The Amateur WCC

Ok, massive pie in the sky moment here, so please refrain from letting logistics get in the way of this…

Is an Amateur WCC 9s event one that you think the RL public would take a strong interest in every 4 years?

I expect an opportunity for any IRL member nation (affiliate, observer or full member) to be offered one Club entry to this event would be well received and a great reward for domestic club participants. 

21 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

I'd be interested in pretty much anything that is 'Nines'. Just me ofcourse but I can't understand why 9's isn't a universal introduction to many parts of the game.

Looks like the forum has declared it a very underwhelming idea mate.

Just you and I will be there 😂

I think it would be difficult to sort out how far down the levels in Aus would you have to go to find genuine amateur teams. I think there’s rumours of a few NCL teams over here giving players a few quid but but I still think you could find a few very good NCL prem team that is totally amateur. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

I think it would be difficult to sort out how far down the levels in Aus would you have to go to find genuine amateur teams. I think there’s rumours of a few NCL teams over here giving players a few quid but but I still think you could find a few very good NCL prem team that is totally amateur. 

Then we'd be having arguments about amateurism. The first person to say "corinthian spirit" has to buy everyone a pint!

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Good point. Amateur is probably not what I meant. Grassroots. NCL as the highest in UK. District club footy in Sydney, Group footy in the country and the respective versions interstate.

I'm not too sure that a global amateur nines has legs, mainly due to costs and distances.

But I do believe that an annual amateur club European championship could be achievable.

At least initially, a simple eight club invitational competition, with QF, SF and F. Two NCL clubs, two from DN1 in France, plus four from other nations, like Serbia and Ukraine and other home nations.

Clearly, there will be a cost, but being invitational, only clubs wanting to participate and who are then deemed to have the financial clout to fund their travel would be invited. 

If each year's participants are announced a year in advance then there'd be plenty of time for fundraising.

I wouldn't cram it into a week, rather, the three rounds would be spread across three or so months. 

The final would be a neutral venue.

I think the concept has potential and also potential for sensible growth. 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Then we'd be having arguments about amateurism. The first person to say "corinthian spirit" has to buy everyone a pint!

No more to do with the first couple of levels below the NRL being at least equal to if not a higher standard than the championship. I’m just not sure enough of the Aussie pyramid to know how far down you’d have to go to get competitive games. 

I probably wouldn’t really care or follow it that closely, if I’m totally honest. I like the amateur game and you can see a highly entertaining game much closer than a Super League or even a League 1 game so you can see and hear things you probably wouldn’t sat in a stand but I can’t say I’d be likely to watch or attend such an event. 

An NCL 9’s, I’d probably watch games if they were local but I wouldn’t go out of my way for it. 

I liked the idea of the English champions v French champions game that took place a few years ago now that Thatto Heath won. 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

I'm not too sure that a global amateur nines has legs, mainly due to costs and distances.

But I do believe that an annual amateur club European championship could be achievable.

At least initially, a simple eight club invitational competition, with QF, SF and F. Two NCL clubs, two from DN1 in France, plus four from other nations, like Serbia and Ukraine and other home nations.

Clearly, there will be a cost, but being invitational, only clubs wanting to participate and who are then deemed to have the financial clout to fund their travel would be invited. 

If each year's participants are announced a year in advance then there'd be plenty of time for fundraising.

I wouldn't cram it into a week, rather, the three rounds would be spread across three or so months. 

The final would be a neutral venue.

I think the concept has potential and also potential for sensible growth. 

Like Euro XIIIs, which was derided by many on this forum (though personally I loved the idea). 

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

I probably wouldn’t really care or follow it that closely, if I’m totally honest. I like the amateur game and you can see a highly entertaining game much closer than a Super League or even a League 1 game so you can see and hear things you probably wouldn’t sat in a stand but I can’t say I’d be likely to watch or attend such an event. 

An NCL 9’s, I’d probably watch games if they were local but I wouldn’t go out of my way for it. 

I liked the idea of the English champions v French champions game that took place a few years ago now that Thatto Heath won. 

The NCL champions of the past used to play the Elite 2 winners entitled to promotion to Elite 1 every year.

Super close  games, always in France but fell away as the French finances ( and maybe their pride ) put a halt to it.

Would love to have it resurrected. No reason why not as the French game seems to be on the up. NCL have always been keen.

£8-10k for the trip  overall for the  English club never seen as  a problem.  Occasional hotel ' extras ' ( Oulton Raiders ?) sometimes needed to be met on the spot but a lovely time had by all.

Could even make it a Euro club top 4 Championship - Serbia's best  et al ( But would still want the trip ! )

11 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The England Lionhearts once played an Exiles style amateurs team as a curtain raiser to the Exiles test at Headingley.

I liked the concept. One year wonder I think.

England Community Lions have toured South Africa/Canada/Fiji  and the various Lionhearts teams have also toured developing nations.

14 hours ago, del capo said:

The NCL champions of the past used to play the Elite 2 winners entitled to promotion to Elite 1 every year.

Super close  games, always in France but fell away as the French finances ( and maybe their pride ) put a halt to it.

Would love to have it resurrected. No reason why not as the French game seems to be on the up. NCL have always been keen.

£8-10k for the trip  overall for the  English club never seen as  a problem.  Occasional hotel ' extras ' ( Oulton Raiders ?) sometimes needed to be met on the spot but a lovely time had by all.

Could even make it a Euro club top 4 Championship - Serbia's best  et al ( But would still want the trip ! )

I don’t remember that, sounds like a great idea. 

Not sure I share the view that the French game is on the up, given the number of teams withdrawing from Elite 1 / 2 and cancelling the cup, but hopefully the WC will give them a massive boost. 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Almost, but not quite! Reality not fantasy.

This would be current and mostly long-standing clubs and not pins in maps. 

Euro XIII had 16 teams signed up, most of whom existed already, it was stopped by the pandemic.

I do not have the full details of the Euro Club Championship that used to take place largely in France between the NCL Champions and their then effective counterparts in France - the Elite 2 winners eligible for promotion to Elite 1 the following year.

Mark Chesny is doing a book about the history of the NCL and hopefully this aspect will be covered.

What I can tell you is that Oulton won it in 2007 , Skirlaugh in 2008, Leigh East in 2010 and Thatto Heath in 2011.

For me it's return is long overdue. It's realistic , deliverable and from the point of view of our top established Community clubs not fanciful in the way we see some ideas floated on these threads.

Archived