On 06/01/2022 at 16:07, Tonka said:

As vaccinated people can still get covid and with cases up to 200k a day, I’m not sure about this at all.  And 48-0 seems high.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Vaccination is proving ineffective against contracting the virus.

I am also understanding of the RFL’s reasoning. A strong deterrent to shenanigans is helpful. But the RFL should have their focus on games being completed, not being cancelled. 

For 2022, could it be possible to increase the squad sizes to include an additional 15 pay as you play contracts per club? This would help to ensure games are played each weekend and even further benefit the clubs that take their Covid prevention responsibilities seriously.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Griff said:

So they lie to the medical staff?

That's not the fault of the club management. It's about players not taking responsibility and being unprofessional.

Your phrase was "I think there's too much respect for medical folk these days.." when I posted that players may be tempted to play when positive. Never blamed club management.

On 07/01/2022 at 16:28, Griff said:

No, I think there's too much respect for the medical folk these days.

But my biggest fear is that we'll end up with clubs rocking up with less than 17 players and the game becomes presented as unprofessional.  I can't see clubs going with less than 13 - you'd probably be better taking 0-48 - unless the compensation becomes an issue.

For Leeds we have a first team squad of 30, academy players we could call up if we needed to go beyond that, and if we get really desperate could even bring some Featherstone players in on dual reg. Most Super League clubs will be in a similar position. We’d probably need about 20 players out with Covid to get to the point where we actually can’t field 17 players.

The fact is if Super League games are called off the home team will miss out on a lot of match day revenue, it’s annoying for supporters, all attendances are down as a result of games behind closed doors and called off games. All games need to go ahead if they possibly can.

If clubs are going into the season with squads that are too small that is poor management on their part, I believe Leigh have one of the smallest squads in the Championship if I remember correctly from another thread, and they have a history of not been able to field 17 players, but that was before and nothing to do with Covid.

Should clubs be allowed to call off games if they have a large number of injuries? Moving forward I don’t see how players missing with Covid is any different to players missing with injuries.

10 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Your phrase was "I think there's too much respect for medical folk these days.." when I posted that players may be tempted to play when positive. Never blamed club management.

Management choose the team.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

For Leeds we have a first team squad of 30, academy players we could call up if we needed to go beyond that, and if we get really desperate could even bring some Featherstone players in on dual reg. 

No chance of Fev needing to field a team then ?   They're now just part of the Leeds squad.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Should clubs be allowed to call off games if they have a large number of injuries? Moving forward I don’t see how players missing with Covid is any different to players missing with injuries.

Coincidently we had one team last season who manufactured a covid excuse to cancel one game when they were badly hit by injuries and suspensions.

0 - 48 this time round hopefully.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

True but players will declare whether they are fit to play or not.

We're drifting away from the point. We're not talking about a sore knee here.

How will they fake the Covid test ?  Tippex out the red line ?

Archived