George Hotel Dead and Buried

tms

26 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

I’m guessing that it was only Wigan that provided the previous alternative on that front?

Wigan did bid and I presume the bid centred around the redevelopment of Wigan Pier, that barge may have sailed as the site is nearing completion.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Absolutely. I can't think why the other owners/developers didn't think of this before.

It would earn stacks of money for the game at a minimal cost.

People will say money. Imagine getting it years gone by. You have the property value to begin with.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

Even as a Wiganer I would be against Wigan for all the same reasons why I don't think Huddersfield will work.

That’s fair enough - but I think it will be a case of beggars can’t be choosers. If as Padge says Wigan pull out then I don’t think there’s anyone else coming forward at the minute.

Will need some good diplomacy to convince and others places/councils to part-fund it.

38 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

That’s fair enough - but I think it will be a case of beggars can’t be choosers. If as Padge says Wigan pull out then I don’t think there’s anyone else coming forward at the minute.

Will need some good diplomacy to convince and others places/councils to part-fund it.

Having had a little think about it, Wigan does still offer another opportunity with the redevelopment of the Galleries Shopping Centre into a more of an entertainment hub. Huddersfield are probably thinking along the same lines if they are having problems with a large retail complex in the centre having become redundant, I don't know if they have by the way.

A large part of The Galleries is currently being used as an arts centre pending redevelopment.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

15 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Very strongly worded statement from RLC and RFL… https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36411/rugby-league-cares-and-rfl-statement-national-rugby-league-museum Unusual for things to be this openly critical so it really does show that Kirklees have made a complete mess of this all round.

Agree that it should go back out to tender/expressions of interest. Problem is that anywhere (Manchester, Leeds etc) all need local council on board for funding and support to make it happen. I’m guessing that it was only Wigan that provided the previous alternative on that front?

I think that's a pretty reserved statement.

If they wanted a very strongly worded one they should have considered getting Mr Trump involved...

15 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Very strongly worded statement from RLC and RFL… https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36411/rugby-league-cares-and-rfl-statement-national-rugby-league-museum Unusual for things to be this openly critical so it really does show that Kirklees have made a complete mess of this all round.

Agree that it should go back out to tender/expressions of interest. Problem is that anywhere (Manchester, Leeds etc) all need local council on board for funding and support to make it happen. I’m guessing that it was only Wigan that provided the previous alternative on that front?

Triple post! 🤪

2 hours ago, TBC said:

I think that's a pretty reserved statement.

If they wanted a very strongly worded one they should have considered getting Mr Trump involved...

Ha! Typically you’d expect it say that are ‘disappointed’ etc but it specifically criticised the decision Making and the communication so to me it seems stronger than the norm. And quite right too.

What other towns apart from Wigan and Huddersfield would be interested with available sites ? Leeds seem to be more Interested In student accommodation.  However I've noticed there are several vacant closed down city centre pubs and it looks like permanent closure I.E Victoria behind town Hall , Mr Foleys opposite Art Gallery .just a thought .Like I said before I'm not too bothered where it gets created as long as it gets done and done properly with quality 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

18 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

People will say money. Imagine getting it years gone by. You have the property value to begin with.

Yes, commercial property values are rocketing in Huddersfield.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Ha! Typically you’d expect it say that are ‘disappointed’ etc but it specifically criticised the decision Making and the communication so to me it seems stronger than the norm. And quite right too.

Indeed.

As someone who has lived in Huddersfield since birth, Kirklees Council town planning has been a shambles for years. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. (Whatever that means 🤔)

24 minutes ago, TBC said:

Indeed.

As someone who has lived in Huddersfield since birth, Kirklees Council town planning has been a shambles for years. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. (Whatever that means 🤔)

Most people's opinion of most councils planning is that it is a shambles, that is because all individuals want an individual town to provide exactly what they want for their individual needs.

That means nearly all people in all council districts are going to always be disappointed.

Councils work on supplying the average to the average population, which means you always get at best average and average is always below everyone's expectations.

43 minutes ago, Padge said:

Most people's opinion of most councils planning is that it is a shambles, that is because all individuals want an individual town to provide exactly what they want for their individual needs.

That means nearly all people in all council districts are going to always be disappointed.

Councils work on supplying the average to the average population, which means you always get at best average and average is always below everyone's expectations.

Actual reality is that council planning, along with other departments, have…

1) Major plans they want to implement themselves so are fully invested

2) Major plans that council leaders - elected members or council employees - want to implement and they are fully invested in

3) Major plans that council leaders want to implement and they fail to get fully behind - often due to political goalposts and budgets forever changing 

Not making excuses for Kirklees but generally there’s not enough staff to drive through more than one or two major projects at a time. Often they or others will push them to combine ideas and this may be what’s happening here eg lose the George Hotel but combine it with another development at the library.

One thing they and council should do is communicate any plans and this has definitely been woeful.

23 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Actual reality is that council planning, along with other departments, have…

1) Major plans they want to implement themselves so are fully invested

2) Major plans that council leaders - elected members or council employees - want to implement and they are fully invested in

3) Major plans that council leaders want to implement and they fail to get fully behind - often due to political goalposts and budgets forever changing 

Not making excuses for Kirklees but generally there’s not enough staff to drive through more than one or two major projects at a time. Often they or others will push them to combine ideas and this may be what’s happening here eg lose the George Hotel but combine it with another development at the library.

One thing they and council should do is communicate any plans and this has definitely been woeful.

Wigan Council have a few major projects on the go at the moment, they are very good at getting people outside of the council to get involved and have a good set up which is very good at tapping into available grants.

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

Wigan Council have a few major projects on the go at the moment, they are very good at getting people outside of the council to get involved and have a good set up which is very good at tapping into available grants.

Good to know and encouraging if they are still interested after all this.

On 07/01/2022 at 21:32, Padge said:

That's all well and good but what did the council ever do for us?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 07/01/2022 at 16:31, JohnM said:

I've just sent RLC my own views and comments via  Contact Us - Rugby League Cares

They can be contacted also at info@rlcares.org.uk

I've suggested they have a look at this thread, too, to see how some fans feel on the issue.

Might not have any effect of course, but if we don't tell them how we feel, they will never know.

No reply from them to me as yet.

On 08/01/2022 at 22:17, Padge said:

Kirklees council is a closed shop / secret society.

Some councilors don't even know what's going on.

Archived