West Wales Raiders - laughing stock

1 minute ago, Rach said:

Did you demand the same of the RFL when they called off the Women's SL double header fixture at Wakefield last year for the same reason? 

Just asking... 

You seem to think that this is some get out of jail card.

It isn't.

It was complained about at the time. I know because I did some of the complaining. To the extent that I ended up in conversation with an RFL registered medic about how it could have happened (the short version: it was inexcusable and should never happen again but wasn't the actual doctors' fault).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And how many of you posters demanding that WWR be sanctioned have actually attended a L1 game in the last season or two.. ?? Just asking.. Or are you just kicking off because it's easy from behind a computer screen 

From my personal perspective the last couple of trips down to Stebonheath Park have been spot on and the welcome for us as visiting fans has been cracking and better than plenty of traditional clubs ..

But hey it's easy to jump on a bandwagon... 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You seem to think that this is some get out of jail card.

It isn't.

It was complained about at the time. I know because I did some of the complaining. To the extent that I ended up in conversation with an RFL registered medic about how it could have happened (the short version: it was inexcusable and should never happen again but wasn't the actual doctors' fault).

No I use it as an example as how circumstances can over take the game day .. I've watched the game for 40 years and I've seen games delayed / postponed for lots of reasons, be it lack. of doctor , lack of match officials ,insufficient stewarding/ police, issues with the defib kit and  probably the best, when a club had bought some cheap top soil and the opposing club opposed playing the game because there was glass in said soil on the field  ...the majority of these were M62 clubs with no sanction but hey let's just chuck the book at  Raiders, and forget it doesn't happen to anyone else 

• Like 1

WWR seem to stagger from one crisis to another but according to their statement on twitter they seem to have made great efforts to find a replacement. I can also remember having to wait till 4.05 for a 3pm kick off at Keighley while we waited for a doctor to arrive and travelling to Cheltenham for a Glos All Golds match v Hemel Stags which was postponed around kick off time as there was no doctor available so it has happened elsewhere. The All Golds were allowed to replay their match but not WWR this time - maybe indicative of the RFL running out of patience with the Raiders. I assume it is for insurance purposes but I can't understand otherwise why a fully qualified emergency paramedic shouldn't be used they are probably better experienced at dealing with serious injuries than your usual general practicioner.

1 minute ago, Rach said:

No I use it as an example as how circumstances can over take the game day .. I've watched the game for 40 years and I've seen games delayed / postponed for lots of reasons, be it lack. of doctor , lack of match officials ,insufficient stewarding/ police, issues with the defib kit and  probably the best, when a club had bought some cheap top soil and the opposing club opposed playing the game because there was glass in said soil on the field  ...the majority of these were M62 clubs with no sanction but hey let's just chuck the book at  Raiders, and forget it doesn't happen to anyone else 

No, we chuck the book at the Raiders because this is far from being their first offence and they have exhausted any legitimate patience.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I think we should avoid humiliating then and support them this season.

Then it needs to be fully addressed in the off season or near the end of this one.

Serious talks about them making changes and dropping to amateur status if applicable

Think they’ve already achieved amateur status but that is disrespectful to amateur’s 

• Sad 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Just now, David Dockhouse Host said:

I don't think it helps the sport if we publicise our failures, so for the good of RL make it work this season and then let them go with dignity

We’ve said that for at least the last 4 years 

8 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I think we should avoid humiliating then and support them this season.

Then it needs to be fully addressed in the off season or near the end of this one.

Serious talks about them making changes and dropping to amateur status if applicable

They've been indulged for years.

It's time to tell them that they either act like a professional rugby league team or they have no place in professional rugby league.

4 minutes ago, DEANO said:

We’ve said that for at least the last 4 years 

I'm not interested in empty words, I actually mean do it, anyone can say anything. If it's been said before then why didn't they act at the end of the year like I suggest? 

My point stands, support them as we are mid season, then sort it one way or the other. 

This isn't the same as ignoring the problem, we must be Pro active.  

Pro active in support then Pro active in 'discussing' their withdrawal.

Humiliating them does not help RL

10 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I'm not interested in empty words, I actually mean do it, anyone can say anything. If it's been said before then why didn't they act at the end of the year like I suggest? 

My point stands, support them as we are mid season, then sort it one way or the other. 

This isn't the same as ignoring the problem, we must be Pro active.  

Pro active in support then Pro active in 'discussing' their withdrawal.

Humiliating them does not help RL

They’re doing a fantastic job of humiliating themselves 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I agree but not mid season due to the damage to the sport, end of season and done professionally

Expunging clubs records mid season is something that serious sports do all the time.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Expunging clubs records mid season is something that serious sports do all the time.

Yep it happened to my club 20 years ago. Sometimes ###### happens but you get over it or not as in wwrw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Well if the club cannot be supported enough to finish the season then maybe it's the only route but I still prefer to see it through if possible.

Which other sports have done this BTW, just out if interest, not being difficult genuinely cannot think of any.

I keep hearing since I got interested in League in 2016 about this wonderful "Rugby League Family" that you/we are all a part of.  Boy.....the way some of you posters here are sticking it big-time to the WWR Club.....if this is family.....then I shudder to think how you would treat enemies.....     Just saying.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Well if the club cannot be supported enough to finish the season then maybe it's the only route but I still prefer to see it through if possible.

Which other sports have done this BTW, just out if interest, not being difficult genuinely cannot think of any.

Happens in football all the time at roughly the same level (semi professional) as we have to pretend that WWR are operating at.

5 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

I keep hearing since I got interested in League in 2016 about this wonderful "Rugby League Family" that you/we are all a part of.  Boy.....the way some of you posters here are sticking it big-time to the WWR Club.....if this is family.....then I shudder to think how you would treat enemies.....     Just saying.....

Indulging naughty children rarely turns out well for a family.

This isn't some complex case that the RFL (or WRL) are failing if they don't support. It's a club that consistently shows itself to be incompetent at the basics being incompetent at the basics again.

The punishment for failing to fulfil a fixture in a professional league has to be severe even if (and I don't but others clearly do) have sympathy for the reasons.

9 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

I'll agree with the other answers to this statement and say it is because we care that we get so angry at the incompetance and mismanagement of this "franchise" and what it does to the game in Wales. People forget that in it's first season - as Scorpions - it made the play-offs, not bad for a newbie team and that first team had the likes of Anthony Seibold on it's staff - NRL and England RU on his CV since - showing some planning.

Since then - with admitedly a few ownership changes - it has basically done feck all and gone from bad to worse. Try telling RU buddies that the game has something when they can just point to WWR....

• Like 2

I was recently assured by top people in the RFL that ALL League 1 clubs meet the Governance blueprint advocated by Sport England as best practice.

Talk of a pyramid within the game is a touch misplaced as NCL Tier 4 clubs are modelled totally different to the semi pro's-much more like RFU  outfits with multiple teams from 4 year old upwards. They wouldn't get in as they don't meet the standards.

If West Wales have to seek alternatives it would have to be the Southern Conference. And the new entity RFL Commercial would have to fund at least the travel bills. Would love to hear the thoughts of the incoming 'strategic partner' for the lower levels of our game....

Meanwhile West Wales of course hold the magic card of RFL membership , and depending on your views that has considerable value. Just ask Cornwall.

Any rich guys out there willing to throw the dice ?

• Like 2

On 24/04/2022 at 01:57, Cameron Highlander said:

Sometimes family members need to be reminded of a few home truths. Ignoring the issue and pretending it isn't there never did anyone any good