RLWC 2025 France

4 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

And? What is your issue here? I'm sure the college and school comps will be back once Covid is behind us. So much negativity on this forum.

Wow, triggered much?

I was simply correcting some misinformation as happen to know quite a bit about Lebanon (domestically) amd other tier 2-3 nations in Europe. Should I put a disclaimer at the start each time I am stating a fact, something to the effect of: "I am not being negative, but..."? If that will help you sleep better at night, then I'd be glad to do my part. 

For the record, I have massive respect for Lebanon RL. The fact they had any activity during what has been a very rough time with a lot of civil unrest, is a great achievement!

I hope things settle there, they get dome continuity and hopefully a domestic player or two can stake a serious claim for a spot in their WC25 team! 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

They could have a heritage team full of people with Italian (for example) grandparents then. 

Only if 80% of them take out citizenship, they'd be legitimate Italians then.  And chances are they'd have to know Italian to complete the applications too.  🙂

20 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Only if 80% of them take out citizenship, they'd be legitimate Italians then.  And chances are they'd have to know Italian to complete the applications too.  🙂

I don't think that really changes anything though, as grandparent rule us more or less in kine with eligibility requirements of most EU nations anyway. 

There domestic quotas are much stricter in lower levels of qualifying in Europe. Greece, for example, who had the longest route, began in Group C, where you are only allowed 4 heritage players in your matchday 17. Beat: Malta, Ukraine, Norway. Then for their last two matches against Serbia and Scotland, the reverted to their Group A rules, which only allows a maximum of 15 heritage players. At WC level, it is unlimited.

It would be great if IRL adopted the ERL policies. Even 2 domestics in each matchday 17 is not unreasonable. This should be the rules for WC matches. 

4 hours ago, langpark said:

I don't think that really changes anything though, as grandparent rule us more or less in kine with eligibility requirements of most EU nations anyway. 

There domestic quotas are much stricter in lower levels of qualifying in Europe. Greece, for example, who had the longest route, began in Group C, where you are only allowed 4 heritage players in your matchday 17. Beat: Malta, Ukraine, Norway. Then for their last two matches against Serbia and Scotland, the reverted to their Group A rules, which only allows a maximum of 15 heritage players. At WC level, it is unlimited.

It would be great if IRL adopted the ERL policies. Even 2 domestics in each matchday 17 is not unreasonable. This should be the rules for WC matches. 

How would you feel about 17 players representing Palestine in a World Cup with all of them born in what is now Israel?

new rise.jpg

16 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

What do you think of the Pacifique Treize bid? They want to be in the Queensland cup.

The implications for France are potentially very exciting by effectively opening an untapped potential player pool with an established rugby pedigree, covering the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu seems a sensible way to expand the potential player pool of the club.

I'm not the most up to date on their activities but I believe after getting plenty of work underway initially they've gone fairly quiet in recent times, the exception to this was getting a few New Caledonians into Elite 2 teams this season (though I believe this was through Montepellier who are now no longer participating). 

The bid seemed to appear out of nowhere and in reality ideas of QCup status with a mostly domestic squad seem very far fetched as none of the involved countries have strong RL traditions. Even the Silktails were no more than a capable Ron Massey Cup side (tier 3 - below NSW/QCups) and Fiji has a much stronger pool of both RU/RL players to access domestically.

From memory there's actually a poster on here who is either involved or a very keen follower of their progress, they would probably be able to give the most accurate description of the bids plans for the future of anyone on the site. In my opinion even though their stated goal appears quite lofty for the suggested timeframe, developing stronger links between these territories would be very beneficial for this often overlooked segment of the pacific. If backing and desire truly exists for them to become an entity within some level of the QRL system it could be quite a big positive for both the Pacific and France, we should always be looking at different ways to expand the player pool at any level.

6 hours ago, Pulga said:

How would you feel about 17 players representing Palestine in a World Cup with all of them born in what is now Israel?

Nothing says desperation, quite like someone who is always digging for the one in a million scenarios to prove his point. 

Launch event going on right now.

128 matches, I think they said, across 40 centres and 4 tournaments. (Men's, Women's, Youth and Wheelchair).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Nothing says desperation, quite like someone who is always digging for the one in a million scenarios to prove his point. 

I'd argue there is one thing that says desperation quite like it: not being able to answer the question.

new rise.jpg

39 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

😂 Might be time for you to find a new forum where you can only hear the opinions that match yours.

Frustrating thing about the response from @Exiled Wiganer was that we were only ever trying to have a conversation about who might make the best match-up for the all-important opening game of the Rugby League World Cup 2025.

A game that is going to attract a lot of eyeballs purely out of curiosity, including a lot of people who have never watched a game of League in their life and also probably come under a fair bit of scrutiny being the opening match and involving the home team.

I thought it was a fair cop for to discuss what teams and for what reasons they could be chosen.

You suggested Lebanon for historical reasons, I argued choosing them might leave us open to criticisms of manufactured teams, all of a sudden we are anti-international - ludicrous.

BTW  given its` relationship with France there must be regions in France with a large Lebanese ex-pat populations, now that would be the place to play France v. Lebanon. Lebanese Australians love the physicality of League, can`t see why it would be much difference elsewhere. Still think France v. Fiji could be a good opening match-up.

11 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Reality check, it's only 3 years away!

Not long is it. I told Mrs Eddie last night that we were going to the South of France on holiday in Autumn 2025, she doesn’t know about the WC yet but seemed pleased. 

49 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Reality check, it's only 3 years away!

Time to get learning then

Duolingo Owl Parisian French " Sticker by annakaryl | Redbubble

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

At last.

Plenty of Brits will make the journey. This will boost our credibility no end, to say nothing of the massive massive boost for the game across the channel.

Now lets get France - and all other European nations - playing regularly in some sort of structured 'ladder'

On 07/01/2022 at 17:36, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This is brilliant, there is obviously an element of risk, France have only 2 professional clubs, but it’s a country with great Rugby League potential.

only two fully pro - many semi-pro clubs. This is waht FRL been waiting for since 1970 !

I can't really think of anything to say, it is all very positive at this stage. Really exciting and great to have the Prime Minister there.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I can't really think of anything to say, it is all very positive at this stage. Really exciting and great to have the Prime Minister there.

Indeed, it gives the announcement a lot more credibility and prestige.

10 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

only two fully pro - many semi-pro clubs. This is waht FRL been waiting for since 1970 !

Don’t get me wrong I’m very optimistic and think this is a great decision, but holding the tournament in France is a risk, it could end up losing money, but we should definitely go for it, it’s a risk as a game we should take and hopefully it comes off.

Some serious google maps research going on now. It would be great if they could do something special for the matches in Vichy regarding the games history and really inform the French public of what happened:

So far, 38 locations have expressed their interest in hosting either matches or base camps in the tournament, including Paris, Toulouse and even Vichy.

The full list is: Albi, Arras, Autun, Beauvais, Blagnac, Bègles, Besancon, Biganos, Bordeaux, Boulazac, Carcassonne, Chambéry, Chatillon, Issoire, Le Creusot, Le Mans, Libourne, Limoges, Limoux, Lourdes, Marmande-Tonneins, Martigues, Massy, Montauban, Montluçon, Narbonne, Nice, Paris, Périgueux, Perpignan, Pia, Roanne, Salon-de-Provence, Toulouse, Trélissac, Vannes, Vichy, Villefranche-de-Rouergue, Villeneuve-sur-Lot.

38 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Prime Minister Mr Jean Castex spoke for 25 minutes. He talked about the legendary Paul Barriere who organised the 1st WC in 1954 in France. Even mentioned the Catalans Dragons. Not surprised as the PM has strong links in the Pyrenees and has watched Super League games at Gilbert Brutus. It's quite extraordinary to see this launch take place.

Some good  pics here *

https://www.ffr13.fr/bienvenue-france2025/

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived