Jump to content

West Wales Raiders - laughing stock


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I would not have the first clue about anything to do with rugby onion, but this is one of the 35 professional rugby league clubs in the UK who are members of the RFL.

Indeed and it is a joke that couple times fulfill the fixture and no way for a ‘professional’ club to act.

My point was more that the media, thankfully, won’t really mention this as it is at the lowest level of our pro ranks. And that level is very much semi-pro… or amateur in terms of West Wales.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Failure to fulfil a fixture in union at any level usually results in automatic demotion.

We should have the same - shame we don’t have a national pyramid below League One level.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

We should have the same - shame we don’t have a national pyramid below League One level.

It is a shame but any sympathy I had for WWR has long since evaporated. If automatic demotion causes them fatal problems then pour encourager les autres so be it.

And if a genuine threat of it forces them to act like an actual professional club rather than some bewildering amateurs on an adventure then that'd be great too.

Either way: throw the book at them.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

 

Either way: throw the book at them.

Did you demand the same of the RFL when they called off the Women's SL double header fixture at Wakefield last year for the same reason? 

Just asking... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rach said:

Did you demand the same of the RFL when they called off the Women's SL double header fixture at Wakefield last year for the same reason? 

Just asking... 

You seem to think that this is some get out of jail card.

It isn't.

It was complained about at the time. I know because I did some of the complaining. To the extent that I ended up in conversation with an RFL registered medic about how it could have happened (the short version: it was inexcusable and should never happen again but wasn't the actual doctors' fault).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And how many of you posters demanding that WWR be sanctioned have actually attended a L1 game in the last season or two.. ?? Just asking.. Or are you just kicking off because it's easy from behind a computer screen 

From my personal perspective the last couple of trips down to Stebonheath Park have been spot on and the welcome for us as visiting fans has been cracking and better than plenty of traditional clubs ..

But hey it's easy to jump on a bandwagon... 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You seem to think that this is some get out of jail card.

It isn't.

It was complained about at the time. I know because I did some of the complaining. To the extent that I ended up in conversation with an RFL registered medic about how it could have happened (the short version: it was inexcusable and should never happen again but wasn't the actual doctors' fault).

No I use it as an example as how circumstances can over take the game day .. I've watched the game for 40 years and I've seen games delayed / postponed for lots of reasons, be it lack. of doctor , lack of match officials ,insufficient stewarding/ police, issues with the defib kit and  probably the best, when a club had bought some cheap top soil and the opposing club opposed playing the game because there was glass in said soil on the field  ...the majority of these were M62 clubs with no sanction but hey let's just chuck the book at  Raiders, and forget it doesn't happen to anyone else 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WWR seem to stagger from one crisis to another but according to their statement on twitter they seem to have made great efforts to find a replacement. I can also remember having to wait till 4.05 for a 3pm kick off at Keighley while we waited for a doctor to arrive and travelling to Cheltenham for a Glos All Golds match v Hemel Stags which was postponed around kick off time as there was no doctor available so it has happened elsewhere. The All Golds were allowed to replay their match but not WWR this time - maybe indicative of the RFL running out of patience with the Raiders. I assume it is for insurance purposes but I can't understand otherwise why a fully qualified emergency paramedic shouldn't be used they are probably better experienced at dealing with serious injuries than your usual general practicioner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rach said:

No I use it as an example as how circumstances can over take the game day .. I've watched the game for 40 years and I've seen games delayed / postponed for lots of reasons, be it lack. of doctor , lack of match officials ,insufficient stewarding/ police, issues with the defib kit and  probably the best, when a club had bought some cheap top soil and the opposing club opposed playing the game because there was glass in said soil on the field  ...the majority of these were M62 clubs with no sanction but hey let's just chuck the book at  Raiders, and forget it doesn't happen to anyone else 

No, we chuck the book at the Raiders because this is far from being their first offence and they have exhausted any legitimate patience.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I think we should avoid humiliating then and support them this season.

Then it needs to be fully addressed in the off season or near the end of this one.

Serious talks about them making changes and dropping to amateur status if applicable

Think they’ve already achieved amateur status but that is disrespectful to amateur’s 

  • Sad 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Think they’ve already achieved amateur status but that is disrespectful to amateur’s 

I don't think it helps the sport if we publicise our failures, so for the good of RL make it work this season and then let them go with dignity

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, David Dockhouse Host said:

I don't think it helps the sport if we publicise our failures, so for the good of RL make it work this season and then let them go with dignity

We’ve said that for at least the last 4 years 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I think we should avoid humiliating then and support them this season.

Then it needs to be fully addressed in the off season or near the end of this one.

Serious talks about them making changes and dropping to amateur status if applicable

They've been indulged for years.

It's time to tell them that they either act like a professional rugby league team or they have no place in professional rugby league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DEANO said:

We’ve said that for at least the last 4 years 

I'm not interested in empty words, I actually mean do it, anyone can say anything. If it's been said before then why didn't they act at the end of the year like I suggest? 

My point stands, support them as we are mid season, then sort it one way or the other. 

This isn't the same as ignoring the problem, we must be Pro active.  

Pro active in support then Pro active in 'discussing' their withdrawal.

Humiliating them does not help RL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They've been indulged for years.

It's time to tell them that they either act like a professional rugby league team or they have no place in professional rugby league.

I agree but not mid season due to the damage to the sport, end of season and done professionally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I'm not interested in empty words, I actually mean do it, anyone can say anything. If it's been said before then why didn't they act at the end of the year like I suggest? 

My point stands, support them as we are mid season, then sort it one way or the other. 

This isn't the same as ignoring the problem, we must be Pro active.  

Pro active in support then Pro active in 'discussing' their withdrawal.

Humiliating them does not help RL

They’re doing a fantastic job of humiliating themselves 

  • Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I agree but not mid season due to the damage to the sport, end of season and done professionally

Expunging clubs records mid season is something that serious sports do all the time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Expunging clubs records mid season is something that serious sports do all the time.

Yep it happened to my club 20 years ago. Sometimes ###### happens but you get over it or not as in wwrw

  • Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Expunging clubs records mid season is something that serious sports do all the time.

Well if the club cannot be supported enough to finish the season then maybe it's the only route but I still prefer to see it through if possible.

Which other sports have done this BTW, just out if interest, not being difficult genuinely cannot think of any.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep hearing since I got interested in League in 2016 about this wonderful "Rugby League Family" that you/we are all a part of.  Boy.....the way some of you posters here are sticking it big-time to the WWR Club.....if this is family.....then I shudder to think how you would treat enemies.....     Just saying.....

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Well if the club cannot be supported enough to finish the season then maybe it's the only route but I still prefer to see it through if possible.

Which other sports have done this BTW, just out if interest, not being difficult genuinely cannot think of any.

Happens in football all the time at roughly the same level (semi professional) as we have to pretend that WWR are operating at.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...