Premier Sports

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

What facts have come out so far? You need to quote us figures if you know them.

Inside the Championship TV deal - how clubs are planning to put the second-tier on the map - Manchester Evening News

Its like finding rocking horse poopoo to get numbers but it is a rough guess that subs will be less than 10000 - less than this were sold in Wales for the Celtic nations RU which also gave you the French T14 RU. So thats about 6-800k of income that production costs are taken from before a club see's a bean, although I heard a rumour that money would be made available to offer cheap tickets to show a better spectacle, which also came off the income.

So basically clubs will get a few grand per season at best and probably nothing for being forced to play up to 4 of its best fixtures at home on a Monday night with no restriction on away fixtures.

In a few weeks Leigh v Bradford will probably cost Leigh +£50k in gate, sponsorship and secondary sales, Fev v Leigh something similar - away fans will watch it in a local boozer. I few weeks ago I understand clubs were being told the TV money was 50-80k higher than it turned out to be - this may be the RFL holding it back to offset the financial disaster of this deal

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Inside the Championship TV deal - how clubs are planning to put the second-tier on the map - Manchester Evening News

Its like finding rocking horse poopoo to get numbers but it is a rough guess that subs will be less than 10000 - less than this were sold in Wales for the Celtic nations RU which also gave you the French T14 RU. So thats about 6-800k of income that production costs are taken from before a club see's a bean, although I heard a rumour that money would be made available to offer cheap tickets to show a better spectacle, which also came off the income.

So basically clubs will get a few grand per season at best and probably nothing for being forced to play up to 4 of its best fixtures at home on a Monday night with no restriction on away fixtures.

In a few weeks Leigh v Bradford will probably cost Leigh +£50k in gate, sponsorship and secondary sales, Fev v Leigh something similar - away fans will watch it in a local boozer. I few weeks ago I understand clubs were being told the TV money was 50-80k higher than it turned out to be - this may be the RFL holding it back to offset the financial disaster of this deal

When's the vote?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I know the subscribers for PS sports is low but I think there is value in increased exposure of full games 

As a Broncos fan I'm looking forward to seeing other teams in my league play full matches regularly with decent TV quality coverage 

What price a general 'lift' in interest / exposure ?

On 16/01/2022 at 12:56, sweaty craiq said:

I would say the opposite, you are diluting the brand by halving admission cost to adults and giving kids away for free.

first up on a Sunday 3pm you must expect 3500 for this plus a huge secondary spend, so a 7000 gate at half price would be needed if secondary spend is ignored

good luck

Why would you ignore secondary spend when quoting the 7000 gate but add the comment of "huge secondary spend" when using the 3,500 number? you either ignore it or you dont. 

41 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Ok. I don't doubt for a moment that the financial scenario is very unfavourable for the clubs concerned, so I suppose it comes to a balancing act - ie what is the value to the Championship overall to have TV coverage (the lack of which has been widely lamented ever since the first Premier Sports coverage disappeared with the arrival of the Sky deal), versus the losses from games moving from Sunday afternoons to Monday evenings. It will be interesting to see how the crowds hold up.

28 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ok. I don't doubt for a moment that the financial scenario is very unfavourable for the clubs concerned, so I suppose it comes to a balancing act - ie what is the value to the Championship overall to have TV coverage (the lack of which has been widely lamented ever since the first Premier Sports coverage disappeared with the arrival of the Sky deal), versus the losses from games moving from Sunday afternoons to Monday evenings. It will be interesting to see how the crowds hold up.

Agreed....I would say on a Monday-Weds rugby league does not register much with me in the average season 

Having a Monday game maintains a bigger interest in existing fans 

8 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Its SL getting on Stobart trucks but worse, as they had a Sky pot as well

To get interest and promote an asset it could have been done 6pm Sunday nights on Our League, with a highlights show the following night, the APP has a bigger take up and clubs already video games - so if each Sunday night game was a fiver then all parties benefit and we have a pay per view asset/stats in the RL locker for the future.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Its SL getting on Stobart trucks but worse, as they had a Sky pot as well

Well I never went out driving just to look for a Stobart truck, but I'll be tuning into Premier each Monday night.

Seriously, I do take your point (and you haven't mentioned the players, few of whom, especially the part-timers, will be at all enamoured with the idea of playing on Monday evenings). I just really hope Premier does well as it's been too long since we had regular Championship RL in a traditional televised format.

On 13/01/2022 at 13:59, Thunder Road said:

Not had a problem with PS to be fair.

Got it for £60 with zero mither.

I went into my account and removed the auto subscribe option for next year.

They don't mention that when you sign up. I asked and they informed me. 

As for Sky sports, when you are within a month of your subscription being up ring sky and ask to speak to the retentions dept.

Don't enter into conversion with the the person who you are chatting to.Chances are this is a subsidiary company employed to try and get you on a fast deal.

My deal was up before Christmas. They said my new payments would be £132....

30 minutes onto the retentions dept.and I agreed an 18 month deal at £96 a month.

Martin Lewis  gives good advice on this subject. 

£132 !!!!! ???? please tell me you get your tea made and a bevvy handed to you every time you turn your tv on for that price? what on earth are you paying so much for, is tv really that expensive these days?

Used to have virign at around £120-130 a month.. then also had Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney etc... 

binned it off around august last year.. just have internet through BT and TV is smart TV with Now TV added to the above (sport on and off when I need it).. havent missed having anything as not quite sure what i dont have now that i had before (obviously didnt watch it whatever it was!) and I'm around £50- 70 better off (depending on the month).. the internet is much better too (he says touching every piece of wood he can find!!)

On 16/01/2022 at 14:35, Gav Wilson said:

Thats totally irrelevant to what you were claiming.

Kids under 16 have got in for free at York since 2017.

As they should too.  Better to have the whole family in for the price of 2 adult tickets than none of them because the adults can't or won't go without the kids and think it's too expensive if they have to pay for the kids as well.  There's none of the secondary spend sweaty craig mentioned if they all stay away!

This deal doesn't look to be any good, they are getting the best pick of the round and clubs selected will be worse off financially for it. If it wasn't subscription TV then fine for exposure trade off, but this is for existing RL fans and proper hard-core sports fans that have premier anyway.....

As sweaty says better off having them on the app that's been developed through blood sweat and tears.....some free and some ppv.....

1 hour ago, Szymala said:

What is the going rate for this service - is it £12.99 per month ?

I'd love to know how many have actually signed up for it.

60 quod for the year when I signed up... but to be fair they have other stuff on there that I'd be buying to watch too.. so for me a bargain.

I did email them and suggested they should explore other League to compliment e.g. the European nations or French or Serbian, or some ncl like they used to put on. I'm not sure I would  pay the non-discount rate of 12 quid a month for one championship game a week. 

On 18/01/2022 at 09:45, sweaty craiq said:

Yes, let's tell the TV firms we don't want RL on TV as some fans will stay at home.

Archived