RLWC 2025 France

33 minutes ago, Heritage XIII said:

Anybody know how much the French govt have chipped in?

This is what I really want to know. Obviously they have given some backing, because there is no way France could host it without it, but the actual amount remains to be seen. Hopefully backing involves funding to improve the infrastructure and setup of French RL like RLWC 2021.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Heritage XIII said:

Anybody know how much the French govt have chipped in?

The figure that was bandied around recently was $60 million Euros, I tried to find it on a couple of articles I had saved but it wasn`t there so I must have seen it elsewhere, I think the figure stuck in my mind because it was more than the 40 million pounds the British Gov`t. had promised., although I`m not sure how that converts.

Hope I`m not too far off and of help.

4 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

The figure that was bandied around recently was $60 million Euros, I tried to find it on a couple of articles I had saved but it wasn`t there so I must have seen it elsewhere, I think the figure stuck in my mind because it was more than the 40 million pounds the British Gov`t. had promised., although I`m not sure how that converts.

Thank you. So I've read 59 million euro is the budget & Lacoste stated 70% will come from private investment. So does that mean 30% will come from the govt, which equates to nearly 18 million euro.

Hopefully more on the govt investment can become clearer. I also imagine this would be central govt funding & extra municipal funding etc will be garnered for hosting games, training?

9 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

That was the budget though, not funding from the Government 

A nice read here:

After announcing his government’s “unreserved support” for the 2025 World Cup in France, French Prime Minister Jean Castex pointed to the Paul Barrière Trophy and declared: “The Rooster you can see on the top of the trophy is going to sing again in 2025”.

In a sign of how much things have now changed, Castex declared himself a supporter of both codes and praised the defiance of rugby league supporters in France.

French Prime Minister Jean Castex launches the 2025 World Cup©France 2025

“It was indeed in France that the idea for a Rugby League World Cup was first mooted in 1934,” Castex said.

“This did not come to fruition but even in those days the promoters and advocates of the sport were very determined and I must say that they managed to actually overcome the ban of the sport under the Vichy regime and this whole project was picked up by the president of FFRXIII, Paul Barrière, after World War II. 

“It was only in 1954 that the first Rugby League World Cup was held in France, with the final played at the Parc de Princes [in Paris]. Let’s not mention that France got beaten by England but still there were 30,000 people in the stadium … and it is high time that the World Cup came back to France.”

NRL 2022: World Cup, France, 2025, Prime Minister, Jean Castex, Luc Lacoste, Troy Grant, Trent Robinson - NRL

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

A nice read here:

After announcing his government’s “unreserved support” for the 2025 World Cup in France, French Prime Minister Jean Castex pointed to the Paul Barrière Trophy and declared: “The Rooster you can see on the top of the trophy is going to sing again in 2025”.

In a sign of how much things have now changed, Castex declared himself a supporter of both codes and praised the defiance of rugby league supporters in France.

French Prime Minister Jean Castex launches the 2025 World Cup©France 2025

“It was indeed in France that the idea for a Rugby League World Cup was first mooted in 1934,” Castex said.

“This did not come to fruition but even in those days the promoters and advocates of the sport were very determined and I must say that they managed to actually overcome the ban of the sport under the Vichy regime and this whole project was picked up by the president of FFRXIII, Paul Barrière, after World War II. 

“It was only in 1954 that the first Rugby League World Cup was held in France, with the final played at the Parc de Princes [in Paris]. Let’s not mention that France got beaten by England but still there were 30,000 people in the stadium … and it is high time that the World Cup came back to France.”

NRL 2022: World Cup, France, 2025, Prime Minister, Jean Castex, Luc Lacoste, Troy Grant, Trent Robinson - NRL

This article says there will be 50 smaller towns and cities that will host matches and training bases across all tournaments with the semis and finals in bigger cities, specifically citing Paris, Lyon, Marseilles and Toulouse. Bring on the final at the Velodrome!! 

8 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

This article says there will be 50 smaller towns and cities that will host matches and training bases across all tournaments with the semis and finals in bigger cities, specifically citing Paris, Lyon, Marseilles and Toulouse. Bring on the final at the Velodrome!! 

The only nagging worry I have about all this is that if it's one game and one game only in a seemingly random place and then we move on - is that we have to avoid repeating the disaster of the spread-too-thin RLWC in 2000.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The only nagging worry I have about all this is that if it's one game and one game only in a seemingly random place and then we move on - is that we have to avoid repeating the disaster of the spread-too-thin RLWC in 2000.

It seems they are tying this whole event in with a legacy plan, where they have specific goals (such as 40k players by 2027).  So based on that, I doubt there will be many matches 'wasted' on random places with no legacy or follow-up plan of action.  I hope so at least.

8 minutes ago, langpark said:

It seems they are tying this whole event in with a legacy plan, where they have specific goals (such as 40k players by 2027).  So based on that, I doubt there will be many matches 'wasted' on random places with no legacy or follow-up plan of action.  I hope so at least.

It's my only concern and I strongly suspect it won't happen that way but 2000 was so damaging to the sport that anything that reminds me of it causes a worry.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

46 minutes ago, langpark said:

It will also depend on what the funder (eg national and regional governments) goals are too.

Someone has hinted that the spread of venues may be to almost appease smaller towns who are not part of the Union World Cup. If so that would be almost the opposite of RLWC2021 with funding dependant on nearly everything taking place in the North.

As long as any ‘random’ places are already fully funded then it’s not a huge problem if legacy etc is focused elsewhere. I’d guess that some of the smaller towns could become centres for the Youth Games too.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Did you deliberately leave off Stade de France @The Hallucinating Goose?

I left it off because it is in Saint Denis and the list specifically lists some communes and towns which have a similar status to Saint Denis is relation to their respective bigger cities. So because those places were listed and Saint Denis wasn't but Paris was I figured the Stade de France wasn't in this initial list, I figured if it was then Saint Denis would be listed as a separate place to Paris. I only listed those stadiums which are officially located in Paris. I can't remember which ones they were off the top of my head but there were 2 or 3 places which were basically just suburbs of Bordeaux but listed separately along with Bordeaux. I would have added the Stade de France if the list wasn't so specific about the locations. As we've established though, the list isn't the finalised list so no reason Saint Denis won't be included at a later date. 

Edit. 

Yep, had a quick look. 3 examples of what I'm meaning. All close to centre of the bigger conurbations, same situation as Saint Denis. Begles in relation to Bordeaux, Blagnac to Toulouse and Massy to Paris. All attached to the main city, all basically just suburbs but listed separately. The fact there is a Paris one here as well suggests Saint Denis would also have been listed separately if the Stade de France was included in this initial list. 

Just a nice bit of detective work. I am a Cluedo regular! 😁👍

1 hour ago, theswanmcr said:

As long as any ‘random’ places are already fully funded then it’s not a huge problem if legacy etc is focused elsewhere. I’d guess that some of the smaller towns could become centres for the Youth Games too.

To me, it is a bit of a problem.  What if a man, woman, child attend a game in one of those towns, fall in love with it, and ask, so where can I sign up?  And the answer is, nearest team to you is two hours away?

All that expense seems a bit of a waste if it's like the circus, that rolls into town one day and rolls out the very next.

Anyway, it seems to be a very organised, well-funded and well thought-out bid, so I am hopeful that they have already considered these things.  Luc Lacoste very much seems focused on the long-term, which gives me great confidence not only in RLWC2025 but in French RL in general.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

To me, it is a bit of a problem.  What if a man, woman, child attend a game in one of those towns, fall in love with it, and ask, so where can I sign up?  And the answer is, nearest team to you is two hours away?

All that expense seems a bit of a waste if it's like the circus, that rolls into town one day and rolls out the very next.

Anyway, it seems to be a very organised, well-funded and well thought-out bid, so I am hopeful that they have already considered these things.  Luc Lacoste very much seems focused on the long-term, which gives me great confidence not only in RLWC2025 but in French RL in general.

Think we’re both roughly on the same page - agree it is a bit of a problem so not discounting it.

Like you say it all looks really good and promising this far out and plenty of time to find out what exactly their thoughts and plans are and the focus on legacy is really encouraging.

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It's my only concern and I strongly suspect it won't happen that way but 2000 was so damaging to the sport that anything that reminds me of it causes a worry.

The 2000 RLWC was run on a shoe string and possibly didn't get a penny of government support. 

15 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The 2000 RLWC was run on a shoe string and possibly didn't get a penny of government support. 

Its only the 2021 RLWC where I have heard of any Government support, certainly anything notable anyhow. I cant recall anything when it came to 2013, 2000 or 1995.

6 hours ago, langpark said:

Hopefully if people really enjoy what should be a cracking tournament and then are unable to attend or play locally they will then start to follow the French teams involved in the Super League on TV. With a TV deal imminent for Catalans and Toulouse hopefully this could be a real subscription driver, of course some FTA coverage would be ideal.

Either way if it added value to a  French TV deal that would be the real bonus.

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its only the 2021 RLWC where I have heard of any Government support, certainly anything notable anyhow. I cant recall anything when it came to 2013, 2000 or 1995.

Exactly, and because the UK government came good, it allowed the FFR13 to leverage the French government. Hopefully this will inspire the ARLC to get a chunk of cash from the Australian Government.

The numbers of towns and venues will incorporate the women's, wheelchair and youth RLWC - so it is not really a comparison with the 2000 RLWC that was basically 31 games scattered anywhere and everywhere with no logic attached at all. Some idiots even tried to incorporate the Maoris into an international competition. No wonder it was ridiculed. 

Just now, Scubby said:

Exactly, and because the UK government came good, it allowed the FFR13 to leverage the French government. Hopefully this will inspire the ARLC to get a chunk of cash from the Australian Government.

The numbers of towns and venues will incorporate the women's, wheelchair and youth RLWC - so it is not really a comparison with the 2000 RLWC that was basically 31 games scattered anywhere and everywhere with no logic attached at all. 

That should be the goal and we should be looking for growth with each World Cup. That is essentially what RU did/do and they now get huge sums from successful bidders that fund the international game.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

That should be the goal and we should be looking for growth with each World Cup. That is essentially what RU did/do and they now get huge sums from successful bidders that fund the international game.

Imagine if Australia and NZ actually embraced it.

We are so much further on than 2000. The French will be able to build on what worked in 2013, and what will work in 2022. Plus, they will be able to see what has worked for the Football World Cup. As I touched on above, they could adopt the tried approach taken to stages of the Tour de France of making each game an event. With other major municipalities to follow, the foundations are very strong indeed. They would also come to our game fresh and enthusiastic, without the occasionally jaded approach we saw in places like Sydney in 2017. 

Finally, one thing we all know is that, once it is marketed and people are in the ground, the games will sell themselves. 

Archived