West Wales Raiders - laughing stock

Having attended the game on Sunday, they worked really hard until the final minute when they scored a well deserved try.

However it did look a bit like us against some of the full time teams last year, they got 3 injuries against a bigger stronger team. Fitness wasnt great with a few players looking way overweight,  they need to work on the structure and completion rates. They lost the ball on the first tackle a number of times, and that of course meant fatigue played a part later in the game. Spoke to a couple of their fans who said they consider the youngsters coming through to be a good standard and they are only a couple of years away from being a competitive team which is encourgaing if true

• Like 5

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Having attended the game on Sunday, they worked really hard until the final minute when they scored a well deserved try.

However it did look a bit like us against some of the full time teams last year, they got 3 injuries against a bigger stronger team. Fitness wasnt great with a few players looking way overweight,  they need to work on the structure and completion rates. They lost the ball on the first tackle a number of times, and that of course meant fatigue played a part later in the game. Spoke to a couple of their fans who said they consider the youngsters coming through to be a good standard and they are only a couple of years away from being a competitive team which is encourgaing if true

Yes people can forget that Toulouse whacked Widnes 70-0 on that very ground just 12 months ago.

• Like 2

On 29/03/2022 at 11:53, Mark said:

Good to see a moderately positive opinion on the team. There's loads of work to be done but the fact that heads didn't drop was a positive from the game.

Fwiw, my son played his debut for them against Swinton. He was the one who came off after being knocked out just before half-time. He clashed heads with another WWR player in a tackle and got concussed. He'll  is raring to get over his concussion and back to it.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iamguyster said:

Good to see a moderately positive opinion on the team. There's loads of work to be done but the fact that heads didn't drop was a positive from the game.

Fwiw, my son played his debut for them against Swinton. He was the one who came off after being knocked out just before half-time. He clashed heads with another WWR player in a tackle and got concussed. He'll  is raring to get over his concussion and back to it.

My guess is they will give loads of players a chance this year and may find one or two gems in there. Good luck to your son hope he is back playing soon.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

My guess is they will give loads of players a chance this year and may find one or two gems in there. Good luck to your son hope he is back playing soon.

Haven’t they been doing that for their entire existence. Hope the lads ok

• Like 2

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

55 minutes ago, Scubby said:

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

Haven’t they been doing that for their entire existence. Hope the lads ok

Cheers both. I'm sure he will be fine. Probably out for about three weeks. He gave up his trial at Workington to move to Llanelli as he just wanted to play every game he could, so he will give it everything he has in every match. No point moving that far across the country to ###### around eh 😂

You have to feel for the other prop. Completely knackered his knee in literally the first run of the game. He's a solid unit as well. Just sheer bad luck for the both of them tbf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Good effort today from WWR.

Certainly for the first 40”.  Also (from Twitter) it appeared that Hornets were still on the coach for the first-half! 
Two of WWR were sent off on 80mins….after a “flare-up”.  Perhaps a quick getaway from Llanelli for the Nets…?

On 28/03/2022 at 22:01, yipyee said:

Everyone played union until they changed the rules way past 1895...

Nope. Everyone played rugby, it’s a shared heritage and as much ‘ours’ as it is Rugby Unions.

Both games were the same in 1895 at and right after the split, and both have radically evolved their rules since then. The Union sport we say today is not the sport played in 1894, any more than League is. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

7 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Nope. Everyone played rugby, it’s a shared heritage and as much ‘ours’ as it is Rugby Unions.

Both games were the same in 1895 at and right after the split, and both have radically evolved their rules since then. The Union sport we say today is not the sport played in 1894, any more than League is. 

Thats beside my point but all factually correct

• Like 1

12-52, slightly dissappointed as Rochdale were one of the weaker sides last year, the corresponding 2021 fixture the Hornets only winning by 12 points and 40-16 away, but as previously mentioned injuries and fitness will take a toll. On to the next one. I see North Wales beat Cornwall by 40 in their first game, yet the Choughs still managed 4 tries.. 

• Like 1

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

25 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Heavy loss today 100-4

By my team. But I am not exactly having a party. They will have a score like this against them again. Not acceptable.

• Like 1

I hate to ask this but who exactly in benefitting from having West Wales Raiders in League One? It can't be the players, their supporters, League One or the sport of Rugby League. So who? I'm sure that like most people I sincerely want a semi-pro/pro club in south Wales but at what price? WWR are no better now than they were in their first season. Another 100-point defeat against, honestly, a pretty average Oldham is no good to anybody. There is such a wide gap in League One these days and those suffering most are the clubs outside what is generally known as the heartlands.  I admire those people who try to spread the game in untapped areas (I did it myself many years ago) but there has to be a better way than what we have got now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cw25 said:

By my team. But I am not exactly having a party. They will have a score like this against them again. Not acceptable.

I doubt Oldham got a lot from the game either. 

West Wales should be a success but I don't see any improvement coming.

What's are they doing to correct this issue, the playing rota is obviously below the required standard for this level. Not the players fault but the managements failure to build a semi competitive team is worrying. 

Oldham have built a good squad but difficult to measure how good just yet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan said:

I hate to ask this but who exactly in benefitting from having West Wales Raiders in League One? It can't be the players, their supporters, League One or the sport of Rugby League. So who? I'm sure that like most people I sincerely want a semi-pro/pro club in south Wales but at what price? WWR are no better now than they were in their first season. Another 100-point defeat against, honestly, a pretty average Oldham is no good to anybody. There is such a wide gap in League One these days and those suffering most are the clubs outside what is generally known as the heartlands.  I admire those people who try to spread the game in untapped areas (I did it myself many years ago) but there has to be a better way than what we have got now.

Yeh L1 is almost two leagues in one.

Maybe a half year split similar to the women's SL?

• Like 2

Again though Oldham would be one of the favourites to go back to the Championship, so psychologically actually conceding the 'ton' for the first time this season is highly deflating, putting it in context is less damaging. The quality isn't there to compete with any of the top 8 sides, you just have to target the likes of Cernyw and Midlands to get any result this year and build from there. 

• Like 1

BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!

19 minutes ago, sgorpioncaerdyddrob said:

Again though Oldham would be one of the favourites to go back to the Championship, so psychologically actually conceding the 'ton' for the first time this season is highly deflating, putting it in context is less damaging. The quality isn't there to compete with any of the top 8 sides, you just have to target the likes of Cernyw and Midlands to get any result this year and build from there. 

Your living in cloud cuckoo land. Cornwall and Mids will beat them  

2 minutes ago, sgorpioncaerdyddrob said:

Certainly will if they don't improve, but atleast it could actually be a competitive game

Don't know if you support WWR or are just sticking up for them as a RL fan. Respect to you either way. I have made points about them. I hope they ram my words down my throat very soon.

• Like 1

I support Welsh Rugby League, and been involved in the sport in various capacities for well over a decade. So yes, I'm very familiar with the failings of the sport on many levels, especially as we can all see with WWR. Flogging a maimed horse isn't going to help it get back up and work again. 

• Like 2

BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!

No disrespect meant to WWR but as an outsider it feels like they are going through the motions putting a team out but with no real plan to compete. No improvement after a few seasons now and no clear plan in place to improve things. They'll struggle selling it to locals when they ship a point a minute every week.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Colin James said:

No disrespect meant to WWR but as an outsider it feels like they are going through the motions putting a team out but with no real plan to compete. No improvement after a few seasons now and no clear plan in place to improve things. They'll struggle selling it to locals when they ship a point a minute every week.

On a positive note, I was always disappointed in myself that I never made the pro game.

Looks like a move to a particular postcode (on the right day) might get me on the bench 🙂