Anglian Vipers

7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I used to be involved at Kings Lynn; pleased another team is up and running in Norfolk.

Now I vaguely remember the Kings Lynn side, correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they have a large proportion of Lithuanian players?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Now I vaguely remember the Kings Lynn side, correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they have a large proportion of Lithuanian players?

Initially. Some big lads amongst them. Tailed off towards the end I think (post-Brexit vote), a reliance on RU players at West Norfolk that didn’t quite work out, and the Dunn family likely fatigued from running it saw the club disband. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Initially. Some big lads amongst them. Tailed off towards the end I think (post-Brexit vote), a reliance on RU players at West Norfolk that didn’t quite work out, and the Dunn family likely fatigued from running it saw the club disband. 

I think it had tailed off before the Brexit vote, iirc. I think the Lithuanian National team played a match against a Welsh side a few years back and it was mainly KL players though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think it had tailed off before the Brexit vote, iirc. I think the Lithuanian National team played a match against a Welsh side a few years back and it was mainly KL players though. 

They played the Dragonhearts (Welsh amateurs) at Cardiff Arms Park. A great day! 

• Like 1

I remember the short iteration of the Norwich City Saxons. Who can tell me which of these teams I knew quite wel (or teams that replaced them)l still play in the East…

Norwich saxons

Kings Lyn

Cambridge Eagles

Bury St Edmunds

St Ives Roosters (the smell of that ground still haunts me)

Eastern Rhinos

Colchester (almost exclusively from the forces)

Bedford Tigers 

St Ives played some games in 2021, but didn't complete the season in the East Rugby League. Bedford Tigers ran two mens sides last year and a women's team, and hope to add a second womens team this year. Eastern Rhinos still going too. Ten teams in the East RL for 2022, with some clubs from the East playing in the southern conference too. Plenty of Essex teams - Brentwood, Southend, Canvey Island.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Anyone interested in either coming along to play or help out as a volunteer in any role they feel enthusiastic will be welcomed with open arms. AVRL have secured a home venue at Wymondham Rugbby Football Club where they have great facilities. The club is starting in East RL and there is a drive to develop the club to reach sustainability as soon as possible and develop relationships that will give opportunities to everyone.

This is not going to be a "one man band" as there are 3 founders (Directors of a Ltd Compnay) and 4 other volunteers plus a Coach! What we need, like any other club, is around 30 players to help us meet our first aim which is to complete all planned fixtures.

Get in touch if you're interested: chris.wildish@virgin.net

Edited by Chris Wildish
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chris Wildish said:

Anyone interested in either coming along to play or help out as a volunteer in any role they feel enthusiastic will be welcomed with open arms. AVRL have secured a home venue at Wymondham Rugbby Football Club where they have great facilities. The club is starting in East RL and there is a drive to develop the club to reach sustainability as soon as possible and develop relationships that will give opportunities to everyone.

This is not going to be a "one man band" as there are 3 founders (Directors of a Ltd Compnay) and 4 other volunteers plus a Coach! What we need, like any other club, is around 30 players to help us meet our first aim which is to complete all planned fixtures.

Get in touch if you're interested: chris.wildish@virgin.net

Excellent news! I will keep a keen eye on your progress!

My humble opinion/adivce, having started a few teams myself over the years: don't be disheartened if you do not reach thst magic 30 number right off the bat (most likely scenario). If you can muster enough players for a 9 vs 9 match, do that. Give them a taste and some incentive to keep turning up to training. And pretty soon, I am sure you will see the numbers rise. 

Good luck with everything! 

• Like 2