particular stall out), then we shouldn't have any issues. 

Again, I think we're probably jumping the gun with the praise/outrage a little as the announcement doesn't really have a lot of substantial detail to it. 

nor is it confirmed yet.

johns spoken now so SHUT IT -what do you think this is anyway? some sort of forum where people can just come on here and post views ,opinions  and information about subjects and topics? things have to be aligned in a certain way around here - SO TOW THE LINE or leave!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

28 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

johns spoken now so SHUT IT -what do you think this is anyway? some sort of forum where people can just come on here and post views ,opinions  and information about subjects and topics? things have to be aligned in a certain way around here - SO TOW THE LINE or leave!

Can't be that bad. You're still here.

Other forums are available for people who don't like this one to wang on endlessly about Covid if they want to.

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Can't be that bad. You're still here.

Other forums are available for people who don't like this one to wang on endlessly about Covid if they want to.

only joshing mrs vivien - its nice to see other peoples posts get deleted as well as mine to be honest - lol 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Think the risk here is that clubs/players may be tempted to play even if they are positive. Whilst I understand why they are doing it, for part-time clubs especially with limited squads, it could be harsh. 

Not seen the detail, is it the ability to field 17 players or just a team?

4 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Think the risk here is that clubs/players may be tempted to play even if they are positive. Whilst I understand why they are doing it, for part-time clubs especially with limited squads, it could be harsh. 

Not seen the detail, is it the ability to field 17 players or just a team?

No, I think there's too much respect for the medical folk these days.

But my biggest fear is that we'll end up with clubs rocking up with less than 17 players and the game becomes presented as unprofessional.  I can't see clubs going with less than 13 - you'd probably be better taking 0-48 - unless the compensation becomes an issue.

23 minutes ago, Griff said:

No, I think there's too much respect for the medical folk these days.

But my biggest fear is that we'll end up with clubs rocking up with less than 17 players and the game becomes presented as unprofessional.  I can't see clubs going with less than 13 - you'd probably be better taking 0-48 - unless the compensation becomes an issue.

Players have played with concussions, played with injuries they shouldn't, players have not taken up vaccines (their choice) so not sure respect for medical folk is universal. 

A few seasons ago due to financial problems, Leigh turned up to Dewsbury with just 13 players and think they lost by less than 48 points, but it was a bit of a farce really. No disrespect to the Leigh players on the day, remember Micky Higham busting a gut for 80 minutes.

49 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Players have played with concussions, played with injuries they shouldn't, players have not taken up vaccines (their choice) so not sure respect for medical folk is universal. 

When did this happen ?   Recently ?   Before the concussion protocols came in ?

Or donkeys' years ago?  Give us an instance.

Times are changing.  Attitudes are changing.

If players haven't had vaccines, it is, as you say, their choice.   Employment law doesn't permit clubs to discriminate against them unless they test positive.

55 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

A few seasons ago due to financial problems, Leigh turned up to Dewsbury with just 13 players and think they lost by less than 48 points, but it was a bit of a farce really. No disrespect to the Leigh players on the day, remember Micky Higham busting a gut for 80 minutes.

Turning up short-handed isn't particularly a Covid thing.   It's more a not having a reserve team thing.   It's a problem that's been bubbling below the surface for about twenty years.

On 07/01/2022 at 17:51, Griff said:

When did this happen ?   Recently ?   Before the concussion protocols came in ?

Or donkeys' years ago?  Give us an instance.

Times are changing.  Attitudes are changing.

If players haven't had vaccines, it is, as you say, their choice.   Employment law doesn't permit clubs to discriminate against them unless they test positive.

Players will always feel under pressure to play for financial reasons, fear of losing their place in the team etc. Plenty of examples of players admitting deliberately underperforming in benchmark tests. As for playing with concussions, here's a 2018-2019 study from BMJ.  https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/7/1/e000860

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Players will always feel under pressure to play for financial reasons, fear of losing their place in the team etc. Plenty of examples of players admitting deliberately underperforming in benchmark tests. As for playing with concussions, here's a 2018-2019 study from BMJ.  https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/7/1/e000860

So they lie to the medical staff?

That's not the fault of the club management. It's about players not taking responsibility and being unprofessional.

How many actual incidents were there of clubs being unable to field a side in the last two years? I know SRD were fined for not playing Warrington. Did not Leeds declined to visit  Perpignan?

Anyone want to test drive how efficient a penalty system would be to the table, by applying to  retro calculate this for 20 and 21?

Apply to all the teams that cried off due to covid, refused to travel to France and those who had not enough players to fit in a  mini?

Does it make any difference? 

Difficult one this. I appreciate all the points people have made but the COVID call offs last year were so frustrating.

My team Hull KR called off 3 straight games when COVID struck. Ready to play again the opposition then called off the next 4 so that made it 7 games in a row called off.

We'd have forfeited the first 3 and been awarded the next 4 so you could say swings and roundabouts. But having paid for my season ticket and purchased tickets for away games at St Helens and Salford it certainly wasn't good for fans.

It really was galling when St Helens called off our game 2 days after parading with a full squad on their open top bus tour and 4 days after fielding a full team at Wembley.

It was too easy to call off games last year knowing there would be no penalty. On balance I agree with the idea that if you don't play you forfeit the game.

24-0, 48-0 it doesn't really matter but the principle that you should fulfil your fixtures needs to be re-established.

Archived