West Wales Raiders - laughing stock

8 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I'm starting to think we shouldn't be using expansion clubs as a term, especially when all 'expansion' clubs all get lumped in together. In reality there is no expansion clubs, they don't receive any additional support or dispensation. 

It’s purely geographical. The last true expansion sides were Catalans and Toulouse (the first time they joined the British game). The rest are lumped in with everyone else. 

1 hour ago, NW10LDN said:

That Coventry rebrand won't work out. The Midlands is a big place. They also seem to be playing at a small rugby union club pitch with a possible move to a larger system. I would say it is better for the likes of Nottingham or Sherwood to link up with one of the big Super League or Championship clubs instead of the Hurricanes.

That Coventry rebrand won't work out.

The Midlands is a big place....THATS THE POINT

They also seem to be playing at a small rugby union club pitch with a possible move to a larger system. ....ITS AN ITERIM MOVE AS THE BPA WAS NOT AN OPTION. AN ALTERNATIVE HAD TO BE FOUND FOR 2022.  THE PLAN FOR 2023 IS FOR A NEW LOCATION WITH TOP CLASS FACILITIES A CHANCE TO GENERATE SOME INCOME. 

I would say it is better for the likes of Nottingham or Sherwood to link up with one of the big Super League or Championship clubs instead of the Hurricanes. .....HOW WOULD IT BE BETTER IF NEITHER NOTTINGHAM OR SHERWOOD HAVE NOT SHOWN ANY INTEREST IN STEPPING UP OR "LINKING" WITH ANY SUPERLEAGUE CLUB.

-------‐-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course they may be interesting in your idea especially if you tell them that you are prepared to find the finance and to do the work. I know the people involved at the two clubs, would you like me to tell them that  you are prepared to do so?

1 hour ago, NW10LDN said:

• Like 5

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

12 minutes ago, Bearman said:

They also seem to be playing at a small rugby union club pitch with a possible move to a larger system. ....ITS AN ITERIM MOVE AS THE BPA WAS NOT AN OPTION. AN ALTERNATIVE HAD TO BE FOUND FOR 2022.  THE PLAN FOR 2023 IS FOR A NEW LOCATION WITH TOP CLASS FACILITIES A CHANCE TO GENERATE SOME INCOME. 

I would say it is better for the likes of Nottingham or Sherwood to link up with one of the big Super League or Championship clubs instead of the Hurricanes. .....HOW WOULD IT BE BETTER IF NEITHER NOTTINGHAM OR SHERWOOD HAVE NOT SHOWN ANY INTEREST IN STEPPING UP OR "LINKING" WITH ANY SUPERLEAGUE CLUB.

Of course they may be interesting in your idea especially if you tell them that you are prepared to find the finance and to do the work. I know the people involved at the two clubs, would you like me to tell them that  you are prepared to do so?

Well said @Bearman ...amazing how many so called ' experts ' there have suddenly become on  L1 RL expansion lately   most of which, I'll stake my weekly beer money on , will have never even attended a L1 fixture let alone one at Cov /Midlands, West Wales or Skolars......

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Hit a nerve there. The Midlands is too big for one club to represent it. So your planning on moving to a new stadium but no confirmation yet. Nothing I said was wrong then. It's better for those clubs to align with a SL club which is in a much better position to help out. 

2 minutes ago, Rach said:

Well said @Bearman ...amazing how many so called ' experts ' there have suddenly become on  L1 RL expansion lately   most of which, I'll stake my weekly beer money on , will have never even attended a L1 fixture let alone one at Cov /Midlands, West Wales or Skolars......

So 99% of the country then. 

10 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Hit a nerve there. The Midlands is too big for one club to represent it. So your planning on moving to a new stadium but no confirmation yet. Nothing I said was wrong then. It's better for those clubs to align with a SL club which is in a much better position to help out. 

You could have been humble, you could have apologised, but no you doubled down. I know it gives you a little buzz inside to think you may have annoyed someone but maybe it's time to grow up. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Your not planning to help them with your brilliant idea then?

I am sure they would  be delighted if you are offering to stump up the £250,000 bond and the minimum £100,000 pa? ( that's to play not complete).

The offer of helping you to get involved with them still stands.

Edited by Bearman
Sp
  • Like 2

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

You could have been humble, you could have apologised, but no you doubled down. I know it gives you a little buzz inside to think you may have annoyed someone but maybe it's time to grow up. 

Nothing to apologise for.

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

Your not planning to help them with your brilliant idea then?

I am sure they would  be delighted if you are offering to stump up the £250,000 bond and the minimum £100,000 pa? ( that's to play not complete).

The offer of helping you to get involved with them still stands.

That's just a pathetic response.

4 hours ago, Jughead said:

It’s purely geographical. The last true expansion sides were Catalans and Toulouse (the first time they joined the British game). The rest are lumped in with everyone else. 

Neither of those teams were expansion, RL was long established in both places. 

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Neither of those teams were expansion, RL was long established in both places. 

They were expansion sides. It was the second and third attempts at expanding the competitions to include European sides and this required different treatment to most sides and so they were treated as such. 

21 hours ago, Rach said:

There's no need to have a go like that. I've attended a number of Skolars games up here in t'north but so what?

The fact is that these clubs are not making any progress towards becoming competitive, and the ones that still survive  expand nothing but travel distances/costs. Their struggles are sadly worsening. I of course wish it was not so.

Will they get any money from the next SKY deal?? I've read this:-

"Under this proposed deal, the 25 second and third tier semi-professional clubs could receive little to no TV broadcast income from Sky from 2022 onwards. One club told i that if their funding is slashed by such a large figure that it could kill off many lower league clubs completely".

Are the Skolars recruiting yet??  Give us your expertise??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve oates said:

There's no need to have a go like that. I've attended a number of Skolars games up here in t'north but so what?

Why not ? It's not just this particular thread but those recently pertaining to the Hurricanes relaunch , Cornwall and League 1 funding where some of the downright negativity and quite frankly ignorance shown by some contributors towards followers of some of the games smaller clubs has been horrendous .......   

26 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Wouldn't know not mate not my club .... but I'm sure there are Skolars fans on here who would know, but probably wont post anything positive about their club to be shot down by the negative keyboard warriors ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steve oates said:

The fact is that these clubs are not making any progress towards becoming competitive, and the ones that still survive  expand nothing but travel distances/costs. Their struggles are sadly worsening. I of course wish it was not so.

Will they get any money from the next SKY deal?? I've read this:-

"Under this proposed deal, the 25 second and third tier semi-professional clubs could receive little to no TV broadcast income from Sky from 2022 onwards. One club told i that if their funding is slashed by such a large figure that it could kill off many lower league clubs completely".

Are you by any chance one of the people who believe that " Rugby League" and "the Super League" are synonyms?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2022 at 19:27, NW10LDN said:

Seems to work for Catalans- branding and identity covers a massive area over 2 countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLNew said:

Hearing West Wales have given up the game against Swinton in the cup? Anyone heard anything? 

Struggling for numbers and coaching staff left already are the rumours down here 

They’re yet to appoint a head coach so that would be some going if true.

Just now, welshmagpie said:

They’re yet to appoint a head coach so that would be some going if true.

They’re heavily promoting their charity kit on social media for the Swinton game. That says to me they’re confident of it going ahead with no issue. 

However, to date they have only announced 10 players. 

Is Gavin Henson due back for a second appearance? 

• Haha 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

He was in a car pool with Chase for training so is still waiting to be picked up.

Could have been a real bit of publicity, a crowd draw and a big talent at that level for a couple of years. No idea where the fail falls between the club and the individual, but had he linked up with NW Crusaders, I wonder if he'd have managed something near a season with the benefit of far more publicity for the club and wider game. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

7 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Could have been a real bit of publicity, a crowd draw and a big talent at that level for a couple of years. No idea where the fail falls between the club and the individual, but had he linked up with NW Crusaders, I wonder if he'd have managed something near a season with the benefit of far more publicity for the club and wider game. 

I don't imagine Crusaders would have been interested. I doubt Henson would get in their first team squad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Seems to work for Catalans- branding and identity covers a massive area over 2 countries.

The difference is people from the Catalonia region use the name and region to identify themselves and are immensely proud of it, it’s similar to the states of Queensland or New South Wales. We don’t have that same affinity here with a wider geographical area (other than with Wales and Scotland), we only have it with the town or city we are from.

The region have been trying to form an independent country and the French there see Barcelona as their capital https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20444110