Fielden Vs McDermott

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Fielden was the best forward in the world for around 2 years. The pinnacle was probably his performance in the WCC when he almost beat the Aussies by himself. But he will always be remembered for the Willy Mason punch.

Fielden was the better player but you know Baz would have gone after Mason if that had happened to him.

Baz for me just because everyone loved a bit of biff.

McDermott. Whilst Fielden was a better player (in his Bradford prime), McDermott had the edge in aggression over a longer period of time and I'd like my team to have someone like that. For me, Fielden lost his edge when he moved to Wigan, whether that was because he was just chasing the cash or playing too much SL at a very young age taking its toll I don't know. Also, Fielden comes across as a bit of a pratt whenever I've heard him talk post retirement, whilst McDermott seems the opposite.

I would have thought Fielden quite comfortably. Pre-Mason he was one of the top forwards in the game and delivered consistently in big games. McDermott was a likeable and very capable Super League player but a head shot or needless knock-on was always around the corner.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

We always pin-point the Mason KO as the event that toppled Fielden’s reign as the top prop over here. I suspect though, it was a combination of things. I’m not sure he really wanted to be unsettled and move across to Wigan, and he seemed to never get back to the same intensity of aggression after that. If you look at Hill and Walmsley, they’ve managed to prolong their peak.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Fielden was a better player but McDermott up to his broken leg in 97 he was Unlucky not to be called up to the 96 tour from a poor rhinos side and he didn’t seem the same the player until late 99/00 which left behind the Bradford pack and a few props at other sides including Leeds 

fielden didn’t seem comfortable at Wigan… 

but the rivalry was just as good between them which you don’t see now which is a shame

Fielden at his peak was an excellent prop. As much as i like Barrie as a player, and he was a decent player, I think i'd go with Fielden.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Mac everytime on my team if I had to choose one or the other, his intimidation alone affected a number of the opposition forwards. 

Rightly or wrongly it once was a big part of the game and has someone who has stood on the terraces for over 50 years and witnessed both this part and in my opinion the over sanitized version that is part of our game today, this is - for me - sadly missing.

I well remember the first test in '94, I was sat behind the subs bench of which Barrie was one, he couldn't sit still riding each and punching every tackle then he came on, it didn't matter who it was but the 6' 4" 17 1/2 stone Paul Sironen was the first player to run at Barrie, needless to say he got of the ground much much slower than he went down.

Fielden was the more complete player but certainly wasn’t as effective post Willie Mason/joining Wigan.

But McDermott brought a something a bit special in terms of aggression, line breaking and offloads.  As a Wigan fan was gutted when he left.

Different types of player, they’d be a great combination in their prime.

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mac everytime on my team if I had to choose one or the other, his intimidation alone affected a number of the opposition forwards. 

Rightly or wrongly it once was a big part of the game and has someone who has stood on the terraces for over 50 years and witnessed both this part and in my opinion the over sanitized version that is part of our game today, this is - for me - sadly missing.

I well remember the first test in '94, I was sat behind the subs bench of which Barrie was one, he couldn't sit still riding each and punching every tackle then he came on, it didn't matter who it was but the 6' 4" 17 1/2 stone Paul Sironen was the first player to run at Barrie, needless to say he got of the ground much much slower than he went down.

Yeah, I’ve watched those highlights back a few times.  Sadly Barrie does hit him late on the first tackle then elbows him straight in the face in the second 🥴

So I love the dog in him but it was foul play.

And I say that as a Wigan fan who was at the game wearing a “McDermott” shirt at the time!

9 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Yeah, I’ve watched those highlights back a few times.  Sadly Barrie does hit him late on the first tackle then elbows him straight in the face in the second 🥴

And I say that as a Wigan fan who was at the game wearing a “McDermott” shirt at the time!

Yeah. 'Test' matches were not just a test of skill in the past, they were much more than that, albeit there has been a few good examples since, the last really aggressive one was the 3rd test v NZ at Leeds in '85, find it on you tube albeit for those of a touchy disposition or not used to that type of RL it could be hide behind the sofa and cringe time.

36 minutes ago, Tonka said:

https://youtu.be/qXpRrT7MaFI

There you go 3rd test '85 save you from looking for it.

Sit back and enjoy if you like your game rough, I will not give the score away for those who don't remember.

Take note of NZ No9 Wayne Wallace the original 'babyfaced assassin'

Mason would’ve broken his hand on McDermott’s jaw, that’s my metric 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Fielden was a far better player than McDermott.   He was more disciplined and made more metres.  His period at Bradford 98-06 were his best years.   By the time he went to Wigan he was heading for burnout.  His style of play, head up, straight running, no footwork or subtlety meant he got some awful punishment.   He never spared himself and it took its toll.  

McDermott was more suited to a previous era when you could get away with the high shots, brawling and intimidation.   That elbow on Sironen in 94 was absolutely awful.  He could've been more effective if he'd toned down the aggression a bit.

Off the field McDermott seems to be a more well adjusted individual.

Not really a contest. Peak Fielden was a much better player than peak McDermott. 

In terms of their supposed personal rivalry there was really only one winner. Fielden came out on top every time I can think of. Now he went off the boil when he went to Wigan. But McDermott was retired by then.

14 minutes ago, Vyvyan said:

Fielden was a far better player than McDermott.   He was more disciplined and made more metres.  His period at Bradford 98-06 were his best years.   By the time he went to Wigan he was heading for burnout.  His style of play, head up, straight running, no footwork or subtlety meant he got some awful punishment.   He never spared himself and it took its toll.  

McDermott was more suited to a previous era when you could get away with the high shots, brawling and intimidation.   That elbow on Sironen in 94 was absolutely awful.  He could've been more effective if he'd toned down the aggression a bit.

Off the field McDermott seems to be a more well adjusted individual.

Fielden was a better all round prop that Brian.  The first paragraph just about sums it up, other than his discipline.  Cocking his fist at every player who disagreed with him shouldn’t have been part of his game.  If Fielden had been smarter with his running game he could have been one of our best ever props.  

Wasnt it Barrie MAC who elbowed Sirronen?

16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Fielden was a better all round prop that Brian.  The first paragraph just about sums it up, other than his discipline.  Cocking his fist at every player who disagreed with him shouldn’t have been part of his game.  If Fielden had been smarter with his running game he could have been one of our best ever props.  

Wasnt it Barrie MAC who elbowed Sirronen?

I thought we were comparing Barrie and Fielden.  😯

14 minutes ago, Vyvyan said:

I thought we were comparing Barrie and Fielden.  😯

And I thought it was Brian 😂 but having read the comments Barrie is referred to mate.

Either way, Fielden was better than both of them.

At his best SF was quick for a prop, could step and chase attackers down.  But as you say, his style ruined his longevity.  Some tried to change him though.

Play alongside - Fielden. Better player at his peak.

Fight alongside - Barrie Mac. Mentalist.

Play against - Fielden. No chance I would want to play against Barrie Mac, having that one good eye staring you down knowing he wanted to kill you.

Archived