If you could bring it back...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Damien said:

Variety in play instead of everyone playing the same way with the same moves.

Agreed . A lot that’s samey  and structured now , set plays with players given set roles and way to much  emphasis on stats and reducing errors  . Probably seeped in from Oz . More interplay ,  halfbacks playing together , the old run around and off the cuff stuff like chips over the top and ball playing middles rather than bash it in and count the metres is good . More latitude for players in terms of punch ups to sort stuff out rather than the ridiculous jumper grabbing and synchronised face offs while shouting at each other which just looks rubbish and more like football . Penalties should be at an absolute premium to , not thrown around like confetti . And especially if you loose the ball the default should be lost ball 

The tap penalty moves were four or five forwards would stand together with their backs to the defensive line. They would then move it between themselves and either one would peel off with the ball or pop it off to a runner. It would invariably go wrong but came into the game for a few years then completely disappeared. 

I have given this some serious thought and it isn't a flippant answer. 

If I could bring anything back it would be my 15 year old self who thought everything was wonderful and not this cynical old man I am now.

Rugby League was everything to me back then and because it was everything to me, it was perfect. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

All the pro clubs I have watched but we have now lost: Blackpool / Chorley / Trafford Borough (not Springfield), Carlisle, Runcorn, Bramley, Mansfield / Nottingham etc.

Season tickets that were paper books with tear out vouchers.

Central Park, modernised with new stands and roofed toilets.

• Almost 40,000 attending a challenge cup second round tie (and hence more in later rounds)
  • contested scrums
  • licensing in SL, not P+R

That's enough controversy for now!

2 minutes ago, wasginger said:

Having brass bands playing before kick-off and at half-time.

Ah , the bandstand in the local park where the Salvation Army band would play as you sat in a deckchair and watched , eating chips and scrapings out of a real newspaper  . Good old days , we had nowt but we were happy 

This will sound odd but I miss Knowsley Road. Some of that is just down to the time in my life and missing going the match with my Dad but it’s also the difference in atmosphere. There was something about the old grounds though, being huddled together in the winter, banter with plenty of away fans who were better mixed in, getting real close to the pitch. 
I am proud that we have our own modern stadium and there’s a lot right with it, time moves on, but it’s not Knowsley Road 😂. 

Beer festivals. When we had the old club house and didn’t have tie ins with individual breweries we had a London CAMRA organised beer festival before and after games. I’m sure  it bought in some extra punters, not all of whom managed to watch the game, as well as lots of interesting ale. Mind you the breweries we have linked up with are grand. 

If we want to see more variety and adventurous play and teams being more game to chuck the ball around, cut the bull- about calling every little fumble - backwards or forwards - a knock on.

Watching old games I was amazed how refs gave benefit of the doubt around dropped ball and the game was better for it and any mistakes generally evened themselves up before full-time.

57 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

This will sound odd but I miss Knowsley Road. Some of that is just down to the time in my life and missing going the match with my Dad but it’s also the difference in atmosphere. There was something about the old grounds though, being huddled together in the winter, banter with plenty of away fans who were better mixed in, getting real close to the pitch. 
I am proud that we have our own modern stadium and there’s a lot right with it, time moves on, but it’s not Knowsley Road 😂. 

I think, for those reasons listed, I still perversely enjoy Cas and Wakefield away, if just to reminisce about days gone by. 

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I think, for those reasons listed, I still perversely enjoy Cas and Wakefield away, if just to reminisce about days gone by. 

Have to agree with that. Of the away matches I went to most recently, pre covid, these were easily the best atmosphere. 
We even managed to have great banter with David Fafita! 

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Some of the old songs from the terraces:

The Kevin Iro song (Hi Ho it’s off to work we go - complete with whistling)

The Sonny Nickle song (One, Two, Freddy’s coming for you)

Don’t get me wrong there’s good ones now, but I’m sentimental for the ones from wayback.

"theres only 2 richie barnetts - 2 richie barnetts - theres only 2 richie barnetts 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Full tours or something like them!

Its not beyond the wit of man to create an International Calendar is it?

2022 World Cup

2023 Lions Tour of NZ, Tonga & Samoa

2024 Kangaroo Tour of Europe

2025 Northern Hemisphere Cup / Southern Hemisphere Cup

2026 World Cup

2027 Lions Tour of Australia, PNG & Fiji

2028 Kiwi Tour of Europe

2029 Northern Hemisphere Cup / Southern Hemisphere Cup

cycle starts again......

We could do with a thread on this.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes most definitely, and see below

This also,

And use a max of 4 interchanges - albeit I would prefer 2 - it would bring in fatigue and therefore more skill, that is a big reason why the game was more open along with the 5 meter rule, the behaemoth 10mtr charge down the middles would no longer be required forwards would be by nessacity more agile to play longer minutes and perhaps they would be required in field more, so instead of a second row playing in the centre all game, we would have winger v winger, centre v centre, and the Half's instead of being targeted by 8 fresh forwards could express themselves more, a bit like in the 70s/80's eh @dkw?

I'm not so sure that fatigue benefits the offense, I've been seen plenty of matches from the era before the 10-metre rule came in which tightened up in the second half.  So it might be the case that fatigue benefits the defense more, at least under those rules.

Archived