Pre-Season Warm Up. Featherstone Rovers v Leeds. Sunday 16th January 2022.

marklaspalmas

Bit early for the match thread I know, but I can't wait for us to get going again.

Our 25 man squad has nine new players and, given the way of the world today, some of the opposition players will probably play for Fev in 2022.

Post your pre-game speculation, live match comments, and post-match cheers/moans & groans here.

22 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Bit early for the match thread I know, but I can't wait for us to get going again.

Our 25 man squad has nine new players and, given the way of the world today, some of the opposition players will probably play for Fev in 2022.

Post your pre-game speculation, live match comments, and post-match cheers/moans & groans here.

Good crowd, some visitors from Leeds,  Good comments, Cheers as we win, and groans from Leeds fans. Have ticket. 

26 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Good crowd. Going.  Good team Fev. Recruits Leeds

If the last few years are anything to go by, we can expect to see a Leeds team which includes a large dose of the fringe players from their squad numbers of around 21 to 32...so as well as the three mentioned as DR possibles for us (Broadbent, Walters and Edwards) we'll presumably see the Bradford-bound Mustapha, O'Connor and Johnson, plus the likes of Morgan Gannon, Liam Tindall, Oli Field, Max Simpson etc.

Whether they are supported by a number of the more experienced first-team squad, or by a bunch of their academy lads, remains to be seen. If it's the former, it should be a tough game, if the latter we should pull away comfortably as the game goes on, as most of our fringe players are relatively experienced in first grade. I don't know if Leeds are actually carrying many "reserves" beyong their squad numbers or whether they're straight into the 17/18yos from the Academy after that.

From what we've been told about Leilua's arrival date he might be here by next weekend but either way it seems unlikely we'll see him in action. Would imagine cameos for the veterans such as Kopczak, Lockwood, Moors, Ferres so I'd expect to see plenty of McConnell, Field, Cooper, Trout, Gill, Doyle and any others who might not be guaranteed places in the starting 17.

On 09/01/2022 at 19:29, The Phantom Horseman said:

Whether they are supported by a number of the more experienced first-team squad, or by a bunch of their academy lads, remains to be seen. If it's the former, it should be a tough game, if the latter we should pull away comfortably as the game goes on, as most of our fringe players are relatively experienced in first grade.

Well, it's looking like Leeds might be bringing a stronger team than I anticipated, Aidan Sezer was interviewed today and said he was anticipating playing (at least some portion of the game) on Sunday. If so that probably means they are going to play plenty of their starters, at least in the early stages, as it wouldn't make much sense to be playing their starting half back(s) if not alongside the guys who they expect to be linking with.

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I think the only time in the six years of this fixture or so that Leeds have played a large contingent of their first-teamers in  came in the first year 2016, when they beat us 24-0 on a very cold night. The games when Leeds have played their fringe players have tended to be fairly close with just a few points in it either way, whereas on the odd occasion when we have played them in the Challenge Cup or Middle 8s they have mullered us.

So this is likely to be a massive test, against a good full-time SL team who have already played one pre-season game. Might even tell us a bit more than the usual pre-season game, who knows.

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think the only time in the six years of this fixture or so that Leeds have played a large contingent of their first-teamers in  came in the first year 2016, when they beat us 24-0 on a very cold night. The games when Leeds have played their fringe players have tended to be fairly close with just a few points in it either way, whereas on the odd occasion when we have played them in the Challenge Cup or Middle 8s they have mullered us.

So this is likely to be a massive test, against a good full-time SL team who have already played one pre-season game. Might even tell us a bit more than the usual pre-season game, who knows.

Didn't they once beat us 66-0 in a pre-season game at Headingley?

20 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep, Rob Burrow's testimonial in 2012.

The year Leeds played their first-teamers against us was 2017 not 2016 as I had stated above, we had beaten another youthful Leeds team in 2016.

Full list (recent)

24 January 2020 H Featherstone Rovers 34 Leeds Rhinos 22 W
27 January 2019 H Featherstone Rovers 28 Leeds Rhinos 32 L
26 January 2018 H Featherstone Rovers 18 Leeds Rhinos 16 W
27 January 2017 H Featherstone Rovers 0 Leeds Rhinos 24 L
31 January 2016 H Featherstone Rovers 32 Leeds Rhinos 16 W
20 January 2012 A Leeds Rhinos 66 Featherstone Rovers 0 L
23 January 2011 H Featherstone Rovers 40 Leeds Rhinos 18 W
6 January 2008 H Featherstone Rovers 20 Leeds Rhinos 42 L
21 January 2007 H Featherstone Rovers 10 Leeds Rhinos 30 L

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm at this game with wife and kid (we are fortuitously up north this weekend)

Need a family friendly pub recommendation please....ideally walking or short distance from ground for food. 

Also buying tickets on website....are kids classed as concessions or are they free ?(no kids option on the site)

If you want a nice pub try the featherstone hotel locals call it the top house about 500yds from ground and pete the owner will make you welcome

2 hours ago, plug said:

If you want a nice pub try the featherstone hotel locals call it the top house about 500yds from ground and pete the owner will make you welcome

Probably worth noting if you can't get in at the ground, parking within a few hundred yds of there is generally unproblematic. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

3 hours ago, plug said:

Sunday lunch is  very nice but you have to book,there's plenty of parking along the road not far the Fev Hotel and a 5 to 10 minutes walk to ground.

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm at this game with wife and kid (we are fortuitously up north this weekend)

Need a family friendly pub recommendation please....ideally walking or short distance from ground for food. 

Also buying tickets on website....are kids classed as concessions or are they free ?(no kids option on the site)

BB,

Do you want food before or after the game (just trying to square that with you arriving at 2.45)? 

If it is before the game the Featherstone Hotel (Top House)  would be the best place to go, but be aware that I would recommend getting there early (it is not unusual for them to run out of Sunday roasts).

If it is after the game then I'd recommend the Shuhag Indian restaurant.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

16 hours ago, The Grinder said:

BB,

Do you want food before or after the game (just trying to square that with you arriving at 2.45)? 

If it is before the game the Featherstone Hotel (Top House)  would be the best place to go, but be aware that I would recommend getting there early (it is not unusual for them to run out of Sunday roasts).

If it is after the game then I'd recommend the Shuhag Indian restaurant.

Yeah we'll be there before so I think the hotel nice and early will be good. I have drank there years ago at Broncos away games but I'll take the recommendation for it as a family food place cheers!

Not been to Fev for years so looking forward to it especially as Rhinos putting Sezer and Austin out too

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yeah we'll be there before so I think the hotel nice and early will be good. I have drank there years ago at Broncos away games but I'll take the recommendation for it as a family food place cheers!

Not been to Fev for years so looking forward to it especially as Rhinos putting Sezer and Austin out too

Here you go BB

http://featherstonehotel.com/restaurant/

6 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

By the way the Fev Hotel as a car park.

On 13/01/2022 at 10:20, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If you've not been there for years you will get a surprise at the big changes to the stadium and it was largely achieved and built by volunteers! They were known as the 'Stand Gang'.

Leeds have named their squad. In many ways that's more interesting than ours will be as presumably with no limits to numbers we'll name most of our squad.

Leeds' squad is very strong, it won't quite be their full first team that starts but will feature most of them, and the replacements are full of quality younger players most of whom already have SL experience. It's going to be a really tough test for us.

3. Harry Newman

6. Blake Austin

7. Aidan Sezer

8. Mikolaj Oledzki

9. Kruise Leeming

12. Rhyse Martin

13. Zane Tetevano

14. Brad Dwyer

15. Alex Mellor

16. Richie Myler

17. Cameron Smith

18. Thomas Holroyd

19. Bodene Thompson

20. Tom Briscoe

21. Morgan Gannon

22. Sam Walters

23. Jack Broadbent

24. Jarrod O’Connor

27. Muizz Mustapha

28. Max Simpson

29. Liam Tindall

30. Levi Edwards

31. Oli Field

32. Jack Sinfield

MacKenzie Turner

Fev squad news:
https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/squad-news-mcdermott-names-his-first-featherstone-squad-KSuy5/

Brandon Pickersgill and Jacob Doyle "rested as a precaution" because of minor knocks, everyone else you'd expect is playing by the sound of it. Leilua "will join up with the squad later this month as he brings his family over to the UK from Australia."

Interesting to see if we can be competitive against a strong SL team.

Archived