If you could bring it back...

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

position numbers on  cotton shirts instead of stupid squad numbers 

Why not have the best of both worlds by making squad numbers positional with a range of numbers for each position, e.g. 1-4 for fullbacks, 5-19 for three-quarters, 20-27 for halfbacks, and so on.  Then when a player comes off the bench his number will relate to his normal position in the team too, not just the numbers of the 13 starters.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Why not have the best of both worlds by making squad numbers positional with a range of numbers for each position, e.g. 1-4 for fullbacks, 5-19 for three-quarters, 20-27 for halfbacks, and so on.  Then when a player comes off the bench his number will relate to his normal position in the team too, not just the numbers of the 13 starters.

that gave me headache just reading it 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I remember the religious blokes always seemed present on Sundays,suggesting to us heathens that Sunday should be the day of rest. In that case,why didn't they Stay at home??

I only ever saw them at Lancashire grounds (make of that what you will) when supporting Hunslet in our customary defeats.

I also miss pitches which consisted of 90% mud and 10% grass.

As an aside,does anybody remember when Dewsbury relaid their pitch and it went badly wrong,resembling a beach after just a few games.

Somebody was preparing to take a kick at goal and some wag shouted "bring on a bucket of grass". Brought much amusement to the speccies.

i think what happened with the sandwich board guy is he actually got talking to some rugby league fans outside the ground and when he realised how pessimistic and doom laden they were it depressed him so much he decided not to come again

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 hours ago, JF1 said:

I remember the religious blokes always seemed present on Sundays,suggesting to us heathens that Sunday should be the day of rest. In that case,why didn't they Stay at home??

I only ever saw them at Lancashire grounds (make of that what you will) when supporting Hunslet in our customary defeats.

I also miss pitches which consisted of 90% mud and 10% grass.

As an aside,does anybody remember when Dewsbury relaid their pitch and it went badly wrong,resembling a beach after just a few games.

Somebody was preparing to take a kick at goal and some wag shouted "bring on a bucket of grass". Brought much amusement to the speccies.

It wasn’t relaid at dewsbury ( if the new ground) it was bad due to been built on the old pit and they relaid it after the first season at new crown flatt 

12 hours ago, Jughead said:

I think, for those reasons listed, I still perversely enjoy Cas and Wakefield away, if just to reminisce about days gone by. 

Then you could always jump on the M6 and go back 50+ years and visit Barrow no need to ride in the TARDIS, still my favourite ground to visit, albeit not had the opportunity to go since '18, has it changed since then?

You know one thing I haven`t lost is when I see old footage, St. George in particular, in the days of long-sleeved jerseys and no writing bar the number and the emblem, I can still recall that awestruck, sort of hero worship, these blokes are gods feeling that I had when I was a boy sat in front of the telly. I can still recall it even if I can`t exactly describe the feeling, it`s a kind of mystical left-over from my boyhood.

Bring back jumpers without all the advertising then I suppose.

21 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The old hyper-religious guy who paraded outside the turnstiles before every big game wearing a sandwich board that declared "the End is Nigh. Repent Now or Face your Grim Consequences" (or words to that effect)

Sandwich board: Jesus saves fallen women"

Heckler: "tell him to save one for me"

22 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Not intended to be too serious, just a bit of fun whilst it's a long off-season:

If you could bring something back into the RL matchday experience that you miss, what would it be?

I was watching a old YouTube video of my club's season review from 1994-95 (when I was a teenager), and remember how great it was to change ends at half time. I specifically recall the smell of 'Wintergreen' (?) as I passed the tunnel to the changing rooms. 

1.  Defender striking at the PTB.

2. Playing the ball to yourself.

3. Position numbers rather than squad numbers.

35 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Sandwich board: Jesus saves fallen women"

Heckler: "tell him to save one for me"

I remember going to McLaren field to watch Featherstone play Bramley some years ago (1990'ish) and before kick-off we were lamenting the fact that the team changes hadn't been announced, when one of the Bramley fans said 'This is Bramley, they announce the crowd changes to the teams here!'.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

1.  Defender striking at the PTB.

2. Playing the ball to yourself.

3. Position numbers rather than squad numbers.

Absolutely agree with the first two points.

The trouble with the third is that only the 13 starters wore numbers relating to their position on the field, the subs did not.  What's needed is a numbering system where every player's number relates to his normal position on the field, including the subs and the players who aren't in the lineup for that match.

On 11/01/2022 at 13:40, Wolford6 said:

The old hyper-religious guy who paraded outside the turnstiles before every big game wearing a sandwich board that declared "the End is Nigh. Repent Now or Face your Grim Consequences" (or words to that effect)

I think he was a Jehovah's Widnes

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

position numbers on  cotton shirts instead of stupid squad numbers 

I know I have been beating this drum for years but the positional numbers would be a major step forward for me. 

We have a game which is very tactical based around a number of key roles.  But unless new viewers of our game can identify these roles by their number/position then how can we expect them to appreciate these aspects.

When I was learning the game I would study every player in every position whether I knew their name or not.

And my enjoyment of the NRL is lifted by seeing players take the field 1 to 17 and seeing players whose name I may not know perform in each position. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 11/01/2022 at 13:16, Desert Skipper said:

Not intended to be too serious, just a bit of fun whilst it's a long off-season:

If you could bring something back into the RL matchday experience that you miss, what would it be?

I was watching a old YouTube video of my club's season review from 1994-95 (when I was a teenager), and remember how great it was to change ends at half time. I specifically recall the smell of 'Wintergreen' (?) as I passed the tunnel to the changing rooms. 

Such is the age group at the Rams, you can still savor that "wintergreen" experience. It comes from the crowd. 😉

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Ray French and Alex Murphy commentating on grandstand whilst it's cold and getting dark outside and you're lay on the couch, then the  football classified scores 😁

Knowing which amateur club each player came from and their height and weight thanks to ray French 😁

Archived