West Wales Raiders - laughing stock

On 28/02/2022 at 20:20, welshmagpie said:

Ash has been involved in rugby league down here for a very-long time. I think he made 1 or 2 Super League appearances at a very young age. He’s long been part of the ‘leadership group’ in recent years and has likely had a say in many sessions under Phil Carlton, Kim Williams and Aaron Wood. 

He’s a rookie to leading it however and it will be a steep learning curve for him.

Heres the positive… he knows every rugby league player down here, disillusioned or not, he also knows a fair few union boys and has doubled the numbers at training because of his connections. These boys will play for Ash.

P.S He’s Allan Bateman’s son I believe 

On that last point - he isn’t.

9 hours ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

On that last point - he isn’t.

Thanks PBC. All those years ago I’m sure the Crusaders used to say he was in press releases but alas I’ll take your word.

Whilst we’re at it he used to play under the name Ashley Griffiths before switching to Bateman.

He did well to beat off the competition from Australia,Fiji,Serbia and the UK.

He also has to manage without the 3 assistant coaches that were going to be part of an experienced coaching team.

Good luck to him.

• Haha 2

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Ash is a good appointment for the club, probably the best they have made in their history in all fairness. He's come through the local pathways, has the knowledge and connections with local amateur clubs like ours, he knows the club well from the Crusaders days all the way through to now, and there's no travel/cost issues/unrealistic expectations placed on him. He really can't do any worse than anyone else whose gone before him in Llanelli. 

• Like 2

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

Point is there are more replies on this thread than there are spectators

Very true. 

I actually only stick my head into this thread to see what ridiculous stuff they have done this time. They are like a pub side! 

Edited by TheFlash

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, theswanmcr said:

Never seen a professional rugby league club give the team news with the emphasis on first names before 🙄 #pubteam

9A8A5FE1-3585-4BED-93F3-AE1EA89BE6B9.jpeg

And you still haven't.

Badum-tisch.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I had the pleasure of watching West Wales Swinton yesterday. Sadly, they were mules off it in terms of fitness, size and all-round guile. The latter can be expected but the two-former come with a good, quality pre-season which they sadly haven’t had due to the owners sitting on their hands and letting coaches walk away. 

Ash has his work cut out.

I think we all expected that result. Realistically that's the hardest game of the season out of the way for WW, they can use the lessons from it and build from there. Defensive line needs to move up consistently and cut out the silly errors. Cornwall or Midlands aren't going to play that well so let's target those games. 

Edited by sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Like 3

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

12 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I had the pleasure of watching West Wales Swinton yesterday. Sadly, they were mules off it in terms of fitness, size and all-round guile. 

Some real donkey work needed to get them up to speed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well worth watching the highlights of the Swinton game, just to see the try finished by Rhodri Lloyd, which involved half a dozen offloads out of a tackle and a crossfield kick.

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

Quite something that for Millom…given the game wasnt started until 1895. Just wondering who they played rugby league against in 1873.

Everyone played union until they changed the rules way past 1895...