West Wales Raiders - laughing stock

36 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Was having a think about this earlier…

A well-run and ambitious West (ideally South) Wales team had the perfect opportunity to lure back the following this season:

- Ben Flower (player-coach role)

- Curtis Davies (ended up in France)

- Connor Davies (see above)

- Sion Jones (released by Halifax, back in RU)

- Kieran Lewis (still in France)

- Will Evans (maybe ambitious but is Welsh and has signed for Whitehaven)

Exactly the sort of targets they should be after. They should be using the Welsh RL as a guide. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

They had Rangi Chase last year - not that he lasted long.

Raiders are flush with cash because of their ground situation - they own it (their owners do) and all adjacent revenue streams I.e the bar and hospitality. 

@DEANO

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Like 2

For an open letter that starts “my intentions of this letter aren’t to destroy you…” there’s plenty of bits within the remainder of the letter that could be taken personally and deemed attempts at destruction. 

That said, the contents, while not necessarily agreeing with the authors choice of language, I can understand the reasoning behind feeling failed as a fan. The lack of a coach, the merchandise, the social media output and website are all points that have been raised numerous times when speaking of West Wales so I don’t disagree with attempting to raise these points with the club. 

Was the letter a result of any form of consultation between Welsh/West Wales fans or just a one man crusade?

44 minutes ago, Jughead said:

, I can understand the reasoning behind feeling failed as a fan. The lack of a coach, the merchandise, the social media output and website are all points that have been raised numerous times when speaking of West Wales so I don’t disagree with attempting to raise these points with the club. 

Was the letter a result of any form of consultation between Welsh/West Wales fans or just a one man crusade?

As a regular supporter of the Raiders I endorse these views.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That letter looks like the passionate support for rugby league that heartlands supporters,ignorantly,only thinks exists in the so-called heartlands.

Soooo rugby league to destroy that passion.

The governing body really should pay attention when the players look elsewhere.

Still,apathy rules ok.

After all the governing body accepts the owners that have plagued the sport ANDthey are not in existence to micro- manage the clubs.

I wonder if the letter writer will still be attending games,this year.

Other League 1 clubs would welcome additional support.

So,it seems coaches ignored, supporters dissatisfied,players leaving.

More ammunition to cut the funding to League 1.

Good Oh.Yet it all goes back to the governing body.

Ever decreasing circles...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

That letter looks like the passionate support for rugby league that heartlands supporters,ignorantly,only thinks exists in the so-called heartlands.

Soooo rugby league to destroy that passion.

The governing body really should pay attention when the players look elsewhere.

Still,apathy rules ok.

After all the governing body accepts the owners that have plagued the sport ANDthey are not in existence to micro- manage the clubs.

I wonder if the letter writer will still be attending games,this year.

Other League 1 clubs would welcome additional support.

So,it seems coaches ignored, supporters dissatisfied,players leaving.

More ammunition to cut the funding to League 1.

Good Oh.Yet it all goes back to the governing body.

Ever decreasing circles...

I think this is part of the issue. There are a lot of people who want the Raiders to do well including people involved with other league 1 clubs. When a club seems to be a shambles and unprofessional it rubs off on everyone. All the great work that many people do gets tarnished because all people talk about is big scores, one sided games etc. when in fact the overall standard in league 1 is probably the best it's ever been. 

• Like 2

On 30/01/2022 at 21:01, del capo said:

Oldham have just got bumped out of the Cup by a bunch  of amateurs.................

A "bunch of amateurs" who probably at least hold training sessions. Unlike this club which people keep insisting are "semi pro" despite them acting more like a pub side. 

• Like 2

I cannot fault much of what he has said in that letter. 90% of what he says is literally common sense stuff, which sadly, seems to escape those running WWR. 

I have grave fears for League One this year. I worry that between Raiders, Cornwall and Skolars, this league will be littered with forfeits and/or blowout scorelines. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Ok. Explain why they’re not competitive then

This season the reason will be no coaching staff; lack of players and lack of training.

In the past,apparently,the owners appointed the wrong coaches - as stated on their Twitter account.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

The problem all expansion clubs face is the same - where do you get players from to be competitive? Until that’s addressed whether you’re WWR, Skolars, Hemel, Cornwall, Oxford, All Golds, Midlands you will struggle. Skolars are well run but we where do we get the players from to compete in L1 (not excusing the poor way WWR seem to have been run, but this is the core issue)?

Being able to pay good salaries isn’t enough, you’ve got to support players to live in non heartland areas.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

The problem all expansion clubs face is the same - where do you get players from to be competitive? Until that’s addressed whether you’re WWR, Skolars, Hemel, Cornwall, Oxford, All Golds, Midlands you will struggle. Skolars are well run but we where do we get the players from to compete in L1 (not excusing the poor way WWR seem to have been run, but this is the core issue)?

Being able to pay good salaries isn’t enough, you’ve got to support players to live in non heartland areas.

Well the obvious answer, is to double the number of amateur clubs, then when you've done that, double it again....oh and then......... We seem to be trying to run, before we can walk. Where else, should we expect, the players to come from?