Town v Haven! The Ike Southward Memorial Trophy is back!

WTRLFC WEBSITE

3 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Hedging your bets after writing us off there marra. We will be underdogs in every game we play this season and probably rightly so. But because we have young lads with Cumbrian postcodes instead of Australian ones will do for me every day of the week. I'll stick by my original prediction.

You do that pal we tried it a few years back and we wer bottom after 5 games. Il stick to mine to marra 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Hedging your bets after writing us off there marra. We will be underdogs in every game we play this season and probably rightly so. But because we have young lads with Cumbrian postcodes instead of Australian ones will do for me every day of the week. I'll stick by my original prediction.

Yeah the young cumbrians with potential are a better strategy that pricey Imports long term. Its all about sustainability.

8 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Hedging your bets after writing us off there marra. We will be underdogs in every game we play this season and probably rightly so. But because we have young lads with Cumbrian postcodes instead of Australian ones will do for me every day of the week. I'll stick by my original 

11 minutes ago, Havenfan13 said:

You do that pal we tried it a few years back and we wer bottom after 5 games. Il stick to mine to marra 

I'm not going to pretend that no matter where they are from a bit of stardust is a bad thing, but all Aussies aren't superstars. We have had some belters but also some duck eggs. Fingers crossed you don't get any duck eggs eh!

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

14 minutes ago, town4me said:

Sadly i think Haven will edge the game by 12 points, hope I'm wrong tho, but its a derby game and that changes a lot, 

50 minutes ago, town4me said:

Yeah the young cumbrians with potential are a better strategy that pricey Imports long term. Its all about sustainability.

This season may be another story though , I think it will be incredibly tough . Time will tell 

35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

This season may be another story though , I think it will be incredibly tough . Time will tell 

Yes it will be tough dave but the club has a   budget to work to as we all know. Maybe the jewel in the crown is CT. 

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

2 game ban in a friendly , thanks RFL most kind 

Think we had pez and Cus banned after the friendly with Barrow last year, they certainly like to make their mark on us.

Think refs and the disciplinary are going to be really hard on any hits after the ball has been passed, but it’s a very difficult one to judge whether somebody can pull out of a tackle. As long as everybody receives the same punishment and there is consistency in the decision making. 

2 hours ago, Havenfan13 said:

It takes more than 5 gàmes to get up to championship standard. You'll have noticed nobody is under any illusions how tough it's going to be. If we can avoid the 3 game wobble we had last year we'll have a right dig . Turning good performances into wins is the tricky bit.

This weekend will be a good indicator of where we are and what we need to do to compete, very interested to see how good haven are in the flesh,hearing a lot about how good they are and how town dont have championship quality players, hopefully Sunday will clear a few things up

42 minutes ago, Route66 said:

This weekend will be a good indicator of where we are and what we need to do to compete, very interested to see how good haven are in the flesh,hearing a lot about how good they are and how town dont have championship quality players, hopefully Sunday will clear a few things up

It’s not a case of how good haven are bud obv we are not gonna be anywhere near the standard we wer last season in 1 game we will be rusty like town wer last week and probs will be on Sunday on paper the squads are miles apart in terms of quality the game on Sunday won’t be as good as our other games later in the year when both sides are match fit and have full squads but it’s a derby and I can’t wait as it’s my favourite game of the year I’m not saying town don’t have certain individuals that couldn’t play championship rugby I’m saying as a side and what I seen against Doncaster and on Sunday against barrow you are miles away from anything I seen last year in this league I just hope you stay up as we both need each other 

16 minutes ago, Havenfan13 said:

It’s not a case of how good haven are bud obv we are not gonna be anywhere near the standard we wer last season in 1 game we will be rusty like town wer last week and probs will be on Sunday on paper the squads are miles apart in terms of quality the game on Sunday won’t be as good as our other games later in the year when both sides are match fit and have full squads but it’s a derby and I can’t wait as it’s my favourite game of the year I’m not saying town don’t have certain individuals that couldn’t play championship rugby I’m saying as a side and what I seen against Doncaster and on Sunday against barrow you are miles away from anything I seen last year in this league I just hope you stay up as we both need each other 

I think a number of teams that finished below haven in the championship last season will be much stronger this season. I think you may be a bit suprised  by the difference this season to last season IMO. 

4 minutes ago, town4me said:

I think a number of teams that finished below haven in the championship last season will be much stronger this season. I think you may be a bit suprised  by the difference this season to last season IMO. 

The stronger the better the comp will be pal all great games 👍

6 hours ago, town4me said:

Last time I looked there were plenty of Cumbrians in the Whitehaven squad.

The best strategy is to stay in the division,a few quality imports added to a predominantly Cumbrian Squad worked for Haven last year so understandably they’ve chosen to go the same route this year.

13 minutes ago, town4me said:

13 minutes ago, town4me said:

Davo 5 Last seasons championship was unique due to the pandemic and Oldham and Swinton being well below what was required. It will be different this season. 

You’ve been trotting that rubbish out ever since Haven reached the playoffs after confounding your certainties for relegation prediction,I’ll leave you to it.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You’ve been trotting that rubbish out ever since Haven reached the playoffs after confounding your certainties for relegation prediction,I’ll leave you to it.

Hmm yeah OK. A tough season for us ahead we are all all under no doubt. If you think last season was   normal then fair enough. I hope you've made up with havens super fan  now and are you are now allowed on the kells end

5 minutes ago, town4me said:

Hmm yeah OK. A tough season for us ahead we are all all under no doubt. If you think last season was   normal then fair enough. I hope you've made up with havens super fan  now and are you are now allowed on the kells end

Oh bless,tough day in the school yard.

On 13/01/2022 at 10:33, Havenfan13 said:

No marra plus nikau and Ryan king and a couple others there massive players for us 

Getting the excuses in already eh 😜😘

Archived