RLWC 2025 France

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few posts edited or removed.

Can we please keep this thread about the 2025 World Cup in FRANCE, and not diverted into raking over past arguments about the postponement of the 2021 World Cup in England.

Thanks.

I appreciate it’s treading a fine line given John’s preceding post, but I would just like to emphasise that the impending 2025 World Cup in France - which is a dream come true for us internationalists - has been enormously helped by Aussie internationalists, such as Grant and Robinson. There are a lot of Aussies who have put in a lot of hard yards to support the international game, and who believe in the game in France. 

14 hours ago, BJW said:

I'd expect at least one game and probably a double header in Paris with Lens also on the list.

Off hand I'd say opening game (at least) in Paris with final in Toulouse?

Wasn't that the Final in 1954 too .The Stadium in Toulouse where TFC play.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

30 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I appreciate it’s treading a fine line given John’s preceding post, but I would just like to emphasise that the impending 2025 World Cup in France - which is a dream come true for us internationalists - has been enormously helped by Aussie internationalists, such as Grant and Robinson. There are a lot of Aussies who have put in a lot of hard yards to support the international game, and who believe in the game in France. 

I am coming around to Troy Grant somewhat and what he is trying to do given the resources he has and the obstacles he faces. He is pretty much fighting battles he can win at the moment and has no real teeth in the IRL to challenge the NRL juggernaut. 

He is tapping into national structures/bodies. Essentially government money is driving the 2021 and 2025 RLWCs and these are going to be magnificent events. The inclusion of the Wheelchair and Women's WC is a masterstroke and France are looking to add a Youth WC alongside it too.

The fact that these two huge events are closer together (2022 and 2025) than normal provides us with an amazing opportunity to create life changing experiences for men, women, juniors and disability athletes. It will not go unnoticed that the players in the NRL/NRLW will be talking about their excitement of going to France in 2025 after competing the the UK WC this year.

The best positive news in RL since I don't know when! This is FANTASTIC!

I know im hoping beyond measure here, but I hope RL now has a plan for now and 'inbetween' the 2 world cups for nations to be playing each other regularly, and not just one off shoe-horned games. That RL doesnt expect to just 'rock up' to 2025 with no meaningful internationals in between.

1. Genuine comps for Eng, Wales, France, Ireland (add who you want appropriate)

2. NZ, Tonga, Samo, PNG - WHAT a time for these nations to really stengthen!

3. Something actively is done to give France the best possible prep to be more than competitive come 2025.

Another post removed.

Further reminder.

This thread is to discuss the 2025 World Cup in FRANCE.

Please try to stay on topic in here.

If you want to discuss past World Cups, or other countries staging World Cups, start another thread.

Thanks.

17 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I notice in the 10 World Cup’s they list both Men’s and Women’s Rugby World Cups as 2 World Cups and FIFA Mens and Womens World Cups as 2 World Cups, but then the Rugby League World Cup as a single World Cup. Does this mean they won’t be holding the Women’s tournament?

Potentially.  The IRL did present to member nations back around the 2017 World Cup a plan to host the Women's World Cup on a different cycle than the Men.

Plan was for 2025 to be the last joint and then Women's would move to 2027, 2031, etc.

Now whilst this was tabled, the IRL board have never finalised this one way or another, however that's not to say that the assumption was not made when the NRL brokered the deal for 2029.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

7 hours ago, Damien said:

The final was in Paris although Great Britain v France got a whopping 37k in Stadium de Toulouse in the group stage.

Yep, an attendance of 37,471 to be exact … AFAIK it remains the biggest ever crowd for a RL game in France !

Let's aim to beat it multiple times in 2025 !!!

Excellent news and I will be trying my hardest to be there. It would be great in it can be a massive success and we can break away from the England/Australia hosting cycle from now on.

Moving to something like a England/Australia/France/NZ & Pacific hosting cycle, even if it needs co-hosts to make it viable.

On 08/01/2022 at 07:07, The Rocket said:

It`s good to see a youth tournament included in there. It would be great to see countries like Serbia and other countries that don`t have a team competing in the open`s tournament but have a youth set-up be able to have the opportunity to have at least some representation at the WC. Good for the game in countries like that.

It would be absolutely brilliant to be able to give some of the emerging nations a presence on our biggest stage, very positive step forward this one. 

Would be interesting to see what age cap they'll be putting on this, I assume it'll be 19s or 20s. The ERL have done really well to get their u19 European championships going (they even managed to get England putting a team out!). Hopefully this WC inclusion spurs us downunder into promoting some greater domestic junior work within the Islands. There are already an abundance of junior tournaments supported by the NRL that field primarily heritage-based teams within Australia (this also happens within NZ) but getting domestic-based teams participating in junior tournaments would do plenty to strengthen player production IMO.

On the wider tournament, I'm sure there's plenty of work for France to do between now and then but the ambition shown here by the FFRXII is very exciting. Hopefully TO can stay up and continue to carry the momentum that appears to be building at the moment.

2 hours ago, UTK said:

It would be absolutely brilliant to be able to give some of the emerging nations a presence on our biggest stage, very positive step forward this one. 

Would be interesting to see what age cap they'll be putting on this, I assume it'll be 19s or 20s. The ERL have done really well to get their u19 European championships going (they even managed to get England putting a team out!). Hopefully this WC inclusion spurs us downunder into promoting some greater domestic junior work within the Islands. There are already an abundance of junior tournaments supported by the NRL that field primarily heritage-based teams within Australia (this also happens within NZ) but getting domestic-based teams participating in junior tournaments would do plenty to strengthen player production IMO.

On the wider tournament, I'm sure there's plenty of work for France to do between now and then but the ambition shown here by the FFRXII is very exciting. Hopefully TO can stay up and continue to carry the momentum that appears to be building at the moment.

Fiji and PNG already have homegrown teams in the Aussie cups? PNG Hunters and Fiji Silktails.

2 hours ago, UTK said:

One of the things that struck me was that there doesn`t seem to be as big a gap between nations at the youth level despite some nations obviously having a lot more players than others.

Of course a country like Australia would probably win more often than not, but from what I`ve seen sometimes the results are not as lop-sided as you`d expect. I think someone on here, it may have been @unapologetic pedant , correct me if I`m wrong UP, pointed out that French youth teams often punch well above their weight.

Second and third tier nations seeing their teams perform credibly in a youth tournament can only be a good thing.

The great thing about this also is that the work is starting NOW to sort out all the stadiums and find sponsors the French love their hospitality as well and i expect records will be broken in this regard.

A dedicated team will be set up to start work as soon as this years WC is complete the aim is to sell a minimum of 5 Million Euros of VIP hospitality for the tournament.

Paul

23 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

It’s a cracking country mate, the treiziste areas really are rugby league to the bone… it took me by surprise just how league-mad some of them are.

The strength of commitment and the generally small populations of French RL towns and villages are probably two sides of the same coin.

The disappointment is that more fans don`t support big club finals as neutrals. The parochialism could be bigger than the sum of its parts.

26 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

One of the things that struck me was that there doesn`t seem to be as big a gap between nations at the youth level despite some nations obviously having a lot more players than others.

Of course a country like Australia would probably win more often than not, but from what I`ve seen sometimes the results are not as lop-sided as you`d expect. I think someone on here, it may have been @unapologetic pedant , correct me if I`m wrong UP, pointed out that French youth teams often punch well above their weight.

Second and third tier nations seeing their teams perform credibly in a youth tournament can only be a good thing.

I’ve witnessed French youth teams defeat the English and even Welsh defeat English for that matter. 

It’s a very telling point. To me it demonstrates a very old adage. Talent will only get you so far. It would lend weight to the significantly improved coaching and training conditions for players turning FT over the age of 17/18 between Aus/Eng and Fra/Wales and as such, the gap at senior level is significantly greater than at youth level.

56 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

What do people think is a realistic target for the French on home soil. Is a semi final beyond them?

If they were put in a weaker group (No disrespect here lets say Wales/Scotland/Ireland/Cook Islands etc) they should win that depends then on the Qtr Final they could on the day beat lets say PNG/Fiji.

Paul

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

What do people think is a realistic target for the French on home soil. Is a semi final beyond them?

Its a really tough ask even at home. Obviously the draw is key, if they got a tough quarter final then they have no chance realistically. In 2013 they got a quarter final against England and the chances are if they get through the group stage they will end up with a tough team to beat again.

Key is Toulouse staying in Super League between now and 2025 and effectively doubling the French full time player pool playing at the highest level. That will provide the biggest boost to the national team possible in comparison to what we have seen over the last decade or more.

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

With a bit of tinkering (like for this RLWC2021) then an easier patheay to the quarter final, and possibly semi-final, is doable.

Ideally France need to be made a top seed to avoid Eng, NZ and Aus (argument can be made that hosts get this). Then they get a second seed such as Samoa, Tonga, Fiji. Third team is guaranteed as a Euro qualifier (so Wal, Sco, Greece etc) and fourth spot is Americas/repercharge. 

Needs something like that in place to give them at least a fighting chance.

I would look into the eligibility rules again, and work out whether there are established “overseas” stars who could be encouraged to qualify to play for France. I think that’s what other sports do - certainly, they used to do it a lot in cricket. 

Archived