West Wales Raiders - laughing stock

Given the current issues within the NHS and the wider services at the moment here, I can empathise with WWR. Part time sports, especially in area where they are a minority are unlikely to get the support they require in the event of other pressures. 

The problem is, this story has something of the boy who cried wolf about it. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

This is a strange take. Llanelli is not in Timbuktu, and availability of a club doctor is an essential requirement of being in league 1. Not only that it's not the first time this has happened. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/west-wales-issue-statement-following-newcastle-game-postponement/

OK, how many RFL accredited doctors do the Hurricanes have? Do you always have 2 pencilled in for everyone of your games? If all your Doctors became unavailable at very short notice through no fault of the club, nor of the doctors, how far away is the next RFL accredited doctor? 

1 minute ago, Hemi4561 said:

Why does this not surprise me, your antipathy to outlying semi-pro clubs is manifest. 

The plug should never have been put in

• Haha 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

9 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Given the current issues within the NHS and the wider services at the moment here, I can empathise with WWR. Part time sports, especially in area where they are a minority are unlikely to get the support they require in the event of other pressures. 

The problem is, this story has something of the boy who cried wolf about it. 

I agree. However it can be verified by the RFL as no matter how poorly WWR are managed that the doctors in question would lie to them in order to bolster a lie made by the club. If they did it could have serious professional repercussions. 

1 minute ago, Hemi4561 said:

I agree. However it can be verified by the RFL as no matter how poorly WWR are managed that the doctors in question would lie to them in order to bolster a lie made by the club. If they did it could have serious professional repercussions. 

I'm not close to the requirements put in place for clubs regarding medical cover, nor the individual circumstances in this case. I suspect that's what would be required to make a fully informed comment in this particular circumstance. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

39 minutes ago, Rach said:

TBF Over the years I've been at a few 'M62' grounds/ games where the game has been delayed/ put at risk of postponement for some considerable time  due to medical issues - be it lack of Doctor , incorrect meds or issues with defib machines, so WWR aren't alone in that respect .

The Raiders have a issued a pretty detailed statement , which accepts their own failings on some points but it also does ask questions on the Governing Body's handling of the situation. 

In terms of the RFL - before they throw the book at WWR maybe look a bit closer to home,

Women's Super League double-header postponed | LoveRugbyLeague

Didn't see the uproar when two SL Games (Mens or Womens it really shouldn't be treated any differently ) in the Heartlands , in an RFL organised' Double - Header ' was called off for lack of medical staff last season .

To be fair Rach there was an outcry at the time about the women's Superleague game and it was damaging to the credibility of the competition

18 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

OK, how many RFL accredited doctors do the Hurricanes have? Do you always have 2 pencilled in for everyone of your games? If all your Doctors became unavailable at very short notice through no fault of the club, nor of the doctors, how far away is the next RFL accredited doctor? 

I wouldn't pretend to know what an 'accredited RFL doctor' is and I have no involvement in match day management. Perhaps you can tell us what an accredited RFL doctor is and why there are so few of them in Llanelli? 

If Hurricanes experience the same problem then I'd acknowledge that but as far as I know this issue has only happened twice and each time it was the same club involved. 

8 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I wouldn't pretend to know what an 'accredited RFL doctor' is and I have no involvement in match day management. Perhaps you can tell us what an accredited RFL doctor is and why there are so few of them in Llanelli? 

If Hurricanes experience the same problem then I'd acknowledge that but as far as I know this issue has only happened twice and each time it was the same club involved. 

In response to your second paragraph first, lightening can strike twice

I too do not know the actual procedure, whether a doctor has to just submit a career cv, or they have to attend seminars, or to take some sort of test, but what I do know is that not any Tom, Dick, or Vetinary Surgeon, nor even a medically qualified Doctor can officiate now. There is logic to this, I would rather have a newly qualified doctor who is working long hours in a busy a and e unit and as such is seeing plenty of major and minor trauma victims than a consultant Obstetrician who hasn't seen a limb fracture or a concussion in the last 30 years. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rach said:

TBF Over the years I've been at a few 'M62' grounds/ games where the game has been delayed/ put at risk of postponement for some considerable time  due to medical issues - be it lack of Doctor , incorrect meds or issues with defib machines, so WWR aren't alone in that respect .

The Raiders have a issued a pretty detailed statement , which accepts their own failings on some points but it also does ask questions on the Governing Body's handling of the situation. 

In terms of the RFL - before they throw the book at WWR maybe look a bit closer to home,

Women's Super League double-header postponed | LoveRugbyLeague

Didn't see the uproar when two SL Games (Mens or Womens it really shouldn't be treated any differently ) in the Heartlands , in an RFL organised' Double - Header ' was called off for lack of medical staff last season .

I can't remember if the women's postponements were discussed on here but I was definitely involved in conversations around them on the socials.

It wasn't out of character for the women's game to be treated like that, just as it isn't out of character for the WWR organisation to fail at something that seems basic.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

In response to your second paragraph first, lightening can strike twice

I too do not know the actual procedure, whether a doctor has to just submit a career cv, or they have to attend seminars, or to take some sort of test, but what I do know is that not any Tom, Dick, or Vetinary Surgeon, nor even a medically qualified Doctor can officiate now. There is logic to this, I would rather have a newly qualified doctor who is working long hours in a busy a and e unit and as such is seeing plenty of major and minor trauma victims than a consultant Obstetrician who hasn't seen a limb fracture or a concussion in the last 30 years. 

So you don't know the actual procedure. You can put your head in the sand and make excuses if you want. The fact of the matter is the game has been awarded to the opposition which suggests culpability. Its also the second time its happened. Raiders must do better because incidents like this are damaging the credibility of the competition 

• Like 3

Not the only club to be struggling to find medical staff at the moment. Hardly surprising given the pressure in those people's day jobs.

The RFL must have been struggling to find staff for this game as well, as there was no reserve referee appointed per the RFL's match officials' appointments page. Lucky the game was cancelled, otherwise the RFL would be needing to refer itself to it's own compliance department.🙄

Rugby League (rugby-league.com)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DEANO said:

Time to pull the plug 

Is that a medical expression?

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Sometimes it's useful for our sport that we don't have a high media profile........

League One is very niche - the equivalent third division in Union features the likes of Caldy and Chinnor (had to look it up as never heard of them). This forum might know and care but no one in the wider sporting world will give a monkeys that a game at this level has been cancelled. 

Edited by theswanmcr
Incorrect team name given
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

League One is very niche - the equivalent third division in Union features the likes of Caldy and Chinnor (had to look it up as never heard of them). This forum might know and care but no one in the wider sporting world will give a monkeys that a game at this level has been cancelled. 

I would not have the first clue about anything to do with rugby onion, but this is one of the 35 professional rugby league clubs in the UK who are members of the RFL.

13 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Failure to fulfil a fixture in union at any level usually results in automatic demotion.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I would not have the first clue about anything to do with rugby onion, but this is one of the 35 professional rugby league clubs in the UK who are members of the RFL.

Indeed and it is a joke that couple times fulfill the fixture and no way for a ‘professional’ club to act.

My point was more that the media, thankfully, won’t really mention this as it is at the lowest level of our pro ranks. And that level is very much semi-pro… or amateur in terms of West Wales.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

We should have the same - shame we don’t have a national pyramid below League One level.

It is a shame but any sympathy I had for WWR has long since evaporated. If automatic demotion causes them fatal problems then pour encourager les autres so be it.

And if a genuine threat of it forces them to act like an actual professional club rather than some bewildering amateurs on an adventure then that'd be great too.

Either way: throw the book at them.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Either way: throw the book at them.

Did you demand the same of the RFL when they called off the Women's SL double header fixture at Wakefield last year for the same reason? 

Just asking... 

• Like 1