RLWC 2025 France

5 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I wonder if the Aussies will look on a map to see where France is then decide to play a few club friendlys instead 🤔 .

There are towns in France that fly the Australian flag in memory of the sacrifice made by tens of thousands of young Australians who sacrificed their lives there and never came home, very much like yourselves no doubt. 

Even in the small village where I grew up our local football field has a memorial to the dozens of farmers sons and village locals who never came back from there. 

I think we know where France is.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

There are towns in France that fly the Australian flag in memory of the sacrifice made by tens of thousands of young Australians who sacrificed their lives there and never came home, very much like yourselves no doubt. 

Even in the small village where I grew up our local football field has a memorial to the dozens of farmers sons and village locals who never came back from there. 

Yeah dead right mate, Australia is certainly flavour of the month in France at the moment.

12 hours ago, The Rocket said:

The number of high profile Australians who have gotten behind this is yes a reflection of their knowledge that it is a hard sell in Australia and a successful tournament in other countries, especially countries of high renown like France will only add to the chance of it being a success when we do have it down here.

It was Wayne Bennett who made the initial visit to the French consulate in Sydney with Troy Grant after he, Bennett, had advised Grant on what a successful tournament might entail. I believe Robinson was consulted as well, neither anti-internationalists you would have to agree.

Any way all good and it is great news. Good day and I mean it.

There's a huge amount of negativity up here around Australian RL Rocket. Yes, we know and accept there are plenty of Australians who love international RL, so please don't take it personally, but the popular image is that the NRL really screwed the 2021 World Cup and have compounded that with the international weekend being effectively axed to protect the SOO. Bennett and Robinson are also nothing to do with the NRL, they acted in support of the IRL. I'm also not defending SL either here, they can be just as protectionist as the NRL but simply don't have the same financial influence.

On the positive side, we are now going to see two great and profitable World Cups in Europe over a 3 year period, and I'm sure every RL fan in the NH would love nothing more than the NRL and SL to see from these tournaments the potential of international RL and throw their weight behind it. A great opportunity for the game here, I hope we seize it.

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Yes only so they can palm it off on France so they dont have to host it. Either way its good that it is going to a nation who actually wants to host it and will put some effort into it.

Australia has funding for the World Cup in 2029, that was announced back in 2018 (https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/10-world-cups-10-years), the Government's here weren't prepared to bring the funding forward, so naturally it makes sense for it to go somewhere else.

England refused to take 2025 as well, at least Australia helped France secure government funding. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

4 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Australia has funding for the World Cup in 2029, that was announced back in 2018 (https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/10-world-cups-10-years), the Government's here weren't prepared to bring the funding forward, so naturally it makes sense for it to go somewhere else.

England refused to take 2025 as well, at least Australia helped France secure government funding. 

I notice in the 10 World Cup’s they list both Men’s and Women’s Rugby World Cups as 2 World Cups and FIFA Mens and Womens World Cups as 2 World Cups, but then the Rugby League World Cup as a single World Cup. Does this mean they won’t be holding the Women’s tournament?

4 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Very disingenuous when England were due to host it in 2021, until the NRL sabotaged it that is, now 2022. I'm not sure why you could possibly say that England refused to host it in 2025 when firstly it was never their turn and secondly they never actually did. That is real clutching at straws stuff. It certainly was Australia's turn in 2025 based on the cycle seen so far. Also let's not forget that by 2025 England would have hosted 4 World Cups to Australia's 2.

The 2029 World Cup hasn't even been awarded. Some tenuous article from the NSW Government is far from an official bid backed by the NRL and Australia. If you have a link to the official bid or even a quote from the NRL then I'd love to see it.

It's also really weird how you can say this so called funding cannot have been brought forward when it starts from 2019 and the supposed Rugby League Nines World Cup. Like that was a World Cup, well funded and backed but that's a different subject. I mean its quite obvious there is a glaring 4 year gap between 2023 and 2027 on that proposal waiting to be filled. 2025 would have been perfect.

Yes Bennett and Robinson have shown themselves as internationalalists over a long period of time. They have shown they have the games best interests at heart. Interestingly their views have often been at odds with the NRL and their strategy. 

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Err ok - but will the Aussies prefer to play some club friendlys rather than the WC? - I'm sure the Aussies know where England is but they didn't come over last year.

8 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

There's a huge amount of negativity up here around Australian RL Rocket. Yes, we know and accept there are plenty of Australians who love international RL, so please don't take it personally, but the popular image is that the NRL really screwed the 2021 World Cup an have compounded that with the international weekend being effectively axed to protect the SOO. Bennett and Robinson are also nothing to do with the NRL, they acted in support of the IRL. I'm also not defending SL either here, they can be just as protectionist as the NRL but simply don't have the same financial influence.

On the positive side, we are now going to see two great and profitable World Cups in Europe over a 3 year period, and I'm sure every RL fan in the NH would love nothing more than the NRL and SL to see from these tournaments the potential of international RL and throw their weight behind it. A great opportunity for the game here, I hope we seize it.

I agree with this post completely. 

And also want to say I love The Rocket's post and have nothing against him. However, there is a general view here that aus rl has screwed the game in Europe.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

I'd love to travel from Australia to France for this!!

I've never been to France and would love to have a drink with french rugby league fans and watch matches around the country.

And RL land (Carcassone, Toulouse, Perpignan, Langdoc ) is the most wonderful part of the world! I would love them to hold it in August or September when it is at its most beautiful. 

7 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

And RL land (Carcassone, Toulouse, Perpignan, Langdoc ) is the most wonderful part of the world! I would love them to hold it in August or September when it is at its most beautiful. 

Obviously that is not going to happen but I agree its such a pity it cant be held in the warmer months than taking place largely in November. It would be great touring around France in the summer following the World Cup.

8 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

There's a huge amount of negativity up here around Australian RL Rocket. Yes, we know and accept there are plenty of Australians who love international RL, so please don't take it personally, but the popular image is that the NRL really screwed the 2021 World Cup and have compounded that with the international weekend being effectively axed to protect the SOO. Bennett and Robinson are also nothing to do with the NRL, they acted in support of the IRL. I'm also not defending SL either here, they can be just as protectionist as the NRL but simply don't have the same financial influence.

Absolutely and Bennett and Robinson are two shining lights when it comes to the international game and wanting to see it played to its full potential. I have a huge amount of time for them both. Bennett in particular was very instrumental in saving the international game in the 2000's after the disastrous 2000 World Cup and the 2002 mid season GB v Australia test in Sydney with pushing for tests and the 3 and 4 nations when quite frankly few others wanted to know. Robinson is just a great guy all round and is passion for France and French Rugby League is very evident. I think he could easily run the game and be very successful in whatever he chose to do. He is just one of those special people.

Their views though, as you rightly point out are far from the views, attitude and strategy of the NRL and it is very wrong to conflate the two. They are often polar opposites to the NRL in their view and understand the importance of the IRL and international Rugby League. Trying to heap the credit for what they do onto the NRL is akin to applauding the RFL for something Richard Agar does.

38 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I agree, great news. And it is a very good day. But I don't think you calling this chap a populist does anything other than polarize people behind one binary view or the opposite. Perhaps this was what you intended.

I can genuinely understand your bewidermwnt from the other sude if the planet, but I think you need to understand the vitriol felt here in the UK post the world cup being postponed. The rugby league World here is completely different to what it is in the southern hemisphere. I read the gentleman's  post and thought it reasonable, but wouldn't have thought the same 12 months ago. There are a lot of bridges to be built. 

No division intended mate but I do take the rest of your points.

Yeah and it is really great news isn`t it, two World Cups in three years and the way you blokes put on a show is only going to heighten the anticipation for the next.

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

No division intended mate but I do take the rest of your points.

Yeah and it is really great news isn`t it, two World Cups in three years and the way you blokes put on a show is only going to heighten the anticipation for the next.

Do you know what, from the rest of your posts, I'm sure you didn't mean to polarize. So sorry and probably shouldn't have posted it if I'd thought about it longer. Good rule for general Internet posting there I think. 

1 hour ago, Copa said:

I've never been to France and would love to have a drink with french rugby league fans and watch matches around the country.

Rocket can give you directions if you need them mate.

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

After the news they’ve shafted a load of clubs at domestic level, my initial delight that the World Cup is going to France has been tainted a little. 

I'm a bit in the dark about this. I read on the French forum something about it but u didn't really understand. The general vibe in the UK is the French administration they've got at the moment is the best they've had . 

This is just a good announcement for those who love RL. I think we could see 10K+ fans going over just from the UK. I will certainly be looking at this. Really enjoyed the games in 2000.

I think the 3-year turnaround actually helps and not hinders the International game in this instance.

3 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I'm a bit in the dark about this. I read on the French forum something about it but u didn't really understand. The general vibe in the UK is the French administration they've got at the moment is the best they've had . 

While domestically things do seem a little odd, and we have to bear in mind Covid in all of that, Luc Lacoste is absolutely the best French Rugby league President I have seen and is a breath of fresh air. I have great hopes of the game really going places under him. He just seems to get it - he knows what the problems are and knows what needs to be done and is going about doing it.

Everything is just coming together nicely for French Rugby League. 2 SL clubs and now the 2025 World Cup. I have no doubt that the benefits that the increased profile, money and opportunities will bring will then drip down to the domestic game.

9 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Rocket can give you directions if you need them mate.

main-qimg-2009aade2586a3aa4007251c85b66bcb

I`ll give you the tip Frisky, first you`ve got to get the globe up the right way.

14 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It`s good to see a youth tournament included in there. It would be great to see countries like Serbia and other countries that don`t have a team competing in the open`s tournament but have a youth set-up be able to have the opportunity to have at least some representation at the WC. Good for the game in countries like that.

Honestly, that idea would be amazing. I imagine a tiered Youth World Cup. Open it up. 

Tier 1 - "Seeded" Main ten nations. 

Tier 2 - Unseeded. 

As it is Youth, it could easily be played on a nearby normal field to main games and played in blocks of 3 - 4 games over a day. 

I know we in Turkey would be keen. 🙂

2 hours ago, Copa said:

It’s a cracking country mate, the treiziste areas really are rugby league to the bone… it took me by surprise just how league-mad some of them are.

Archived