RLWC 2025 France

4 minutes ago, audois said:

Prime Minister Mr Jean Castex spoke for 25 minutes. He talked about the legendary Paul Barriere who organised the 1st WC in 1954 in France. Even mentioned the Catalans Dragons. Not surprised as the PM has strong links in the Pyrenees and has watched Super League games at Gilbert Brutus. It's quite extraordinary to see this launch take place.

Great stuff, let's hope he doesn't get booted out at the elections. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

At last.

Plenty of Brits will make the journey. This will boost our credibility no end, to say nothing of the massive massive boost for the game across the channel.

Now lets get France - and all other European nations - playing regularly in some sort of structured 'ladder'

ERL wants that. England are set to field the second team. There should be a European comp every 2 years. There's a cap on heritage players so that should help countries with a domestic set up.

48 minutes ago, audois said:

Prime Minister Mr Jean Castex spoke for 25 minutes. He talked about the legendary Paul Barriere who organised the 1st WC in 1954 in France. Even mentioned the Catalans Dragons. Not surprised as the PM has strong links in the Pyrenees and has watched Super League games at Gilbert Brutus. It's quite extraordinary to see this launch take place.

Some good  pics here *

https://www.ffr13.fr/bienvenue-france2025/

I see that according to his Wikipedia entry, he used to be mayor of Prades, in Pyrénées-Orientales.  Does he by chance have any prior connection with le rugby à treize apart from having watched the Dragons play?

This is great news and positive to have it confirmed.

I think it may be four years too early for them as can’t see them realistically being competitive against anyone of note so careful ‘planning’ of the groups could be key! But I’ll defo be heading over!  

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

It is a marvellous day for the game. Credit must go to the IRL, of course, but the level of professionalism shown so far by the organisers - 3 years out - suggests that they will give this their very best shot. I would also be interested to see whether we could pull off an Emerging nations tournament around it, perhaps a 9s tournament. Something to give the stalwarts in, say, Serbia, Turkey, Morocco to aim for... I am probably just being greedy now. 

10 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It is a marvellous day for the game. Credit must go to the IRL, of course, but the level of professionalism shown so far by the organisers - 3 years out - suggests that they will give this their very best shot. I would also be interested to see whether we could pull off an Emerging nations tournament around it, perhaps a 9s tournament. Something to give the stalwarts in, say, Serbia, Turkey, Morocco to aim for... I am probably just being greedy now. 

Serbia could make a push for the main comp with a couple of there heritage guys available 

4 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Serbia could make a push for the main comp with a couple of there heritage guys available 

Agreed, though (to their credit) they seem to rely on local players rather than Aussies. That said there’s no reason why they couldn’t have a decent team in three years time anyway, things seem to be progressing well over there. 

Interesting tweet here from Danny Kazandjian of the IRL: 

My reflections from Paris after the successful launch of RLWC2025
IRL can forge a strong, mutually beneficial relationship with a second G7 country. #France2025 will allow IRL to support multiple French policy ambitions. We must seize that chance, and we will. French govt. can play a strategic role in growing RL in its sphere of influence, especially through OL Francophonie. Our sport has never sought this type of international development partnership with the Francophone. The impact will be profound.

IRL’s #1 strategic target is a strong France and #RLWC2025 serves to accelerate that effort:

FFRXIII is targeting ~40k registered players by 2027 & ~450% increase in women’s teams. I would like to thank PM Jean Castex for his sincere support for our sport and the event.

Source:

It does no harm at all that the top IRL employee is based in France.

I don’t know what the French is for “Build it and they will come” (le construissez et ils venerant???). 

One thing that I didn’t appreciate until recently was the level of financial autonomy that local French municipalities have, and the extent to which winning the right to host a game is a badge of honour to a town/city/region. We can treat each game as a TdF stage, and make it a real community exercise - I know that John Dutton’s team is working on that basis, but the French seem to get the idea even more. Plus, they can build on the expertise over here, and pick the brains of the people who have already delivered, and will deliver later this year, wonderful world cups. 

7 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Vichy” - I hope they get a game ✊

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not long is it. I told Mrs Eddie last night that we were going to the South of France on holiday in Autumn 2025, she doesn’t know about the WC yet but seemed pleased. 

Eddie how long can you keep that sort of thing a secret:

Mrs Eddie: " Dear why are we packing English flags, English Rugby League jumpers and the kids are dressed in red from top to toe for our lovely holiday touring the French country side ? "  

Eddie: " Oh I hadn`t noticed " (Gulp - still haven`t told her). 

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Good to see such a wide spread of interested towns & cities. Could potentially be in every corner of France.

It would be good to play in towns like Villeneuve/lLot, Albi, St Gaudens and Villefranche in the early stages to bring life back into the code especially for the young.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I see that according to his Wikipedia entry, he used to be mayor of Prades, in Pyrénées-Orientales.  Does he by chance have any prior connection with le rugby à treize apart from having watched the Dragons play?

I don't know. Only that he knows Bernard Guasch who has invited him to games at Gilbert Brutus.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

6 hours ago, audois said:

Some good  pics here *

https://www.ffr13.fr/bienvenue-france2025/

Reading this and the stories last night I just can`t help but get the feeling that there is a bit of the French/Anglo rivalry in this bid and a hint of ` we can do it better than you`. There seems a few real points of difference and it`s almost like the French Gov`t are declaring ` we are the big sporting event nation`. They are certainly spending more.

Either way it`s fantastic if we have another wealthy country who wants to show off how they can put on a big event and that big event is our RLWC, crikey you never know, might see a bit more of an effort down here.🥴

35 minutes ago, langpark said:

Their target of 40,000 players by the year 2027, how does it compare to their current playing numbers?  I seem to remember between 20-30k being quoted recently, not sure if anyone has a more accurate figure?

In the Totalrl article it says:

By 2027, they aim to triple the number of federation members from 13,000 in 2021 to 39,000, and increase the number of clubs from 170 to 200.

As well as aiming for an almost fivefold increase in the number of women’s sections and a tripling of the number of wheelchair sections in France by 2027, they also aim for a threefold increase in youth Rugby League sections in the country, from 80 currently to 240.

Considering the current very limited reach I think this is more than doable with the right Government support and funding.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Eddie how long can you keep that sort of thing a secret:

Mrs Eddie: " Dear why are we packing English flags, English Rugby League jumpers and the kids are dressed in red from top to toe for our lovely holiday touring the French country side ? "  

Eddie: " Oh I hadn`t noticed " (Gulp - still haven`t told her). 

She’ll find out when we arrive in Albi for the Greece v Uruguay women’s wheelchair game. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

She’ll find out when we arrive in Albi for the Greece v Uruguay women’s wheelchair game. 

I’ve seen Albi play, if they have a wheelchair match on that pitch I think you’re looking at a mortality rate of about 40% 😂😂😂

97A19835-A9B7-42C9-88DC-9387FC704642.jpeg

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 08/01/2022 at 07:55, Copa said:

I'd love to travel from Australia to France for this!!

I've never been to France and would love to have a drink with french rugby league fans and watch matches around the country.

Mate you should, I’ve travelled around France seeing random games and it’s always a good craic.

Probably akin to Country NSW games, community of a small town or village comes out for the afternoon - albeit with beer, sausages, frites and baignets rather than VB and a barbie 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Archived