RLWC 2025 France

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Scubby said:

Exactly, and because the UK government came good, it allowed the FFR13 to leverage the French government. Hopefully this will inspire the ARLC to get a chunk of cash from the Australian Government.

The 2017 World Cup had plenty of Government funding, it actually caused some of the controversy as matches were taken to where the organisers received the most funds versus right venue, right team.

Tonga & Samoa playing in Barlow Park in Cairns versus Auckland is an example of poor venue selection because the organisers decisions were heavily based on which government would pay for what. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

26 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

The 2017 World Cup had plenty of Government funding, it actually caused some of the controversy as matches were taken to where the organisers received the most funds versus right venue, right team.

Tonga & Samoa playing in Barlow Park in Cairns versus Auckland is an example of poor venue selection because the organisers decisions were heavily based on which government would pay for what. 

Has it ever been announced what the 2017 profit was? I know there was a bit furore at the time because promised profits weren't delivered.

3 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Those were local authorities not government.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Local authorities in Australia don`t have the money to be bidding against each other to host events.

They would have been allocated money from the State Government in order to bid for particular games.

40,000 licenses  and 190 clubs from 2026 onwards the reward. Nearly one hundred towns/cities already showing interest. Paris, Toulouse,Bordeaux and Nice from the large villes. From March onwards works starts. Expectations to be concluded by September. Anticipating 800,000 tickets to be sold. Crowds for semi/finals 30,000.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

16 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

While I agree with the example you’ve given of Tonga v Samoa in Cairns not been the best venue, on the whole, games should be taken to cities or states that are willing to stump up cash to host them. As a sport we cannot afford to look a gift horse in the mouth and turn down cold hard cash that helps make the International game profitable.

28 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

While I agree with the example you’ve given of Tonga v Samoa in Cairns not been the best venue, on the whole, games should be taken to cities or states that are willing to stump up cash to host them. As a sport we cannot afford to look a gift horse in the mouth and turn down cold hard cash that helps make the International game profitable.

I think that`s what he`s saying. The Queensland Gov`t. most likely paid the NRL to host a number of WC games ( and the Final ) in their state. The NRL accepted the money and one of those games Tonga v. Samoa was allocated to Cairns.

I suppose this is a case of do you take x-amount of dollars up-front or do you take the game elsewhere where the Gov`t may not be prepared to fork out as much and hope to make more via ticket sales, like may well what have happened in this instance if it had been played in Auckland.

One other thing, if this scenario did arise again, given the higher profile of Tonga now, they weren`t so highly regarded before the 2017 WC and the opening of the state-of-the-art 25 000 seat Queensland Country Bank Stadium in Townsville since, a game between Tonga vs. Samoa might be a completely different proposition if it were held in north Queensland now.

Something I noticed in the press release for the successful French World Cup bid.

"The competition will last five weeks in October and November 2025, with nearly a million tickets to go on sale from the end of 2023 and 100,000 hoped to travel to France from around the world."

Have they done their homework on this, the tournament may well be a success even if they get 10 000 rather than 100 000, but it strikes me as a very ambitious number for Rugby League, at present anyway.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Something I noticed in the press release for the successful French World Cup bid.

"The competition will last five weeks in October and November 2025, with nearly a million tickets to go on sale from the end of 2023 and 100,000 hoped to travel to France from around the world."

Have they done their homework on this, the tournament may well be a success even if they get 10 000 rather than 100 000, but it strikes me as a very ambitious number for Rugby League, at present anyway.

I’d say somewhere between 10,000 and 100,000 is realistic. As it’s the first World Cup France has hosted since 1972 (also the year England last won the tournament) plenty will go for the novelty factor, from both the UK and Aus/NZ. I certainly hope to, it’s  a lot closer and more affordable than travelling to Australia/New Zealand for a World Cup.

I expect a lot of Brits will watch more than one game, and so they wouldn’t need 100k visitors.

If we stayed a couple of weeks, we would look to watch as many games as we could - maybe half a dozen if we could work out the logistics. That’s 24 tickets already! The key for us, and I am sure many others, is announcing the schedule as far in advance as they can. Allez les Bleus!

I can see it being a great success off the field - it would be greatly enhanced if the french sides can be competitive...

6 hours ago, audois said:

40,000 licenses  and 190 clubs from 2026 onwards the reward. Nearly one hundred towns/cities already showing interest. Paris, Toulouse,Bordeaux and Nice from the large villes. From March onwards works starts. Expectations to be concluded by September. Anticipating 800,000 tickets to be sold. Crowds for semi/finals 30,000.

Where’s your bet for the final?

26 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

100% NOT PARIS its a graveyard for sport my 2 suggestions are Marseille or Barcelona

Paul

So the French will let the final of the French RL world cup that they paid millions of € towards go to Spain....probably not, I would say.

4 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Where’s your bet for the final?

The articles specifically mention 30k for semi finals and final. Which makes sense as it’s highly unlikely the hosts wont make it and Marseille will be too big.

So I’d bet on StadiumToulouse (33k) or an each-way chance of Allianz in Nice (36k). Audois will likely know more!

On 14/01/2022 at 07:51, Damien said:

Has it ever been announced what the 2017 profit was? I know there was a bit furore at the time because promised profits weren't delivered.

I'll see if I can find it. It was in one of the IRL annual reports, bit was drastically below what was promised (and what South Africa was offering).

On 14/01/2022 at 10:35, Scubby said:

No they weren't.  The venue deals for the RLWC were done with the Tourism & Event divisions of the Queensland, Victoria, WA, ACT and WA in Australia. 

The SCG Trust paid for the two matches at the SFS (otherwise there would have been zero matches in NSW for the Men's event).

Queensland paid the most, hence it got the Final, one Semi and a bunch of regional games. 

19 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I agree we can't afford to look a gift horse in the mouth, but for RLWC2017 we were also lazy giving the likes of the Queensland and WA governments extra matches through double headers which I feel were unnecessary, and some matches were just played in markets where fans for those teams don't exist which always meant that the matches were going to struggle to draw crowds.

Northern Queensland has strong Irish & Italian roots, not Tongan or Samoan. Even if they took one of the Tonga or Samoa matches to Sydney or Auckland, they would have drawn 12K+ easily whilst Ireland v Italy still would have drawn 9K at Barlow.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

21 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

I'll see if I can find it. It was in one of the IRL annual reports, bit was drastically below what was promised (and what South Africa was offering).

No they weren't.  The venue deals for the RLWC were done with the Tourism & Event divisions of the Queensland, Victoria, WA, ACT and WA in Australia. 

The SCG Trust paid for the two matches at the SFS (otherwise there would have been zero matches in NSW for the Men's event).

Queensland paid the most, hence it got the Final, one Semi and a bunch of regional games. 

I agree we can't afford to look a gift horse in the mouth, but for RLWC2017 we were also lazy giving the likes of the Queensland and WA governments extra matches through double headers which I feel were unnecessary, and some matches were just played in markets where fans for those teams don't exist which always meant that the matches were going to struggle to draw crowds.

Northern Queensland has strong Irish & Italian roots, not Tongan or Samoan. Even if they took one of the Tonga or Samoa matches to Sydney or Auckland, they would have drawn 12K+ easily whilst Ireland v Italy still would have drawn 9K at Barlow.

That's like saying London and Yorkshire are governments and not local. State support is local support to ensure the local area (e.g. Queensland or ACT) benefits. It is not government support.

On 12/01/2022 at 13:48, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I left it off because it is in Saint Denis and the list specifically lists some communes and towns which have a similar status to Saint Denis is relation to their respective bigger cities. So because those places were listed and Saint Denis wasn't but Paris was I figured the Stade de France wasn't in this initial list, I figured if it was then Saint Denis would be listed as a separate place to Paris. I only listed those stadiums which are officially located in Paris. I can't remember which ones they were off the top of my head but there were 2 or 3 places which were basically just suburbs of Bordeaux but listed separately along with Bordeaux. I would have added the Stade de France if the list wasn't so specific about the locations. As we've established though, the list isn't the finalised list so no reason Saint Denis won't be included at a later date. 

Edit. 

Yep, had a quick look. 3 examples of what I'm meaning. All close to centre of the bigger conurbations, same situation as Saint Denis. Begles in relation to Bordeaux, Blagnac to Toulouse and Massy to Paris. All attached to the main city, all basically just suburbs but listed separately. The fact there is a Paris one here as well suggests Saint Denis would also have been listed separately if the Stade de France was included in this initial list. 

Just a nice bit of detective work. I am a Cluedo regular! 😁👍

For the Euros Stade de France had St Denis as its halfway line location board, as opposed to Paris. So that fits too

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

That's like saying London and Yorkshire are governments and not local. State support is local support to ensure the local area (e.g. Queensland or ACT) benefits. It is not government support.

This is odd semantics. Local governments are, by definition, governments. Most local government structures derive most of their funding from the central government too, so the money’s ultimately the same stuff. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

The Stade Municipal in Toulouse would I imagine be looked  at. The 1954 WC semi final there  pulled the biggest crowd  in the games history 37,471. That I think included  standing at that time. The recent up grade 2016 saw the capacity down to 33,150 - all seating.If they filled it without French involvement it would be a major feat I reckon.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived