The Sportsman to launch 20 live matches

10 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Decent! I notice it says they're gonna show some wheelchair games as well. Love wheelchair rugby league! 

Agree - think there is real scope for major growth and TV audiences for this. It is brilliant to watch and actually looks like ‘rugby’ compared to the other code’s version. Brilliant that The Sportsman will show some of these games. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

What will be interesting is after this long period with very little RL in some parts where RL is played how many folk will actually make the effort to get along to a local fixture?

This is quite an odd thing to have picked out as the "interesting" bit of this positive announcement about some of the less developed parts of our games getting much needed exposure.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

What will be interesting is after this long period with very little RL in some parts where RL is played how many folk will actually make the effort to get along to a local fixture?

It all depends on how clubs invest in enhancing the match-going experience for supporters - how they offer punters something that they can't get through their TV screen. 

If they don't want to do that, then fair enough - they'll just be like all of those retailers complaining that people are shopping on the internet instead. 

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

It all depends on how clubs invest in enhancing the match-going experience for supporters - how they offer punters something that they can't get through their TV screen. 

If they don't want to do that, then fair enough - they'll just be like all of those retailers complaining that people are shopping on the internet instead. 

A lot of the clubs will think that a pre poured pint of John smiths in a plastic cup and greasy meat pie will be enough to entice punters in. 

Just now, Eddie said:

A lot of the clubs will think that a pre poured pint of John smiths in a plastic cup and greasy meat pie will be enough to entice punters in. 

The quality of the occasion as well as the service on offer would be an interesting thread.

VFM, type of event, level of food, prices etc

I would say you aren’t far off the mark with a minority of SL Clubs though.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It might be but that isn’t what this thread is about.

8 hours ago, Just Browny said:

This is quite an odd thing to have picked out as the "interesting" bit of this positive announcement about some of the less developed parts of our games getting much needed exposure.

Simple question Browny, do you make the effort and support your local community club's?

8 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

You two guys do realise that these clubs are manned by unpaid volunteer's who are doing their utmost to keep this great game going, forsake these folk and there will be no big club's to put on the dancing girls or a place in hospitality to sip your G&T, take a bit of reality on board guy's get out there in the wind and rain and support you local community club's, jeez it's not hard.

6 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

It might be but that isn’t what this thread is about.

Fair comment LD, 

I just like to throw in comments about the grassroots occasionally and notice how about 95% of the poster's 'clam up' who haven't a clue what goes on outside of the pro/semi pro game or others who come out with snide remarks.

45 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You two guys do realise that these clubs are manned by unpaid volunteer's who are doing their utmost to keep this great game going, forsake these folk and there will be no big club's to put on the dancing girls or a place in hospitality to sip your G&T, take a bit of reality on board guy's get out there in the wind and rain and support you local community club's, jeez it's not hard.

And yet, on the Premier Sports thread, you made the same point about how the rise of TV coverage will have the same impact on Leigh and Featherstone - two clubs that we're oft led to believe are elite clubs in all but name. 

This comes down to what you want for the sport. Do you want more people to be attracted to it and more people to watch it, or not? If you do, you need to either make attending a fixture more of a draw, or you need to make the "content" more accessible to people who can't/won't attend in person (and ideally, both). 

If you don't want to do that, then enjoy the decline. 

I understand the pressures and challenges facing community clubs - I've been a shareholder at one - but it seems that we seem to go through this cycle of "fans want a TV deal" > "gets a TV deal" > "fans complain that we have a TV deal" > "loses TV deal" > "fans want a TV deal". 

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

I would sooner have a greasy meat pie at Saints instead of the free pint they’re offering season ticket holders for the Catalans match. 

Fair comment LD, 

I just like to throw in comments about the grassroots occasionally and notice how about 95% of the poster's 'clam up' who haven't a clue what goes on outside of the pro/semi pro game or others who come out with snide remarks.

Maybe some folks are tired of the tedious "I'm more of a REAL fan than YOU" one-upmanship, especially when it is shoehorned into threads about other subjects so often?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That is a very good point mate, and you’d made me feel guilty now. I do think that beer at RL (and football) grounds could be a lot better though, it wouldn’t cost any more to get something decent in instead of the swill that they almost all serve up. £4 or more for a plastic bottle of carling or worthingtons or whatever just takes the P and as a result I don’t drink in the ground when that’s all that’s on offer. I’d pay £4.50 for a decent bevvy at half time though (Brighton & Hove Albion incidentally do a good job, but it’s very rare). 

12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Simple question Browny, do you make the effort and support your local community club's?

No, I don't. I have two kids under 4 and as far as I know my local community club is at least an hour's drive away.

Still no idea what the link to this thread is though. Thank goodness for rugby on telly.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Maybe some folks are tired of the tedious "I'm more of a REAL fan than YOU" one-upmanship, especially when it is shoehorned into threads about other subjects so often?

This.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I couldn't have put it better Futtocks, this is precisely and exactly what I am referring to when it comes to the community side of the sport, most people would sidestep any discussion about it.

12 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

And yet, on the Premier Sports thread, you made the same point about how the rise of TV coverage will have the same impact on Leigh and Featherstone - two clubs that we're oft led to believe are elite clubs in all but name. 

This comes down to what you want for the sport. Do you want more people to be attracted to it and more people to watch it, or not? If you do, you need to either make attending a fixture more of a draw, or you need to make the "content" more accessible to people who can't/won't attend in person (and ideally, both). 

If you don't want to do that, then enjoy the decline. 

I understand the pressures and challenges facing community clubs - I've been a shareholder at one - but it seems that we seem to go through this cycle of "fans want a TV deal" > "gets a TV deal" > "fans complain that we have a TV deal" > "loses TV deal" > "fans want a TV deal". 

Regarding the Premier sports TV deal yes I highlighted the Fev and Leigh also the Bulls and Fax fixtures with Leigh, simply because I think that playing these games on a Monday evening will have an adverse impact on attendances, AS IT WILL ON ALL OTHER CLUB'S who host Monday night fixtures, and the recompense the club's receive in return will not compensate them for the losses they will encounter, you either agree or disagree with that. You could have posted that question on their.

Secondly re this thread, I responded to the statement

"Fantastic news.  Challenge cup games with crowds could be ñ fantastic"

Yes it would, so basically I should have answered, how many do you expect to turn up.

Lastly, good on you being a Community Club shareholder, did you influence an upturn in attendances with a suitable match day experience, that is not a sarcastic remark just being curious as this as seemingly been a bee in your bonnet for a good while.

Three posts Shropshire? That's restrained.

When I saw the title of this thread I feared the "Sportsman"" was an ironic hipster revival of a pub in Pudsey or Batley which had last been seen in really stone aged sexist 70's TV where Selwyn Froggatt saves the Sunday midday session by digging the strippers out of a pot hole. 

Let's move on.

This seems to be Fred Done's communication based on Cross Street in Manchester and Birchwood, Warrington..

Other than that I am sure someone can fill us in about what it will broadcast, how much it costs and if it will give anything back to RL.

Good news whatever way you look at it.

14 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Three posts Shropshire? That's restrained.

When I saw the title of this thread I feared the "Sportsman"" was an ironic hipster revival of a pub in Pudsey or Batley which had last been seen in really stone aged sexist 70's TV where Selwyn Froggatt saves the Sunday midday session by digging the strippers out of a pot hole. 

Let's move on.

This seems to be Fred Done's communication based on Cross Street in Manchester and Birchwood, Warrington..

Other than that I am sure someone can fill us in about what it will broadcast, how much it costs and if it will give anything back to RL.

Good news whatever way you look at it.

If you had even the slightest iota of curiosity, you'd have read the thread and found out that it is a YouTube channel that doesn't charge viewers and, if you'd read the title of this thread, that it will show 20 live matches.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived