West Wales Raiders - laughing stock

1 hour ago, Plan of Attack said:

Cumbria is not a REAL county it was formed in 1974 by a stupid civil servant, Barrow, Workington and Whitehaven were formed a lot earlier

My most deep, humble and sincere apologies, I should have said Cumberland, but my question still stands. 

Just sat down to watch the York Newcastle Challenge Cup Game and commentary team gushing pre match about both teams progress and potential for Super League inclusion... 

As a follower of the lower semi pro leagues it seems not long since both teams were struggling at the base of league, conceding big points and the easy win for the opposition. 

Amazing how those currently slating the 'expansion' clubs and questioning their existence have such short memories... 

Just saying like.... 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Rach said:

Just sat down to watch the York Newcastle Challenge Cup Game and commentary team gushing pre match about both teams progress and potential for Super League inclusion... 

As a follower of the lower semi pro leagues it seems not long since both teams were struggling at the base of league, conceding big points and the easy win for the opposition. 

Amazing how those currently slating the 'expansion' clubs and questioning their existence have such short memories... 

Just saying like.... 

A few of comments about the match (two, for Dennis Betts and one for the game as a whole). - First, the full time team were outmuscled, which was a surprise and a disappointment (to me).

Second, the error count (mainly amongst the Thunder players) was far too high for a pro team, this compounded by some poor quality decision making.

Third, (not that the players were to blame) but the stoppage time for injuries was/is a real passion killer.

I just don't know why they can't stretcher the injured off the field, for treatment on the sidelines, so that the game can continue (unless the judgement is that moving them prone, on a stretcher could be injurious).

I understand the desire to project the idea that rugby league cares but I almost turned off (changed channels).

If a self confessed RL nut like me, is tempted to switch channels, then precious newcomers, would probably be leaving in droves. 

Edited by fighting irish

34 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

A few of comments about the match (two, for Dennis Betts and one for the game as a whole). - First, the full time team were outmuscled, which was a surprise and a disappointment (to me).

Second, the error count (mainly amongst the Thunder players) was far too high for a pro team, this compounded by some poor quality decision making.

Third, (not that the players were to blame) but the stoppage time for injuries was/is a real passion killer.

I just don't know why they can't stretcher the injured off the field, for treatment on the sidelines, so that the game can continue (unless the judgement is that moving them prone, on a stretcher could be injurious).

I understand the desire to project the idea that rugby league cares but I almost turned off (changed channels).

If a self confessed RL nut like me, is tempted to switch channels, then precious newcomers, would probably be leaving in droves. 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36143/rfl-board-approves-laws-changes-for-2022

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rfl-green-card-introduced/

It would never happen at West Wales.

• Haha 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

50 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

The lad's foot was facing the wrong way. Jesus Christ man have some compassion, or at the very least some common sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

The lad's foot was facing the wrong way. Jesus Christ man have some compassion, or at the very least some common sense.

Look, it was a passion killer. That's the important thing. Not the health of the piece of meat.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

One of the worst injuries I’ve seen on a rugby pitch that, absolutely no way they could have just stretchered him off and treated him on the sidelines so the game could carry on. It was really quite upsetting to see how much pain the lad was in, fingers crossed for a quick and full recovery. 

• Like 3

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

First, the full time team were outmuscled, which was a surprise and a disappointment (to me).

Good spot.

Like you, I find this incredibly disappointing. It does not reflect well at all on the professional team, and particularly the Strength & Conditioning afforded to elite athletes within our sport. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rach said:

Just saying like.... 

Night York and Newcastle have had good and bad times and will again that’s the nature of sport. However ww only know bad times and aren’t run as well as amateur set ups. Just saying like

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

I must confess, I didn't see that the poor chaps foot was facing the wrong way. I am not without compassion, I was just unaware of the severity of the injury.  

May I refer you to my original post where I qualify my comment about removing the injured player to the sidelines (for treatment) unless to do so would be further injurious to the player in question.

I'm sure the people marshalling the treatment of said player were doing what they could to ensure the injured limb was protected/immobilised before trying to move him.

I think I made it quite clear that that was my preference.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Look, it was a passion killer. That's the important thing. Not the health of the piece of meat.

I can't recall, what I've said (in the past) to put you into such a tizzy, that you feel justified in ignoring the full context of my comments and cherry picking a single phrase (not even a complete sentence) in an attempt to vilify me.

What ever it was, get over it. Stop behaving like a spoilt child.

What on earth makes you think, I am unconcerned for the players health? 

My advice to you, is that you go back and re-read the whole post, you buffoon.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, langpark said:

They have just announced a guy named Ashley Bateman as head coach. Anyone know anything about him? Is he any good? 

He’s 33, has played for them for the last couple of years. No coaching experience mentioned on Wikipedia though of course that’s not to say he hasn’t any. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, langpark said:

They have just announced a guy named Ashley Bateman as head coach. Anyone know anything about him? Is he any good? 

Ash has been involved in rugby league down here for a very-long time. I think he made 1 or 2 Super League appearances at a very young age. He’s long been part of the ‘leadership group’ in recent years and has likely had a say in many sessions under Phil Carlton, Kim Williams and Aaron Wood. 

He’s a rookie to leading it however and it will be a steep learning curve for him.

Heres the positive… he knows every rugby league player down here, disillusioned or not, he also knows a fair few union boys and has doubled the numbers at training because of his connections. These boys will play for Ash.

P.S He’s Allan Bateman’s son I believe 

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Ash Bateman is a very good player, likeable and a leader on the pitch. Having him involved in the coaching side is a very good move for the reasons outlined by Welsh Magpie. May be a steep learning curve to go straight in at head coach though. I guess it will depend on who he gets in around him 

Edited by OriginalMrC
  • Like 2

On 26/02/2022 at 00:12, Eddie said:

My most deep, humble and sincere apologies, I should have said Cumberland, but my question still stands. 

Can't get more "original heartland" than the oldest club 😉

"Millom R.L.F.C. is an amateur rugby league club based in the town of Millom in Cumbria. It is the oldest amateur rugby league club in the world, having been founded in 1873."

12 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Ash Bateman is a very good player, likeable and a leader on the pitch. Having him involved in the coaching side is a very good move for the reasons outlined by Welsh Magpie. May be a steep learning curve to go straight in at head coach though. I guess it will depend on who he gets in around him 

Didn't he have a drugs ban a while ago?