New Manchester RFL facility

Sounds promising, especially that there could be more.

“Rugby league's governing body have identified a site off Grey Mare Lane in Beswick to develop what they call a 'unique facility' which will be used by elite and community players alike, as well as young people who live in the local area.

It is the first of a number of nationwide hubs the RFL are calling 'OuRLeague Life'. They are being designed to offer a number of services including education courses, returning to work and employability courses plus a host of rugby league-related activities and programmes. Planning permission has been submitted to Manchester Council, and is the next step on the RFL's plans to lay down further roots in Manchester ahead of their relocation to the Etihad Campus later this year.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rfl-new-public-facility-manchester-22709341

Grey Mare Lane sounds like a cryptic clue for a Sunday away game in West Yorkshire.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Good news, shame they binned off Manchester Rangers though. 

Not a fan of that name to be honest. But maybe the Man City owners can be convinced to set up a professional club if rugby league gets bigger. Super League champions within 4 years.

29 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Not a fan of that name to be honest. But maybe the Man City owners can be convinced to set up a professional club if rugby league gets bigger. Super League champions within 4 years.

I know you’ve got your tongue firmly in your cheek there, but that is fantasy stuff. 

And meanwhile in the 80s, my first job was on the wool stall at Grey Mare Lane market. 

Why you may ask. Did I have a hidden talent for weaving mohair into Dennis the Menace jumpers?

No simply because it was next to the record stall and working next door gave me first pick on all the rarities and imports. 

Nevertheless a generation more, the market is gone and the RL are moving.

More concrete details kids.

It looks good. Well done RFL.

https://projectscot.com/2022/01/holmes-miller-submit-plans-for-transformational-rugby-project/

• "Land off Grey Mare Lane in the Beswick area of the city is the proposed site for a facility that will be shared between Rugby League athletes, community players, coaches and match officials, and young people and adults from the local area.
  • The plans include a two-storey building and adjacent grass pitch, along with a small pitch-facing stand attached to the main building which would serve as an education and training base."

Erm I will let fantasy fanciers fondle the thought that  MCFC might adopt RL.

I like the notion of the Grey Mare Lane centre. The game is starkly obvious in its lack of a national centre of excellence and this could be the first moves in that direction.

For those not familiar to the site, its about ten minutes walking south of the MCFC stadium. About two/three Ks from what was once Belle Vue Pleasure Gardens. The same from the city centre.

Archived