Town v Haven! The Ike Southward Memorial Trophy is back!

WTRLFC WEBSITE

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, town2018 said:

Now that we have seen the majority off the squad what's everyone's thoughts on our strongest 17 for the season mines 

Thomas 

Olstrum

Bickerdike 

Brown

Clegg

Doran

Walker

O'brien

Simon

Fitzy 

Steele

Barnes

Tomposh 

Henson

Lightowler

Clark

Hutchins 

Won’t be far off but i think Teare and Hanley will feature in the first 17 of the season 

Terrific day and what a really important ending for the confidence. Great scenes and noise at the end and did I hear some singing “we’re going to win the league”. Think its called a sense of humour before anyone scoffs!  No ones getting carried away but 2nd half I did think we looked incisive. As usual under CT we look a team. Also 2 great hookers now. Think Hutchins could be huge in the middle. Wasn’t on for that long though - was that fitness or an injury? Teare oozes class, him and Barnes great combo. Walker really looks the part. Thought Thomas looked assured at the back. 

Defence largely good and had to be as too many errors (despite poor Ref ) giving away so much possession and territory. Good luck to haven. Hope we both fare well - these are nearly always great days out!

Gonna be difficult to pick a 17 which is exactly what you want. We have alot of guys who are very similar in the pack. Thomson has been my surprise so far. Been brilliant. Can also see Teare getting in ahead of Brown. Hope Olstrom can retain a wing place in front of young also? 

Either way, we have a consistent squad what have proved they are all capable of this level. 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Young will be on the wing you’d think as well ?

He's a tricky one to assess, i like having his size defensively and runs out strong enough but he's not going to beat anybody for pace twenty yards out. still our best option though. I can see Lee P getting more gametime at FB, he looks very assured.

7 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

He's a tricky one to assess, i like having his size defensively and runs out strong enough but he's not going to beat anybody for pace twenty yards out. still our best option though. I can see Lee P getting more gametime at FB, he looks very assured.

No idea what’s happening with Eliott but I still think we’re a good experienced back short 

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No idea what’s happening with Eliott but I still think we’re a good experienced back short 

It would be a bonus if he makes an appearance or two but Curtis has played at the highest level in the amateurs and some of them can step into championship rugby easily. The likes of John Allen, Stephen Holgate etc. just had it. We all crave big name signings but it's exciting when you see the likes of him and Ciaran playing like that so early in their pro careers.

15 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

It would be a bonus if he makes an appearance or two but Curtis has played at the highest level in the amateurs and some of them can step into championship rugby easily. The likes of John Allen, Stephen Holgate etc. just had it. We all crave big name signings but it's exciting when you see the likes of him and Ciaran playing like that so early in their pro careers.

The way Curtis broke through with his long striding running style gliding across the ground he reminded me of Ian Wright. Hope he turns out to be as good! 

1 minute ago, IanMac said:

The way Curtis broke through with his long striding running style gliding across the ground he reminded me of Ian Wright. Hope he turns out to be as good! 

If only!  I couldn't believe how easily he strode through off no more then a regulation pass. We now need somebody to come screaming up the middle to take the try scoring pass...somebody like a Dec O'Donnell 🙂

1 hour ago, homeandawayer said:

If only!  I couldn't believe how easily he strode through off no more then a regulation pass. We now need somebody to come screaming up the middle to take the try scoring pass...somebody like a Dec O'Donnell 🙂

I think it’s fair to say you won’t be disappointed then😜

Considering the possession we gave them, I thought haven looked a bit pedestrian at times trying to go down the middle with their big guys who more often than not were put on their backside. Was quite impressed with their fullback and ginger haired half back, not sure who they are ?

31 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Considering the possession we gave them, I thought haven looked a bit pedestrian at times trying to go down the middle with their big guys who more often than not were put on their backside. Was quite impressed with their fullback and ginger haired half back, not sure who they are ?

2 new Aussies 

Alex bishop

josh martin

Just a question did anyone notice Oscar Thomas top had Fell on the back , bit strange as it's a new top and Gade left a number of weeks ago .

Great day yesterday, always thought we would come good in the end , wasn't to impressed with Dopelands best mind, great sight seeing their fans rushing for the exits at the end, they could have clapped their team off  😆UTT

Here's my report that's in the star page 37.

Workington Town vs Whitehaven RLFC

Ike Southward Memorial.

Isaac “Ike” Southward. A legendary figure in West Cumbria and across the whole game of Rugby League Born in Ellenborough Maryport in 1934. “Ike” had a path into the rugby stage through Ellenborough and even caught the eye of high flyers Salford and Huddersfield, Southward would settle into home life and stay with Ellenborough despite the offer of trials from the West Yorkshire and Manchester clubs.

Ike would go onto sign for Workington Town in 1952 and spent 8 fantastic seasons at Borough and Derwent Park before making the transition south to Oldham for a word record fee in the region of £500,000 in today money and set the world alight in Greater Manchester before returning to West Cumbria for a second record fee in as many years eclipsing the great Mick Sullivan (St Helens to Wigan) deal in the same year it’s estimated Town paid in the region of £525,000 in today money for the legends return. Southward would then continue at Workington as a player until 1969 in a playing carer that spanned 2 decades, over 270 tries, close to 1500 points and 12 Great Britan appearances.

Isaac wasn’t done there though and would coach his beloved Workington in 1968 taking the reigns from Jim Brough until 1971 where Eppie Gibson would take over from Ike who then went the short distance to Whitehaven to succeed the legendary Gus Risman before another huge name in Cumbrian rugby league Sol Roper took over the hot seat at Haven.

Whitehaven started well and forced an error from Workington with O'Brien knocking on and 2nd knock from Town pilled the pressure on however a kick from Alex Bishop went out on the full and Workington had a reliving set to get deep into the Haven half. Town then had another attacking error and after 5 minutes the handbag at 10 paces were drawn after a coming together with Malik Steele and Connor Holiday.

Town were then adjudged to have stolen the ball. A swift move was thwarted by Town with a tackle from Joe Brown. Town however were penalised for not being square as heroic defence from Town kept Haven out twice. Town were then award a penalty for offside. Town were awarded a further penalty for a late hit on Thomas as Town. Ciaran Walker strolled through a gap to score however it was adjudged the Town man went behind his fellow man and it was ruled out. Town then were penalised for a dunk tackle which resulted in Marcus O'Brien sent for 10. Whitehaven couldn't capitalise as Mcavoy knocked on. Town coped well for a spell without the full compliment . A head injury to Steele saw Rhys Clarke onto the pitch. Dixon nearly sent Bulman away however the pass was adjudged to be forward. Clarke made an instant impact getting a penalty for a high shot. This wasn't capitalised on as a wild pass forced Oscar Thomas

into touch. A neat kick from  Nikau Willams was knocked on by Dave Eccleston and Town survived again on 21 minutes. Haven were awarded a 6 again on 23 minutes and Dave Eccleston hugged the touchline to touch down for 0-4. Former town second row Jacob Moore couldn't add the extras as Town returned to a full compliment on 25 minutes. Steele came back following the passing of the injury protocol and Workington were awarded another set following a deliberate knock on from Haven. Haven held out well as an apparent knock on went unnoticed as Jamie Doran nearly made it over. Town survived further pressure and grew into the game as it become a typical derby affair of nip and tuck. Nikau Williams was held up over the line on 36 minutes. Haven were penalised on 37 minutes for offside as Town marched up the field and ended the set well.

The 2nd half started well for Town as the completed their 1st set and Haven kicked out on the dull. A huge break from Ciaran Walker nearly went through for town but they were then under the cosh themselves as Haven broke away. Town were then taken out off the ball but a further miss from the referee allowed Haven to score 20 meters to the right of the posts as Moore went 1/2 to take the score 0 -10 after 49. The failing of the referee to have any control on the fixture finally came to a head with a huge brawl in 51st minute as he sent Connor Fitzsimmons to the bin along with Nikau Williams. Whitehaven got another two penalties and the belt end as Karl dixon was held up over the line. Haven then pressed again before a monstrous tackle from Alex young kept Haven out. They did however force a drop out in which Dion Ayie knocked on from.  

Town put the ball threw hands and looked very dangerous but for a hand of Holliday. The haven resistance broke however on 58 minutes as Ciaran Walker went over and Doran slotted over for 6-10 on the hour. The try sprung Town into life and were an inch away from levelling the game as a Walker kick had ever to much on it. Haven replied well and scored through a neat kick from Aussie halfback Alex Bishop. Connor Holliday had a Don Fox moment and put the conversion under the bar on the hour. From the kick off Haven couldn't find half was as Ayie knocked on.  Town couldn't capitalise but kept haven pinned well. Town weren't done however as a beautiful break from Teare sent Bickerdike in as Doran converted the score to bring the game 12-14 in the last 10 minutes. Bickerdike then had a one on one steal go his way. Town then attempted a Harlem globe trotter pass that resulted in a knock on of their own. Haven then had another penalty as the arm of Doran slipped up over the head of Bishop. Town would defend impeccably though to force a knock on from Haven's Holiday. Town then got a penalty on tackle one for a high tackle on lighthowler. Town however had tor much on the end of the set. Town were then awarded a penalty for a late shot Doran. The resulting penalty would be the decisive moment in the game was when Town were held up twice on the line but one last knock at the Haven door collapsed it for Town when Matty Henson crashed over to send the Town fans into utter delirium as Doran converted the try from smack bang in front of the sticks to send Ike back to Town.

Town 21

Oscar Thomas

Alexander Clegg

Joseph Brown

Ethan Bickerdike

Zac Olstrom

Jamie Doran

Ciaran Walker

Connor Fitzsimmons

Evan Simmons

Jake Lighthowler

Malik Steele